Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

They also build more coal power stations than anyone else - I heard it was like one a fortnight or something bonkers?! But I guess it's not to be surprising. They have a huge population, many millions of people going from effectively a subsistence agricultural mindset to more of an urban one and of course the power requirements are different. More (Electric) cars being bought etc.

Massive power requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's not even their own population, it's the fact that they make everything for everybody in the whole world 😁

It's true about the coal power stations, although they use the least filthy technology afaik. They simply need an enormous amount of power.

True - a trade war with China will end only one way :-)

Still....

China is building more than half of the world's new coal power plants | New Scientist

Even with the best CO2 scrubbers in existence, you're still getting a lot of emissions out there. Granted their options are somewhat limited. They need the power and they need it to come online quickly, and they have the worlds largest deposits of coal, so i understand the willingness to use that, but it's worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I dunno, a lot of China's added capacity smacks of mismanagement. They're economic model is based on infinite unsustainable growth (same as most of the modern world, just on steroids)

A lot of their economy demands that everything is always increasing, including generating capacity

Rather than risk upsetting the artificial growth chart, or increase efficiency, they just build more coal fired power because it's readily available and cheap for them to install

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

yeah, that's what I was saying above Raisin. They have one of the largest, or thee largest coal deposits on the planet, so it's a readily available resource for them to exploit. One thing that makes them different from the rest of the world is that 50 years ago in terms of ecomonics, most of the western world was 1st world. Most of china 50 years ago was peasant farmers. That's not to say that there weren't high tech people in china 50 years ago, but rather the dominant demographics isn't/wasn't the same. So the need for power there has exploded exponentially as the "urbanification" happened. Car ownership, computers, etc.

While it looks like the growth rate is nuts, it's only cause they are in some respects catching up - but yeah, the "law of large numbers" will catch them....eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Things are starting to rumble there. It will be an interesting few years ahead, Xi has brought them a long way down the wrong path

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Anyone looking for smart plugs? Good offer on Sonoff, 37% off a 4 pack costing €24.78 delivered on Amazon Prime. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0813CMZHZ?psc=1&smid=A26QA7NDH2SGKH&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

No energy monitoring but good value.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

We lost a turbine today, let us take a moment of silence for all the good work it's given us over the years

So how long before the Muppet brigade comes out and starts talking about how every single wind turbine ever has exploded into flames and destroyed three schools and an animal hospital in the process?

Although, did they forget to put lightning protection on the thing or something? I guess it must have just been hit too hard

Who is "we" in this case? Some multinational investment corp looking after the pensions of well-to-do New Yorkers? They can well afford a new one I'd say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Very little. You can run one in your hand. But it's still a heat engine so max theoretical efficiency is still the temperature difference between hot and cold divided by the hot temperature. In theory they work better when it's cold , whereas the cold temperature for steam turbines is limited by the boiling point of water even if you can reduce it a good bit by partial vacuum when condensing steam.

They can be made as sealed generator units with a free piston. One moving part. Then again one of the reasons they started using electric torpedoes was because internal combustion engines need higher tolerances than electric motors. So while I'd like to see a cheap cylinder with two terminals we may be waiting a while.

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~khirata/indexe.htm with plans for DIY toy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The total on grid is still up to 75% but we can export too. Renewables have produced up to 96% of the amount of local demand because we were exporting close to 25% of what was on the grid at the time. (The 25% was mostly fossil fuel for spinning reserve, high inertial and grid stability near the large cities. But could also be hydro, CHP, incinerator, biomass.)

Single Energy Market documents https://www.sem-o.com/publications/general-publications/

Grid Constraints - non-synch generation is still limited to 75% (future target is 95%)   Week 42 2022 Weekly Operational Constraints Update

I thought @the_amazing_raisin found a specific stirling engine with 700w output but I can find no details of it anywhere. Lots of toy ones or ones that need a propane flame or similar to run. 700w from the back of a stove would be great

Fogas do a CHP thing with a Stirling engine IIRC 1KW electrical output from 5-15KW heat output. Handy if you have an old folks home or hotel where you have the heat on 24/7 https://www.flogas.ie/business/business-heating/chp-combined-heat-and-power-systems.html

random google found this https://helec.co.uk/products/stirling-engine-chp/ - 37% electrically efficient (95% as CHP ) 60,000 hours free piston sealed unit , no costs though :( and you have to use it for at least 4-6 hours at a time and it's not worth doing unless you can use all the heat.

