Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Delighted, if slightly taken aback, to see Marty Moore in the A squad.

Personally, I would have had McIlroy over Nash, but given we've lost Baloucoune, Lowry and Stockdale from our back three and Addison's (inevitably) injured, glad he wasn't, from an Ulster point of view.

Not sure what the crack is with Doak.

McCloskey's Ireland resurgence happens to come when we've a head coach who likes off-loading. No surprise. It's understandable obviously that he's behind Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw, but he was always an ill fit with Schmidt's game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, maybe that was part of the objective of the EI tour, to identify some guys who might be of more interest to the national coaches than their place in the provincial pecking order would indicate. If Nash fits that bill, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Nash is probably a better right wing than Daly. The latter is more at home on the left - if he's playing wing - in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're reading something into a post that's not there.

As I said elsewhere you seem to want an argument so goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't think there are any contentious calls in the squad really. It's a selection of all the fit senior players; a sprinkling of very promising uncapped players; and an A side who are just as promising but a but further down the depth chart.

In recent years Farrell has gotten his selection right for the 23 and the wider squad. We're in a very good position right now, barring the injuries to Lowe, JGP, Henderson etc.

I'd rather be in our position now than Scotland's for instance. They've removed the captaincy from Hogg and dropped Russell from the squad altogether.

• Advertisement

If I'm reading something into your post that wasn't there, then what was the point of the post? Because it clearly reads as criticism of the EI tour.

Sorry, you want me to engage with you so you can have an argument about something I didn't say.

That's mad Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Disappointed to see Murray still getting picked, don't see the point at all. I can accept Casey, but I wouldn't say he's been better than any of the Ulster or Connacht SHs. Seems so bizarre that the province with the worst style of attacking play at the moment would provide 2 out of 3 9s.

No, I'm not looking for an argument.

I'm asking you what was the point of your post, simply pointing out information that you clearly verify yourself, if it wasn't as I construed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

With Aki suspended and Hume probably not ready to get into the Irish side this autumn after as long lay off this is McCloskey's golden chance to cement himself potentially in that Henshaw,Ringrose,Aki argument. I know a completely different position but after seeing what Conan was able to do going from barely getting into Irish 23's to nailing himself down as a proper test animal the last 12-18 months while being the same age as McCloskey I wouldn't be surprised if he does likewise as he's clearly got the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 zappe brannigan

Most moronic troll account here by miles. Indictment on the moderators that they don’t cut out this shite.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Casey is probably the closest there is to a like-for-like replace to JGP, tbh.

And for all of Munster's issues in attack, Casey isn't one of them. We're performing poorly in attacking despite the service and tempo he's bringing.

I think this is the season we'll see Casey overtaking Murray provincially; if that happens, it'll be interesting to see if/how that impacts Murray's inclusion with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Does Daly have a higher upside? He's 25 (almost 26) and has never stood out in any big games for Munster. I'm not saying Nash is definitely better, but I've never seen compelling evidence that Daly is better either. They were both on the emerging tour and Nash obviously impressed them more. He was also better v the Bulls.

I'm surprised McIlroy wasn't picked actually. He's done it in huge European games for Ulster.

I can understand Murray being on the bench to close out a game we're winning. He has done that well in the past, to be fair to him.

The issue I'd have, is if he's starts when JGP is injured, like we saw against Argentina last year. If JGP is injured, Casey should come into the starting XV.

Let people win arguments on purpose to conserve your own mental peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Murray is the most interesting conundrum for us hurling from the ditch. He hasn't been impressive as an attacking SH for Munster or Ireland for a long time and his provincial days are numbered. But as a bench option for Ireland I was impressed by him in NZ. Ireland generally go into the last quarter leading in games they win, they've been scoring early and having solid first half performances in all their successful matches and the game plan is obviously to blow teams away asap (I know England this year was different). Murray coming in on 65 or 70 minutes to close out matches, milk a penalty, hold up strongly in defense, slow it down as necessary, has worked remarkably well.

Different positons as you mention, but back-row and midfield are both areas of depth and strength for us.

You mention Conan by way of example for McCloskey, but even after his good form in 20/21, he found himself on the bench for the 3 Tests in NZ this Summer.

McCloskey will have to absolutely nail any chances he gets imo to give himself any chance (similar to Conan did vs England in 2021) and sustain it.

