Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

The german politicians were not naive, they knew very well what they were doing, and it's called treason. We need to see Schroeder and Merkel being investigated for treason or this will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Follow the money it's that simple. No appetite atm it seems. Always calls for Italians Greeks and alike to be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure, in as large a country as Ukraine, a lot of it will have been at least physically untouched by the war..you will be able travel over vast distances without seeing any war destruction. So easy to see why articles can appear claiming that its not a real war, which is the angle they are pushing. The truth of course, is far different. Its an ugly destructive war, and caused by one man, and one man only, Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Deputy envoy of Russia to UN denies export of Iranian drone to Russia, threatens to review relationship with UN secretary office, if UN send experts to study Russian drones in Ukraine

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think treason is harsh. I think it was more a misguided thinking. I think Merkel taught that Germany could make Russia dependent on German cash flow. She just did not understand that Putin was just another psychopathic dictator.

Merkel and Schroeder would have a distrust of the US and US policy. They just gave the ballox the benefit of doubt for too long.

Remember from 2017-2020 you had the Donald in the equation as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Merkel was from East Germany. russia already had plenty of money after it recombined. Military spending killed the USSR pretty much keeping up or looking like it did with the west. I mean all those space missions must have come at a hell of a price. Did they not put a tank on the moon or something stupid. The west should never look that far east for allies it's simply different cultures with completely different values. Asian cultures for example strict hierarchy lead from top to bottom everyone know there place. russia always rules with an Iron fist. There is simply no way these cultures can get on other than simple diplomacy. Japan learned a lesson a very hard way but still has a strict system in place. If your half Japanese your not Japanese for example. You will always be see as the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Substation turned off the grid in Belgorod, due to power overload, - according to authorities

Dundalk, Co. Louth

What was that song.. I want to run away. The Ukrainian video.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

The same Donald that told them they were too reliant on Russian energy, and I am pretty sure this war would not have started with him as president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Obama and his administration warned of that years before. Trump didn't have an original or helpful idea by himself.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Because it's hard to turn down cheap and convenient energy, even when the attendant risks are pointed out. As the state of the planet today vividly testifies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

What was the first impeachment of Trump about? An attempted quid pro quo by Trump? Withholding hundreds of millions of congressional budgeted monies for Ukraine arms in exchange for dirt on Biden’s son (intended by Trump to influence American voters in the November 2020 presidential elections)? The US House voted to impeach (Mostly Democrats but also some Republicans), but there were too many Republican US Senate votes along party lines that saved Trump from being thrown out of office.

Similar to a Fox and Friends talking point, “I am pretty sure this war would not have started with him (Trump) as president,” was contradicted when former President Trump praised Putin for being a “genius” on the advent of 24 February 2022 when Russia invaded Ukraine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Indeed.

Check the date. When it was still the Soviet Union.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Why wouldn't anyone, with a shred of common sense, be concerned about pouring billions of western arms into a region that was well known to have some of the highest levels of corruption and organized crime in the world? It's very easy for people to forget these things about Ukraine now, because the focus has shifted almost entirely onto Russia. But Trump was well aware of this at that point in time.

Also, the Russians had no intention of waiting for security guarantees from the west. The historical distrust, meant that they couldn't actually rely on empty words or promises. Trump seemed aware of this too, which is why he saw western weapons pouring into Ukraine as an overt sign to the Russians that Ukraine was effectively becoming a de-facto NATO-armed state.

We can dispute this line of logic all we want, but that's certainly how the Russians viewed it and Trump knew it. Now, you can criticise Trump for almost entirely putting US interests first in this respect, but the reality is that this policy might very well have avoided the scale of conflict we're witnessing today.

