Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

CB Ireland reckons it would only cause a "modest" rise, well why would the implement it at all if it was going to cause prices to rise I thought their whole job was to tackle inflation. Us idiots could even see it was going to cause prices to rise substantially while still not benefitting anyone. That article saying phones lines hopping disgusts me, what are these clowns at that are supposed to be economists and understand the consequences of their actions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

An increase in interest with the EAs points to demand still being strong, and that people will still try to buy so long as they have the ability to buy.

This must be very confusing news for those among us who were convinced this was not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Presumably to help those who can afford the mortgage repayments to buy houses. As Karl Deiter said this morning, if someone can afford to pay 2k per month in rent, what is the issue with them being able to buy a property with 1300pm repayments? To trap them in the rental sector when it obvious that they can afford a mortgage of x4 times their salary is equally unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Your not understanding the fundamentals of a Central Bankers job, his job is to control inflation and ensure price stability, not increase the price of houses.

What they done has not made one bit of difference in terms of buying as the prices will just increase by the amount they gave back across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I guess paying 2K a month on rent during good times is one thing, while paying 2K rent for their life time, which may include multiple boom and bust cycle is another thing. Imagine paying a mortgage of 2K for 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Tell that to the brits that will be coming off their fixed rates and the impact that will have on their economy. The reduced spending will lead to job losses sparking a recessionary spiral as there is little room for manoeuvre with inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Dave weather its by design or the law of unintended consequences the governments since the last bust have. - All of which have had either FF or FG in it.

1:) Stopped building social housing

2:) Decided that it was better to have REITS in making profit hand over fist on rents than domestic landlords and have skewed it financially and logistically so with how landlords are treated and offered deals to REITS of paying them rent to the tune of millions a year instead of using this money to simply start building social housing again.

3:) They have introduced the help to buy grant, first home scheme and now they have gone and put pressure on the Central Bank to increase lending limits. The only reason why this is happening is wage in the private sector is not keeping up with inflation and they think its better to allow others get into more debt. The 3.5 times a salary was possible the best thing this government ever did and was done to stop people being overly burdened with debt and yet they have decided its better to give the developers more in their pockets and keep FTBs in debt for longer. It also throws a huge gasoline can on inflation its beggars belief that they did this.

4:) No accountability for those building/construction industry we get the "aw we cant do anything about it sh1tology" except get others who are completely innocent of any of the above to pay" - Mica, Pyrite, health and safety regulations its an endless list of lack of regulation for the industry.

5:) Allowed a emigration policy that has us at breaking point with regards to housing and other services. I am not a racist person I have good friends from Brazil (play 5 a side with half a dozen of them) work with Polish guys, but something has to give and currently its our young people trying to get on in the world they have seen cost and access to rentals and buying completely evaporate and this will show in the next 1-3 years as our youth go else where there is zero incentive for them to stay here.

Now how many politicians are landlords and are constantly lobbied by the construction sector? That is the question that needs to be answered. I think if someone is voted into power in this country they should have to sell any secondary properties that they own in order to keep them on the straight and narrow as there is a conflict of interest between their own pocket and the rest of us and before I get the aw that is too much. Its not they get paid very well and if they only get the one go at government they also garner a pension us mere mortals cant afford. Not bad for 4/5 years work and then if they finish they can go out and get back into the property game.

Demand for a necessity is resolved by delivering multiple options at various price points, not by loading people with debt and multiple costly programs until they can afford it

The latter was tried in the noughties and unfortunately it didn't end well and led to the extremely difficult position we now find ourselves in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you can afford it whats the issue, its better than paying rent for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Good article here about how totally unaffordable Dublin is now. The fella interviewed can rent a 2 bed apartment in Derry for £500 a month, would you get a 2 bed apartment in Dublin for under e2000 nowadays?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dubliner-who-had-five-sale-agreed-deals-fall-through-says-buying-a-home-in-derry-is-100pc-more-doable-42080781.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's the average salary in Derry? Bit of a pointless comparison, we know Dublin is expensive, but there's a reason nobody wants to live in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

Ive lived in Dublin and Derry. Whats the reason nobody wants to live in Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

What house are they going to buy that will give them a mortgage of 1300? Is there a house sitting out there for sale that is sitting unsold for months and months?

