Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

They've been promoting that concept for while now so its interesting to see the final product. Wouldnt like to be opening that door up in the lashing rain. I can see it certainly being useful enough in the inner cities of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's an investment in happiness, worth every penny 😉

It's actually not the worst value at €15k when you think about it. There's cheaper mini EVs out there, but very few of them can do 90km/h and have enough range to get around all of county Dublin. Also, €50 motor tax and no VRT to pay 😁

I'm curious if the Lite version is just software limited. It's possible you could get one and then unlock the higher top speed

If I was living in the city and I needed something to zip around I'd consider one of these. I imagine you'd never have trouble finding parking 😁

I could see GoCar or someone similar getting a bunch of these for cities, they can fit two of them into every car parking space they have rented from the councils and double their fleet

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Yeah but where do you charge them. GoCar retired all Zoes and Leafs and has 4 Konas left. Big backlash with the cars left charging for days. DCC doesn't want slow chargers in the city, hec they don't want moving cars on the streets only parked ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think the rules changed for gocar and they did not want to install their own street chargers. They were getting clamped in high numbers for being still parked when charging was completed and they had no easy way to move cars when full. Naturally they all should have had a dedicated spot and charger but gocar does not even have dedicated markings in many places let alone chargers. From their point of view it's straying from the core business of car share. Supporting, installing, repairing public or private in street chargers is a headache they don't want. It also limits where the cars can be based and presumably creates more confusion and support calls for those new to EV. I am not saying they are right, just they are a profit driven commercial outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Advertisement

True, but to give a counter argument they also have to cover the fuel, tax and insurance costs on their cars. Micro EVs would be cheaper on all counts.

There's definitely an investment required to make it work. But if other cities can make it work then I think it could work for Irish cities. There would definitely need to be some buy in from councils in terms of being flexible with providing reserved parking and chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Over in Florida at the minute, seen 1 Rivian, 2 Ioniqs and then every day a shed load of Teslas.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

God I wish just one of those EV trucks would be brought here. Come on rivian, you have offices in the UK, bring the truck to europe! Or F150 lightning, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would be quite something to drive a huge machine around all over the shop and to charge it from your own solar 😁😎

• Advertisement

I was surprised by the Rivian, it's really not that big (by American standards)

Are you serious? It's a monster of a yoke. It's huge. Far bigger than a Tesla Model X

5.51*2.08*1.92m

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Question: Do you generally charge your electric vehicle when there is thunder and lightning?

When it was parked next to a Yucon XL and a F350 it's relatively small

First one of these seen today, black Taycan drove by soon afterwards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The Rivian is still fairly big, but if I was to guess after seeing one in the metal, it’s roughly the same size as our Ford Ranger. It’s a good bit smaller than a F150 size truck.

I haven't had the opportunity, but I can't imagine it makes the car any more likely to be struck by lightning

Don't worry, that turbine off Arklow took one for the team and got struck by all the lightning it seems

That whole farm is mickey mouse anyway and ancient, probably end of life. In total it has just 25MW. The current standard is almost as much for just a single turbine.

The yanks class it as a mid size truck. What we would have over here as a ranger.

It's a full size down from the proper full size trucks like the F150 (eg look at TFL EV's comparison video of the rivian and f150 lightning, you will see the size difference).

As you know, I've had a few yank trucks over here but they were older. I'd be looking at north of six figures to have even a base F150 lightning or r1t here currently as a grey import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I unplugged the Tesla yesterday after the first sign of lightning. We previously lost a DVD player during electrical storm and keeping that in mind I wanted to rather be safe than sorry. Potentialy a few millions of Volts in the AC port doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It is a real risk. Your house does not need to be directly hit. A nearby hit or a hit in the overhead power lines feeding your house can introduce a spike that pops electronics like home car chargers, TVs and other sensitive electronics. I have seen direct strikes knock things bolted to walls.

If you hear thunder safer to unplug car and plug out TV including the aerial connections just in case. It's about 4 days a year.

Insurance will cover it. I'm not plugging out anything.

Same here. If we were to live life like that we'd never drive at all due to the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sound like one of those risk an electrical engineer would roll their eyes at. More chance you get struck going out to unplug it.

That's it. I'll sell my motorcycles next and will move to a padded cell now that I'm "like that". ;-)

I suspect my insurance would not cover an electrical fault unless it was a direct hit with paint damage etc. In that case having it plugged in or not won't make any difference. Cars can be extensively be damaged by a lightning strike if you're unlucky. Happened to a friend of mine in Finland where a direct lightning hit wrote off their A1 with extensive damage to ECUs etc. They had actually bodywork damage as well proving that is was indeed a direct strike of lightning.

2 hour talk on ROI and border future charging. Organised by "faster" which has money for chargers in border counties.

ESB e cars

ESB networks

Easygo

Irish ev owners association

Journalist

Others.

Louth co co who is planning to roll out chargers in all border counties on ROI side of border. I have only listened to half of it.

The faster/Louth only intends using council owned sites with pay to use by credit card, sites are shortlisted and mentioned on e-tenders (I don't know where). They said they are forbidden from using petrol stations etc. They also said they are not looking at profit but commutes or routes not catered for by existing sites.

Easygo may introduce ICE sensors in front of chargers to update the app to say charger free but parking spot blocked. This could be fed to parking warden. I know ionity have parking sensors in the likes of cashel, but data is not shared with users. ESB ecars mentioned parking enforcement based on car registration and cctv but said it was too expensive. Marking spots with green paint is effective.

Touch to pay by card mentioned in future but too difficult for smaller AC chargers, particularly as a retrofit.

ESB overstay fee is EVERY 45 minutes so 8 euro every 45 minutes. They said per minute billing had technical issues. (easygo used to do this but switched to 60 minute fixed overstay fee. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"marking spots with green paint is effective"

Like the DC chargers on Sir John Rogerson's Quay. I emailed them to ask why they couldn't have moved them further down the quay ie a dedicated charging area. Also why was the ground not painted green (I went down to charge and all 3 spots were taken by diesel SUV's).

They said they were doing it "next week". Weeks later and it still wasn't done.

Advertisement