Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Congratulations and hope you have many years of safe and happy motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Congratulations @freshpopcorn Delighted for you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Well done @freshpopcorn. Can barely remember mine but it's a great feeling to get your licence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thanks everybody. I got it the second time around. I basically started driving properly in September 2021. Some lessons got cancelled, postponed, etc. I did a test on Rudolph Day in the Summer. When I was booking it I picked it because it was Rudolph Day but it didn't go according to plan. Progress essentially caught me out and I felt fine after failing. I booked another test straight away.

I was fine up to a few days practicing and I clipped a curb turning left and then I became over critical of everything I was doing.

Last night was terrible I was just so restless. I was tempted to cancel the booking.

Started off okay. I kept on turning on and off my wipers. I did the hill start in an unusual places. I was always good with them, mirrors, indicators, observations, etc.

I then did the turnabout in a place I never did it before and I went to pieces. My leg went and my clutch control was awful and it took me loads of maneuvers and I was certain I failed. I carried on and did my reverse in my least favorite space but I did yet again with terrible clutch control but I never stalled. I took off and I reacted badly to a hazard and I was certain I got a grade three but it was only a grade two. Did a bit more driving around picked up faults for position turning left and I went back to the test center. (I accidently left my mouth open for most of the test.) When he told me I passed tears welled up.(This doesn't happen to me.) I was honestly speechless. I was certain I failed. It took a few minutes for my speech to return.

If anybody is every doing a test and you think you've failed don't give up doing the little things. I nearly did Today and stuck at it and it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Con'grats @freshpopcorn, you can drive the slay now 😂

About time. One less thing to get the blood pressure up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Congrats @freshpopcorn! I passed mine 15 years ago (😲😲😲) and was convinced I had failed it too. It was back when they had to bring the private company in to get through the backlog of tests. I had to wait 11 months for mine! It only lasted 20 minutes and I feared she had seen enough to fail me, I too nearly burst into tears when she handed me the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Good work @freshpopcorn always good to have that one out of the way. Wear those N plates with pride!!!

Was in Sligo yesterday on site with a client & have to say the drive down & moreso back really gave me time to think of Christmas, I'd have loved for Christmas FM to have been on to keep me company but had to settle for Newstalk instead when I was out of range for Nova... had me thinking though, less than 6 weeks until Christmas FM is back, and less than 2 weeks until advert season starts in earnest... I should be getting fierce excited, especially this year, but work stress/pressure has me very much in the here & now & dealing with endless amounts of issues... I wish just once I could stop & unwind a little & relax into the season, never seems to work out that way though unfortunately.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Good man @freshpopcorn! I still remember mine, it was hateful.

Stressful morning here as I was giving Santa a dig out & letting him store some of the larger Christmas presents in the attic & suddenly realised that he was probably sending them in their original packaging 😬 Had to stalk the DPD driver until he got here so that I could redirect him to next door. I doubt he has ever seen someone shoot out the front door so fast at 7.30am on a dark, wet morning. Absolute gent though, he knew exactly why I was coming out to him & no problem at all to bring it next door. Unsung heroes of the world delivery drivers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd say you are not the first Santa's helper he has had to deal with @CheerLouth but you might have been the first this year 😆

Well done @freshpopcorn that's great news. I also passed second time, a long time ago. Sounds like you did a great job, a few things didn't go to plan but you kept going, didn't panic and drove safely - and passed!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately work can be like that, with quarter/year end deadlines, reporting etc. I reckon I'll just have to accept it till retirement!!

We got caught out yesterday. The OH had ordered one of the Santa presents from Amazon. Elf1 came down yesterday morning saw Alexa with the orange ring so asked if we had any notifications, 'Your order of XYZ is due for delivery....'!! I tried to blag it off as being a birthday present for one of the cousins. Hopefully they will have forgotten by Christmas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do think it's sort of stupid that a certain toy retailer doesn't have plain packaging on their online orders. They could even have it as option.

To be fair, anytime we had deliveries from Smyths they always arrived in plain cardboard packaging. Was rare we got a the actuals items own packaging on show giving the game away. Must have been lucky.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The delivery drivers were the back bone of the country during the pandemic. Massive unsung heroes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Couldn't agree more, we had one DPD driver who was almost like a member of the family 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It tends to be the larger items...bikes, scooters etc that they send out in the original packaging. Which on the whole does not bother me - why put a box in another box but they could have wrapping in brown paper as an optional extra. I'm sure Santa would have had no problem spending the extra few bob for the reduced stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Hope everyone is doing well ans everyone feels better! Wife and child being released from hospital hopefully today can't wait to get them home! Nothing major wrong but they were humming and hawing about doing something and that caused the delay. Came over for a coffee before I can go in and visit and seen my first batch of charity Christmas cards! Another thing to mark off my own personal list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They can be abit slow releasing you on your first.

On your second they boot you out fairly promptly

Yes, they always like to make sure everything is OK before they release them. Alway nice to have everyone home and then the real work begins!

Serious thunder and lightning out here now with the heavy rain. Stay safe everyone if you are out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That was easily the longest Thunderstorm I've experienced here since my childhood! Spooky weather for Spooky season I guess.

Are you based in Dublin? We had around an hour of it on the Northside.

It was great....though would have been better if it was darker to really see the lightning.

Some of the lightning flashes were pretty bright even though it was daylight. Cloud cover was so heavy that was very very dull.

Had lights on all day in the house.