It's a 0 sum game.

Imagine a house goes up for sale next year. The new rules initially now give your 2k per month renter the ability to buy. Great for them. However, the problem is that if the house goes for sale today, there is still loads of buyers who can afford to buy at current levels.

So next year, when the rules change and that house goes for sale, you're now just ensuring that there's MORE buyers for the same house, which pushes prices up.

It's like an auction on ebay when something popular goes on auction. The more people that can bid, the higher the price will go.

Whereas, if the number of bidders was limited, say using a ticketing system, then the price wouldn't go as high. We essentially have a ticketing system limiting the number of bidders with our current 3.5 rule.

Makhloufs position should really be untenable but somehow he'll stay in the job.

On the same day he loosened lending limits which he said will lead to higher house prices, he said interest rates need to go higher to tackle high inflation that is damaging the economy.

No one can deny that some decisions made by successive Governments have been calamitous, in my opinion the RPZ legislation was particularly poorly thought out, and this eviction ban has the potential to be a death knell for small Landlordism in Ireland. But both pieces of legislation were very obviously introduced due to public pressure on the Government, and neither can be construed as Landlord friendly by any intelligent person. So saying TDs did this for their own benefit is absurd.

Again, why do people persist in thinking that a housing crisis can be quickly and easily sorted? And why do people persistently think that the answer is the State building more housing, as if this was quick and easy to do? It beggars belief that after all this time people take such a simplistic view.

The only way houses can be built on the scale necessary and within the necessary timeframe is by private developers, and they are not building. Knowing what we now know about the extraordinarily incompetent way the State has handled the building of the children’s hospital and schools, why on earth do you think they would be any better at large scale housing development?

Some here think it must be corruption, they are doing it for personal gain. That would be to ignore the fact that none of the rental legislation has been voluntary, it was done only after extraordinary public pressure was applied for rent caps and evictions. All this houses bought have benefitted the people who live in them, they are certainly happy with Government policy, without it they wouldn’t have a home.

SF will help, they will sort it out, won’t they? No, they have done nothing to improve housing in the North and they will face the same inertia when/if they are elected to help people buy homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Everyone knows that it cannot be easily sorted, but they are wasting money on paying rent, on grants for first time buyers, on HAP and other expenses to try and house people if this support was taken away the market would see price drops across the board and the money saved could be used to start building social housing even these modular houses that are continuously talked about on a large scale. I think the plan has to change the idea that those not working can pick and choose where they live and the type of accommodation they want to live in is no longer feasible and has a lot of unfairness about it. It would be unpopular as it would be seen as taking away from the poorest yet its these very supports that have continuously pushed up prices for everyone else. We have tried the route of expecting private builders now for a decade to supply a suitable amount of housing for our population and it has not worked in fact it has been nothing short of a clusterphuck its time to shift away as they are all about their pocket and have no regard for the greater good within the country. There is no doubt in my mind that this step in particular shines a light on corruption as the relaxing of these rules does nothing but pump more money into developers pockets and shifts more debt onto First time buyers. As I said it is glaring that they didn't relax the rules for 2nd hand homes as this money would not see its way in to the grubby paws of the construction industry that to me is the smoking gun that shows who is running the show here and its not the people we elected.

A comment from one of the newspapers, so even if you are eligible for 4X your salary, banks still look at your ability to repay. So with higher interest rates, a couple may still not get the whole 4X

“lenders themselves are responsible for affordability assessments” under their own policies, which he said like the measures announced today, also need to evolve. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I think you have it wrong, unless I'm mistaken, but the 4x rule is across the board for FTBs, it's not limited to new builds. They can buy second hand homes, so we'll be seeing a strong resurgence of bidding wars.

Jaysus the amount of bidding wars I've seen go up and up, it was clear the only thing constraining folk was the limits to lending.

If affordability is what matters, then why have lending limits at all?

What is the formula for ability to pay anyways? The banks can just change their formula.

• Advertisement

I would assume it is in the best interest of the lender perhaps. I don't think the 3.5X or 4X salary limit from the CB guarantees a bank to simply sign you a cheque for the amount.

Why? 2008 is why, when people were able to get 100% mortgages to buy investment properties without consideration of their ability to pay.