And we have guys like Stoltenberg even coming out recently and letting the mask slip with regards to NATO's strategic position on this conflict. What are the Russians supposed to think now? From their perspective, their worst suspicions are being shown to be true. This emboldens them in the belief that they were correct to act preemptively. Western cries of "unprovoked attack" are met with levels of scepticism in Russia (and elsewhere), that are not entirely unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Reports of heavy fighting inside of Kherson itself over the last 48 hour's

It absolutely would have,you can guarantee Ukraine wouldn't have gotten the levels of support they are receiving with that idiot as president

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

So that’s your reason for Putin invading Ukr. If Putin is so upset about The Ukr even thinking about joining NATO that he had to invade it to head the idea off THEN why has he said/has done ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about an ACTUAL application by a neighbour of his ie Finland

what is your reason for Russia invading Georgia. Was Georgia thinking of joining NATO also

And what is your reason for Russia invading Moldova. . Was Moldova having notions about even thinking about joining NATO.

will you ‘get up the Yard ‘ with your conspiracies, deflections, derailing attempts, falsehoods, insinuations, etc, etc, etc and stay there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

It did not matter who was the American president. IMO , Putin would have a much higher chance of doing better in his special Ukr mission with Trump as president because he was more guaranteed that there would be little or no arms, etc, going to the Ukr than under Biden. Putin always had his eyes on The Ukr as he has on Georgia, and Moldova. God only knows what else he has eyes on? When I hear the name Putin two things immediately come to mind:-

(1) he is an out and out OPPORTUNIST and jumps when the time comes

(2) his overall , almost sole, focus is to get back to the USSR position and if it has to be done bit by bit so be it. And anything that helps that vision is constantly in his reader - interfering in the business of other countries to weaken them, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Because Trump wanted to put America first, not some country thousands of miles from there border.

The Democratic party are the biggest danger to world peace and greatest threat to mankind , they are even openly admitting to using Ukraine as a proxy to fight Russia. They will bleed every last Ukranian if they could just to weaken the Russians.

https://twitter.com/historyoarmani2/status/1582461658957746179?t=khEJKPCaP46deH8WHcqVaQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Remind me again who unilaterally, unjustly and illegally invaded Ukraine, just so I can be clear on who the biggest danger to world peace is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

When the thinking is misguided by russian money its treason, it is harsh because consequences are harsh. Schroeder is or was employed by Gazprom so he's not even hiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

*Looks at post count, & hyperbolic pro-MAGA post* Yea...enjoy your stay here.

Keep in mind that Putin's Russia would bleed every Ukrainian if they could, simply because they believe that they have the right to do it. Armed Peace is essential to existence of our way of life, and I will not condemn a democracy wanting to stand up for another. Here's hoping the US remains a democracy and not become the Kleptocracy the other side salivate for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ah, I know that but I'm always curious to see if they understand Irish references. Things you would only understand if you've lived in Ireland most of your life. From the few I've thrown out, the answer is usually no - it passes them by. So I conclude these posters are not familiar with Irish domestic politics and matters of society here. Posting from outside the state I'd think or at most they are 'furriners' living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Russians in Sweden nicking traffic cams to send back to Russia for use in drones

Seriously time for Europe to look at just sending Russians back home. Not worth the risk.

Can you imagine what will happen if it kicks off with China, given our enthusiasm for handing out visas to them? They've already been caught setting up police stations across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

This popped up on my YouTube...

It's the full movie, quite well done. It scared a lot of people.

Well worth a watch if you want to see how things got ramped up quite quickly.

Show's all the fear and installed a lot of anxiety in people back then,how one tactical nuclear weapon leads to all out chaos.

Started off in Germany, and it shows how nuclear weapons are a catastrophic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah that takes me back. I remember watching that on the black and white portable when I was in 5th class in primary school. It was on late on RTE, midweek, I think it was 10pm - midnight. I got a parental dispensation to stay up and watch it by myself because of my obsession with all things war at the time. Our teacher the next day was telling us about it and when he found out I'd been up watching it, he was shocked and warned me not to fall asleep in class. Most memorable bit for me was someone coming out of the shelter and stepping on the dustified remains of something. That teacher is dead now, natural causes, not radiation sickness after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Isn't that very nifty!?

Really helps to streamline the whole "thanks whoring" process. Which, as we all know, is the hallmark of any aspiring critical thinker!

I'm with @EOQRTL on this one, the thanks feature and places like twitter are really designed for a particular type of person. Limited word count appeals to people, with a narrow scope and a short attention span. Like/dislike features, help with instant gratification group-think bias & conformity etc.

You'd be much better off getting a plugin that disables such features. But then people would miss out on their social media dopamine hit. lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement