Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Biodiversity strategy 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I see the farmers journal gave this issue a front page this week, wonder will it do any good, at least it might inform some farmers of what the EU want to do.

Haven't a clue about the article, I don't get the journal.

Isn't it great how the evenings are drawing in, and you want something riveting to watch.

Almost 4 hours of Ag Committee & lobby groups on EU Nature Restoration law and........? I haven't watched it yet.

An hour & a quarter in, this is very much worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭alps

Can you look back somewhere...internet very intermittent tonight and missed most...love to be avle to do a fastrack review..

• Advertisement

Link to recording in the tweet I posted above, but no option to speed up vid that I can see if that's what ya mean

Thanks for that...for some reason my phone won't link through twitter, and another link takes me to tomorrow's public affairs discussion😁

I see what you mean, it's doing the same for me here now.

Got it eventually...If you hold your finger on the video, it gives the option to move forward to any point you want..

You can find your favourite or your cringe favourite from there😁

Caught rotten by my own link, I hate Govt sites...

One thing I would recommend, it's a well kept secret I may be slightly partisan in farm politics BUT, watch every bit of it, 2hrs 10 minutes. There are a lot of good submissions and it would be a mistake to only select those of a preferred organisation.

For any casual readers thinking this won't affect them, have I got news for you............. Watch the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

I'll Hopefully get around to watching it sat evening but what's the general take from it? People around here don't seem aware of this at all. Mention it to anyone and they think rubbish. The journal this week might change that though.

Thanks for the link, crazy stuff. I'm actually raging this morning after watching that. NUIG going out to brussels basically saying that if we don't rewet our reclaimed land we loose our single farm payment. The fact that all these organizations only heard about in a couple of months ago. The craic about Bord Na Mona, even if they rewetted every bit of their land it still only accounts for roughly 20%, so the other 80% will have to come from farmers, which is a violation of property rights by all accounts.

I honestly cannot believe that the EU are pushing for this and have signed the Mercurocour deal with countries that are apart of the BRICS nations. Did they not learn their lesson from depending on cheap gas from Russia as the basis for energy for their economy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

HQ any chance of a brief synopsis? I might have to buy a journal this week just to depress myself after the elation of getting the bps earlier in the week.

There is a big bog in the process of re wetting near here. Schaboy bog if anyone wants to look it up. One of the first things they did was cut Sitka spruce off one edge of it, then neighbours trees were flattened in a storm because they no longer had shelter from the trees on the bog. I think a lot of these NGO type ecologists were never outside the office on a wet or windy day.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This will appear mean, but I'm not going to do a summary. Reason being, I genuinely think this is that big a threat to all agriculture sectors on all soils that everyone needs to watch the video for themselves so they can see firsthand what is happening.

How ever bad people think it is, it's worse.

Thanks will get to it later when it’s dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Thanks HQ, listened to it this morning during milking. Truely shocking, every farmer needs to listen to it. There's a mountain of information in the 2 hours we'll worth the listen

On the political side if things, my take is that

1) on these issues all farmer associations need to unite and pull together on these current issues. We're F'ed if we don't.

2) Ryan seems to be trying to bulldoze these laws through before there is a chance for farmer bodies to get informed and object. This is not democracy

3) there needs to be a levelling up of funding between farm bodies and eNGOs. Farm bodies versus eNGOs €5BIll

4) Ryan's modus operandi seems to be to get as many laws changed as possible as quickly as possible and set it up that the eNGos can police them via the courts when the GP are ousted . Let that sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Completely agree.

Agriculture as a whole is in their sights, across all of Western Europe.

We've only 8 weeks to get an objection in, on the plus side all the farming organizations seem to be united on this. To me this looks like a land grab attempt, same as what Dutch farmers are protesting about Thanks HQ for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Don't really listen to Joe rogan much, but good podcast #1784 on food and ag in the US.

Anyone know when the next dail meeting is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

Have just listened to the first hour of the joint committee meeting. Very worrying stuff. Is there any indication in the document as to where exactly the land that would be required to be treated must come from? Or would it be an overall figure that is to be met by Ireland and sort the detail out at a later date? In this case then I can't see anything other than poorer land being rewetted. Not going to have large farmers on good land giving up 20% of their holdings to rewetting. But the fact that what is done to your land can be dictated to you from Brussels in this manner is appalling. And as mentioned, how is this not being discussed more widely?