You asked earlier about 1300/2000, I’ll have to admit I plagiarised Karl Dieter, he used precisely that example in an interview about the new lending rules. He knows far more about it than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You have lending limits because this is longterm debt. You have affordability limits so you can access if the person can afford the house.

One of the biggest reasons for the last crash was excess borrowing.....not necessarily mortgage lending.

Back then you got pre-approval in you door every few weeks telling you that you were approved to borrow 20,30 or 60k.

I saw people buy a house fully furnish it and park an 06/07/08 new car outside the door and go on a foreign holiday as well.

You had Eddie Hobbs advising people to have large wedding because of the cash presents they would get.

Start mortgage's were handing out 6X income and especially to people with variable income.

If you were in the building trades you upgraded you van every two years. You could not be seen arriving on site with a tub of sh!t and definitely should not be pricing jobs in it. As well a lot of single lads that were working for subbies had a van for to and from work and a driving around car for the weekend. And Start mortgage's gave them 6X income.

People changed there car at a whim, lads used to change twice a year. Ancillary borrowing was as much of a problem for the crash as lending limits.

If you were in your 40/50's you had to have a second house rented ( rental returns went as low as 2%,). Or else you were buying an apartment in Spain or the canaries.

The last great outpost after Spain, Lanzarote etc got too expensive for us was Cape Verde. You had to get in on the action. Small group of Islands 1-200 miles south of Lanzarote. This was going to be the new Lanzarote you had to get in on the action. There was going to be tens of thousands of apartments build there longterm and you could get in at the beginning. O ly thing there was no regular flight to it and still are not.

That is why you do affordability to find the stupid cun! with a gambling habbit where there is 3-400/ month going out. The couple with 10-15k in credit card debt, or two car loans for 30+ k between them costing 600/ month for five years

Slava Ukrainii

If the major cause of the crash was bad lending, how come arrears did not sky rocket until after the crash.

The major cause is unemployment, increased taxation and lower wages that come from years of bad policy.

The lessons of poor policy have not been learnt, therefore lending limits can only cushion rather than avoid a crash. Yesterday concrete blocks were put under that cushion. Let's hope there pyrite infected

Hence I don't buy the theory that if you can pay 2K rent today.. you can continue to pay that during a downturn/recession on a mortgage.

But you think if you could afford a house last week/last month/last year, and got a mortgage, you will be able to afford to pay during a downturn/recession? That risk always exists as few people are guaranteed to be able to afford repayments over the lifetime of a mortgage, life has a habit of throwing up the unexpected. But if your mortgage is below the cost of your rent, and you are making capital repayments with a fair chance of your property increasing in value over the term of a mortgage, ownership is preferable, and there should be no reason why you shouldn’t be able to borrow a little more if it is below the cost of the rent you can afford to pay.

Bad lending practice was not the only cause of the 2008 crash, but it certainly made matters far worse.

But again, it depends on what percentage of your salary is going to rent. Say if a couple is on 80K a year, after tax their monthly income is about €5,000. At the moment they have no choice but to pay 2K a month in rent (which is about half their salary) as they no other option, do you think the bank should still lend then money on the hopes they continue to pay 40% of their salary on a mortgage ?

But they wont in most cases.

4*80k = 320,000 max mortgage (assuming no child care costs etc), at 3% over 30 years that is 1,350 a month or 31% of their net salary.

Fair enough I suppose.. but there are multiple assumptions there

• Would you be able to get anything decent for 320K in the same area you are renting in, probably not.
    • Would the higher leading rate just not cause a crazy bidding war.. So a couple on 100K would always win
    • 3% interest rate now sounds fine, but who knows how high it can be. People expect ECB rates to be hoovering around 2.5%~3% by mid next year.

Either way we shall wait and see how it plays out, time will tell.

• Advertisement

As to the first point who knows, often the issue with renting is that you rent a house that you can afford to buy and it makes it hard to move, but plenty of anecdotal stories on this thread of people who reckon mortgage payments would be substantially lower than rents given the current rental market.

On the second point, it comes down to what people value a property at, someone with more income can always spend more than you but they may have a limit that they value a property at. Hard to be definitive on that.

Lastly you can fix for 5-10 years at lowish rates at the moment, i dont think anyone is taking a variable mortgage right now.

Advertisement