Its not known for sure but based on the recent evidence he is, plus form is only temporary and for all we know things could change in a month.

Exactly and that extra competition is likely to bring the best out of all the players in these positions as there is no shortage of quality to replace them if they have an off day.

True but he is a 3 test Lions starter (even keeping out Faletau of a Lions side coaches by Warren Gatland which was probably seen as impossible until it happened) and pretty much becoming our established 8 up until the NZL tour, in NZL it was more of a horses for courses selection as O'Mahony is crucial for the lineout and Doris just being a better player.

The fact of the matter is in less than 2 years he went from being a good option but ultimately not one you would bank at being a big player for Ireland at test level, to being just that granted with the competition in the BR he will inevitably find himself on the bench from time to time ( the only exception is if you are VDF who is probably our best player right now). I definitely see similarities in McCloskey, everyone can see he's a quality player but what he needs now is a proper opportunity in this window to stake a claim, I would say against Australia as SA you need you're proven best team out if possible, and if he does maybe he'll prove himself to be a could alternative to Henshaw and Aki at 12 rather than just being a tackle bag holder.

What recent evidence? I don't think there is any.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with a decent amout of that but this:

..in NZL it was more of a horses for courses selection as O'Mahony is crucial for the lineout.

I don't think is accurate. POM was coming off the back of a phenomenal season.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

I'm still not sure about Murray on the bench. There are better options. There isn't a huge skill demand for playing slow for the last 15 minutes. Any high level scrum half can do it. Problem is if JGP goes off early then we're stuck with a slow scrum half who doesn't threaten around the ruck.

I think Casey is looking good this year and would be surprised if he doesn't start the big matches for Munster. If JGP is out he should start for Ireland.

Take out Murrays reputation and go on form would he make the match day squad of any of the other provinces? Not so sure he would...

The one thing Murray is head and shoulders above the others is his defence esp when we're defending our try line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

I think you're right that he's not in the top group of SHs in the country but...Farrell selects him for very particular reasons. Could he play the game Ireland like to play if JGP got hurt after 15 minutes, Im not sure. Do I want him coming on if we are ahead in a WC semi final with 15 minutes to go...I'm guessing Farrell does, or at least it worked out very well for him in NZ. Could be very different next year but his inclusion here says something and if he is in the match day 23 against SA I'd say Farrell's mind is made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

McCloskey is absolutely the beneficiary of Aki and Hume's misfortune and even Frawley's redeployment to out-half, but that said, he's one tweaked hamstring away from starting against South Africa. After that, who knows? Plenty of guys have got a shot through some sort of lucky break, where they diverge is that some guys seize those chances and don't give the jersey back, others fade back into the chasing pack.

And in fairness to Farrell, he's shown that he's not overly loyal to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Listening to the Provincial State of Mind podcast and they made an interesting point that Frawley being picked as third choice in his own province is a weird choice.

Not because he isnt good enough, but when will he play 10? So, he plays ireland A and maybe the Fiji test, and then he barely plays any 10 until the 6 nations, and no big games?

That seems untenable to me. Second choice is one thing because of squad rotation but third seems kind of nuts.

edit: This is me paraphrasing what was said in first two paragraphs. I might have misunderstood or got it wrong.

And yet, the Three Red Kings guy from PSOM was ranting on twitter that Munster's Jack Crowley should have been ahead of Frawley.

Crowley, who is 3rd choice at Munster...

Wouldn't take anything that guy says seriously.

I’m guessing Crowley would need to pass Carberry at Munster, or at least Healy. Which seems fair to me.

It’s not a concern that Frawley will be third choice at leinster?

Edit: i personally think crowley will be number 1 at munster by the end of the year, but he needs to prove that first.

It’s not a concern that Frawley will be third choice at leinster?

No more than Crowley being 3rd choice at Munster. The guy from PSOM is complaining that Frawley is picked while 3rd choice at Leinster, but wants Munster's 3rd choice 10 (Crowley) picked ahead of him. I'm just pointing out his hypocrisy.

I mean, yeah it's a worry. But our whole situation at 10, and the fact that Ireland's entire world cup hopes rest on a 38 year old not getting injured is also a worry.

• Advertisement

Yea, id see that as a problem either way, crowley or frawley. I honestly dont believe Crowley will be third choice though very long, if he even still is.

Advertisement