I'm based just off Stephens Green & it was unbelievably loud. Was on a teams meeting & others on it noted the sound and asked what it was, that's how loud it was. Cant remember thunder that loud in a long long time.

Not looking forward to the drive home, the traffic will be awful.

• Advertisement

It was loud . We've triple glazed windows and I have hearing aids in both ears and I still heard one boom ..... something I haven't heard in a very long time.

The lightning was to the front of the house then the back of the house so I'd say we were pretty much in centre of it at one stage.

Some local roads half flooded.

Took just under an hour and a half to drive home, that was leaving the office at 6.30... pain in the proverbials.

Awful day altogether! It was dark pretty much all day. I got home at a quarter to six though, which wasn't bad at all. That was some thunder, alright!!

Wow more lightning in the dark.... chucking down.

I'd love to head up to howth head now and look over the bay.

Live scenes of before and during a lightning flash. Mad weather!!

• Advertisement

Think it moved north or out to sea.

We got a good show though. Eldest elf was able to watch it from bed.... delighted with life 😂😂😂

It's crazy! I am not used to lightning like that at all. ⚡️⚡️It is only starting to (slightly) ease off now, but there's still a good few rumbles and flashes. Still lashing though, my patio is more like a pond! 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

The weather was horrible today. My teens walked home from school during the lunchtime thunderstorm and hit me up for hot chocolate when they got here. I was only in from work and had a few mins before heading out to the junior school op pen day to make teas and coffees. Think the weather kept many at home though.

My brother showed me a video of a wind turbine off Arklow that was hit by lightning and sort of blew up - it's mad Ted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sending best wishes to everyone

Anyone buy any gig tickets for next year?. This time of year can be exciting but as an avid gig goer also an expensive one for me

The last few weeks I should of just went and set up a direct debit for Ticketmaster 😳🙃. Bought tickets for

Depeche Mode in Malahide Castle in June

Blink 182 in the 3Arena next September

Trivium in the Helix in January just under 2 weeks after this Xmas

All these added to Bruce Springsteen in the RDS (Day 2) and rumours of a Def Leppard/Motley Crue Co headline Euro stadium tour making my bank account cry 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Not a big gig goer at all but showing my age here I would love to see Depeche Mode in Malahide, might never get another chance. Also every year I say I'm definitely going to Forever Young next year!

Going to Blink 182 myself. The outdoor ones I have very little interest in at my age, far too much hassle to get to & from.

Booked tickets for Florence and the Machine in Malahide Castle next June. Not a massive concert goer however some friends are going and we can walk there and home. Enjoyed the experience of the one we went to last summer.

6-0 baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm still firmly in the getting ready for Halloween phase. Scary films,pumpkins,decorations and we're having a bit of a party on the Sunday!

However, I am behind on my usual Christmas present buying schedule, bills got more expensive, and we had a run of roundy birthdays. I'm a civil servant so we're getting some back pay due to a pay agreement and hopefully it'll be here soon. Once I know when that's being paid, I'll use it to buy my presents and throw whatever's left off future bills....and if I'm doing ok budget wise maybe a light up reindeer.Dunnes have one that I'm tempted to get now. Dunnes Stores | Brightwhite Outdoor Battery Reindeer .I'll have to pin down his little feet with tent pegs in case of weather like yesterday if I'm not at home to bring him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The gigs all being announced now are killing me!

If I'd have had my way I'd have bought tickets to Lizzo,Arctic Monkeys and Blink 182. Blink still have tickets but 250 for seated tickets is a joke. I think I'll try get tickets to the coronas for next summer but I'm not too worried about them selling out.

I'm going to the Cure on the 1st of December and can't wait :)

• Advertisement

Yeah have a few bits left for the rest of the year

Biffy Clyro 3Arena 8th Nov

Ireland vs Haaland sorry Norway- 17th Nov

The Cure 3Arena 1st Dec

Alter Bridge 3Arena 8th Dec (little Christmas in the big wig will be fun ha)

Only gig we have planned is Ham sandwich in Whelans, looking forward to that one.

Seen them years ago in a tiny venue. Good watch. Whelans is a great spot.

Have seen them a few times now, they're great live. Cant beat small venues either.

Oh ffs my credit card is in pain, tempted too head somewhere in the UK or Europe but financially Dublin will have to do. Saw Leppard 3 times and Crue once on there ' ' '2015 Farwell Tour' (yep that aged well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Yep got my brother a ticket for Iron Maiden in June for his Christmas present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I got Blink 182 tickets. Steep enough for them at €80. I didn't manage to get Arctic Monkey tickets, but someone will be selling closer to the time, so I'll nab them then.

Brilliant, saw Maiden 2 times and it was great but for me I've had my fill of them. No doubt thats a kick ass present

First kind of sleepless night with the kid. She was crying on and off and wanted to be fed etc all through the night. Wife was up all night with her feeding etc. I got bits here and there. At about half six this morning I came down with the child and left her sleep on my chest before putting her into the Moses basket. She never stirred after. I put the heating on and it was so quiet except looking out the window at the rain and wind. I really did get strong Christmas vibes. The only time I would have the heating on that early and be off work this long around this time of year would be Christmas week so it made it really feel Christmassy for me. So peaceful as well.

• Advertisement

That's one of the things I miss about when they are that young. I'm a morning person so use to get up early with them and let OH sleep as she was usually feeding during the night. Was nice and quiet being up around that early, use to watch sport that was on from other side of the world or something I had recorded from the night before. Cup of coffee and I was happy out.

Post edited by TRS30 on

Advertisement