Ahh they are burning the gas directly inside the thing so probably close to 2000 degrees temperature differential. You might struggle to get it to run off a renewable source of flame unless it's from a digester. Still this is interesting stuff. 60,000 hours is impressive compared to normal combustion engines

GE renewables in this case, but we've lost the generation capacity at a time when we need all the renewables we can get

I know Arklow bank is pretty outdated, and a shell of what it's supposed to be. But it's always frustrating to see a turbine get destroyed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How does it work? You get paid not to use power, or you get paid £3/kw to inject power during peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Looks like not to use, most likely will have an effect here if they are preparing for rolling blackouts. I'll be saving a little bit more in the batteries for the power cuts so.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Seems you get paid to shift demand to night time. It seems that OVO are doing it on as a percentage of your usage, if less than 12.5% of your usage is during peak times you get a bonus

Not sure how the others are doing it, maybe they're using power profiles to figure out what appliances are running at what times

It's a bit intrusive, but it's also a great example of how smart meters can actually be used to save money for both the customer and the grid

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I used 73 kwh last night.. 😂 Although that's over the 9 night rate hrs.

Per hour I could pull 7 on the car, up to 6 charging house batteries, and suppose I could do 6 on the tank lol... Only have a 16kva supply though.

• Advertisement

Has the Guardian sacked all editors and do they not use any free spell checkers either? 🙄

KW hour

kilowatt hour 

kW/h

I'd say they're too preoccupied with truss to bother with the minor articles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Tbh, this is great to get paid in UK to load-shift. We humans change very reluctantly for the most part (me included). And often go back to the old way of doing it quickly. So here’s the carrot (save money on bills, which most are likely worried about to some degree anyway). The stick is rolling power cuts otherwise.

For now it’s a simple step1 of the journey. Cut usage between X and Y hours and get paid (somehow).

Then as people get better at it, the industry can do more to change the time we load-shift to. IMO peak TOU rates are gonna keep climbing. So if we can all learn to load shift (and electricity industry can then tell us what times are the best), it’s all good. I know there’s load on this forum already ninjas at it.

But even for me as recently as maybe 2+ years ago, I’d no sense there was an impact to using power at certain times of the day. But I'd be very much the only one in my family (siblings and parents) now with that understanding. So money talks, and this carrot helps behavioural change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking for 2 x 300W panels, have space at the end of a string for 2 more.

Any recommendations on where to look?

I agree 100%, saving money is often a harder sell than it should be. But as soon as you start dangling money in front of people to do something fairly simple then they'll jump up and pay attention

One thing I was thinking recently to get rid of that evening peak would be to roll out hot dinners in schools. A lot of that peak demand is from cooking dinner, and a lot of the reason people are having dinner in the evening is because their kids haven't had a hot meal all day

Giving kids a hot dinner in school would make it easier for the parents to also do the same. It would then mean you could have something a lot simpler in the evening which doesn't need to be cooked (or not as much), reducing the electricity demand

It would also have the side benefit of hopefully getting some more nutritious food into kids. I know that somehow when my kids see other kids eating fruit and vegetables they have no problem eating them, but whenever they're at home you'd swear they were worried about being poisoned 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You would need the same panels ideally, or very similar ones.

If they are 300w are they a few years old?

4 or 5 year old JA Solar 300W Mono Si 60 Cells

Do they have to be the same or would just the same wattage do?

It doesn't matter if they're not the same, but your string will be pulled down in performance to the least powerful panel. But does that not stop you buying some panels, you might well find a 350W panel cheaper than a 300W panel

Ya basically looking for the 2 x cheapest over 300W panels I can get my hands on

• Advertisement

That's the spirit. The best solar PV panel is the one that is the cheapest 😁

Advertisement