Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ad on back of The Irish Times today for live cinema screenings of La Boheme opera on 20 October. It lists "Stella Bray" as one of the cinemas showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in 8 days? No chance of that surely - they probably agreed a deal with the Stella group months ago and assumed Bray would be open by now.

EDIT - just checked the ROH website and it's not listed as one of the participating cinemas there (nor is the Rathmines Stella).

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The bus stop opposite the Royal was advertising WoWBurger during the summer, probably similar in terms of agreed advertisments, but obviously the town centre never opened on time. The add never referenced the town centre but it was clearly an advert for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Hearing rumours that box burger and platform pizza are to close in the near future. (someone that works there).

There is a planning permission sign outside but is not very specific on what the plans for the 'site' are

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd be very surprised at this for a couple of reasons (although stranger things have happened...).

1. They are literally printing money, I never hear of both places never being rammed.
    2. The ripped apart The Ocean (sub-letted it to Catalyst during the pandemic) and then refurbed it into Goldies in the last 3 months.

Why go to all that effort of launching a pub to only switch so soon after. I know Goldies isn't part of the Box/Platform but it is all owned by the Duggans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously? One of the most stupid rumours ever. Based on a planning permission notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I do think it's odd that box burger, platform and Joe's chicken have stopped doing deliveries

Why? They're literally rammed with the restaurant, deliveries only existed when they couldn't seat people inside. Only makes sense that went back to dine in only.

They did delivery well before the pandemic. Not that this proves anything, just clarifying.

• Advertisement

Ah my memory a little hazy then, I though it only came in with the pandemic. Guess they've just decided that they can't handle to volume with compromising the restaurant/take-away or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Aren't the Two Chaps in behind those places? They announced they're shutting down at the start of November, though they said it was because of rising costs.

I didn't base it on the planning notice. I said that I had heard it from someone working there

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont. They had to keep changing and adapting their business model during covid. They had their own vans. Costs of that must have been astronomical.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes. They are closing just as they were nominated for an award in Bray

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The "Stella group" is the Press Up group. They're the same people who developed Bray Town Centre under the name Oakmount.

It apears the only tenants they have got for the Bray Town Centre are themselves. Ie.Elephant and Castle and the Stella Cinema which are both run by the Press UP.

I believe the project was started with the expectation that Dunnes would be the Anchor but after they had started Dunnes pulled out and said they would keep their existing Bray outlets instead. They have not secured another Anchor.

Theres a few other small tenants signed up I believe. There is still uncomfirmed rumours re Penneys and TK Maxx moving in. They have never been ruled out.

Terry Pratchet

Whatever about the rumours, something is clearly wrong.

Why aren't there own Press Up Group chain open?

Why isn't the car park open?

Why can't they get anchors? These are needed in order to be a success and it can't take that long to draw up and sign off legal contracts like John Brady said a couple of months ago.

Council also being kept in the dark by Press Up which makes me think that there's another issue going on.

Now looking increasingly unlikely that anything will be open by Christmas.

An unconfirmed rumour is just a rumour and they are never ruled in or out.

I think if they were moving in then we would have known a long time ago as these large stores take months of planning and budgeting with decisions like new store openings. Doesn't happen overnight.

Also why haven't the smaller tenants been announced?

One of the smaller tenants recently came on to Bray Open Forum to state it was the council currently holding them up.

He said "nothing will open till all the fire safety certs are cleared by Wicklow county council, these will probably take another 6 months according to how slow they are and then it will be something else after that. I’m waiting over 2.5 years since I signed my lease"

Clearly quite frustrated as is everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

So, it deffo wont be open for Christmas?

• Advertisement

Joes Chicken closed recently

Box Burger confirmed today it is closing on 6th November

Two Chaps deli closing on 6th November

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's such a shame. Box Burger is one of the best burgers I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

And you were correct. Sadly. 😪

Why? Costs? Replacing it with something else?

Costs according to what they say. High energy kitchen.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

A real shame. A family favourite for us. Already had a booking for a post marathon treat on Sunday.

Should we be expecting an expansion of Platform Pizza?

I wonder if the (imminent?) arrival of Wowburger is a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Shame that Box Burger is going. Was a good alternative for good junk food. Very suprised also as it was always busy.

Well it appears I was wrong and owe you an apology.

Surprised though as I thought it was doing well, I wonder what their plans are.

Post edited by murpho999 on

Highly unlikely unless they open up some restaurants and the car park but the chances of proper shops being open by Christmas I think are practically zero at this stage.

No worries

I think it is a real shame that it is closing.

And as I said, I heard that Platform will follow. I was there last Wednesday with the family and it seemed busy. It would be a real shame to lose both. I would assume that the Duggans would have plans for the sites....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

This is a really shame, it has been a favourite since it first opened. If platform and Joe's Chicken go it will be very empty around that part of the seafront.

Advertisement