Anyone see the new LULUCF regulation the EU are just after passing. Basically they want land use land use change and forestry sector to be net zero as in soak uo what it emitting. The funny thing is the member states can sell excess credits on to other countries. I have a written letter as on last week from Charlie McConalougue that goes into detail about forestry and carbon credits. He sates in the letter that the state does not own or have any right to the carbon and that they just report the figures to the EU as part of these protocols it signed up too. If this is the case than how the f$$$ck can the sell our lands credits to other members states.

This is actually total bullshit. It they are selling our lands sequestered CO2 then we will never be able to use it for offsetting against our own farms as it would be double counted. And secondly I hardly think that Microsoft and the big tech emitters will be slapped with the same crap as they have been offsetting planting forestry with greenbelt for years now.

I'm actually sick of this place I really am, has McConalougue just told me pure lies in his letter or does knowone actually have a clue what these arseholes in the EU are doing.

Any chance youve a link to that LULUCF regulation?

Can't seem to do a link to faceache, there's a short video on the INHFA facebook page also about the trip.

Yeah looks like by the time it goes through all the process there will be some concessions in the overall regulation, but as a whole there will be a lot of rewetting forced upon anyone with reclaimed land as this is primarily their main objective.

Basically the way I see it now, If you opted for the Acres scheme in order to get the maximized payments for the low input grassland you basically cannot spray, use much fertilizer and nearly promote wild flower (weeds). If people try to maximize their payments on reclaimed poorish lowlying grounds by the time 5 years comes around that land will be as good as re wetted. Then there will be a new scheme that will offer money to fully rewet the land and in most cases with the poor prices for dry stock and sheep people may have no other option. The ACRES scheme is basically an enrolment into this if you ask me.

If farmers were going to come out good out of this and actually be extremely well rewarded in terms of money, then it may be a good option but this will definitely not be the case. The new proposal on carbon farming from the EU looks like its all wishy washy bullshit with absolutely sweet f'all in terms of financial gain for farmers to pursue this option.

My main gripe with this is the financial aspect, Carbon €/kg will be upward of €500 within 4 years and with the push to net 0 it has the potential to be an extremely valuable commodity down the line. Farmers should be paid on the quantity of CO2 they are storing and capturing and they should be paid real time market price as if Carbon was a commodity. the problem with this is that nobody knows whos owns the right to the CO2, yet multinational companies can use them for offsetting to achieve net 0 and farmers cant.

I am still waiting for my parliamentary question on whether a farm can offset emissions if it was set up as a limited company. I will keep ye know if I get an answer which I suspect I wont. Currently LULUCF sequestered carbon, solar panel, wind farm or bio energy credits cannot be offset against a farm, ELi Lilly in Cork built a huge solar farm down there for the main function of offsetting carbon emissions, if any farmer here done that the Energy sector would get not the agricultural sector, but if they had a limited company why would they not be allowed to do exactly what Eli Lilly done and offset it against themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Note the bottom right hand corner on the 2nd slide about peat soil.

Also note an unelected campaigner who gets airtime.

Seemingly lots of decisions being taken and made into law over farmer's heads.

Any bit of peat found in the soil sampling scheme every farmer will be forced to abandon farming and leave it to bog.

This is the Irish version of the Dutch debacle.

There's no ifs nor buts into seeing if individual farmers can farm that soil aerobically while sequestering carbon. In their eyes the livestock question in what they view as a problem and an emission not a sink will also be taken care of.

The right to farm this land as is currently and perhaps as was done for the past 200 years is going to be slapped down. There'll be riots and jailings over what's being talked about if they're planning on steamrolling current and proposed legislation through.

IIRC, "mapping" is complete or nearly complete.

The absolute bullshit of running with the hares and hunting with the hounds from SF. Best result next election is no green party TD's, but won't rule out going into a coalition with them.

• Advertisement

What's the latest on the re-wetting appeal?

Advertisement