Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Donald In pointed out the inconsistencies in what you posted. Aside from that the US is a single economy and significant variation in interest rates have happened over the years. On the US there tends not to be significant money on deposit it's all invested.

In tbe EU you have more variable economies. On one hand you have the older wealthy economies with a large cohort of citizens with significant savings.

Then you have the eastern newer members with lower wealth but with greater flexibility. Ireland is probably a mix of both with the savings but also with the flexibility of the newer economies. Ali with that it has the English language, an English common law system admittedly with all it's flaws but something American investment understand. How the Brits never managed to utilize this within the EU I do not know.

However I have digressed. The EU as a whole cannot live with rates of 3+ percentage points. Not only that as rates rise deposits will flow into longterm deposit rates instead of investment. This will put a ceiling on mortgage rates.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no inconsistency. I posted two things:

First, that if a person took out a loan that was 4X their salary, then if interest rates went to 5%, interest would accrue at a rate equal to 20% of their gross take home (at least initially). That is simple mathematics.

Second. I posted that it is not that long you could get a 30Y fixed rate mortgage in the US for almost as low as 2.5%. Today it is 7%. You yourself included a link which confirms that.

I didn't post anything about Cairns or about the stock price of Meta or the price of Bitcoin. I didn't try to say that people in Ireland can only get mortgages in the US or anything else you are imagining. I posted the two facts above. If you want to run off and pretend that I said something else just so you can have a rant with some waffle that is irrelevant to my post, then there isn't a whole lot I can do about that. There is no need for the attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Artificially inflating the housing market? Can't believe a coalition of FF and FG would even consider something like that.

Joking aside, offering mortgages of 4 times income might make people feel good momentarily until they realise that everyone else has the same thing going for them as well.

The bigger issue is the increased monthly repayments not to mention the interest rate hikes on top of the cost of living crisis.

Maybe the idea is to make home ownership every bit as expensive as renting and drive people away from bothering with a mortgage which would be ok if we didn't have the worst rental sector in the developed world.

The housing crisis deepens, but at least our landlord class rulers will keep on making money off of our misery, that is their primary purpose after all.

Glazers Out!

Donald you are getting uptight. Take a chill pill.

You are joining the Chicken Licken brigade. You have a tendancy to now quote one piece of data and only want that piece of data dealt with. That is binary thinking. It's lacks overview.

There is posters on here making comparisons with what is happening in the US and UK now. In the UK we have a party in government who could be described as Sinn Fein( ourselves alone) but from a different political ideology.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjFT4ByJl9o/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Truss has managed in a few weeks ( even though distracted by the death of the Queen and her funeral) to collapse the UK . Because of this the UK bond and pension market is in turmoil

You posted about the US mortgage Interest rate. Will this happen right accross the EU. Will it happen Ireland. Will what is happening in the UK ( which is mostly the Brexit dividend they did not expect to becoming home to roost).

Quite simply there is no indication that what you are indicating will happen. As I said in the USA most money is held in investments not on deposits and definitely not on short term deposits. The FED interest rate hike is exposing this.

While the EU languished in negative interest rates the US has never gone there. For the last eleven years the EU has been dropping interest rates we have spend longer in negative interest rates than it takes the Tory party to elect four prime ministers. Pre COVID the US rate was rising and was at 2.5% and then dropped to a quarter of a percent. It has literally jumped from there to it's pre COVID figure and has continued climbing.

Remember the US is not suffering as much from fuel inflation as the EU. They have ingenious supply. Therefore the US is trying to suppress general inflation. The EU is trying to suppress energy induced inflation.

You do not want to take context into account. Everything is 1+1=2 at present with you. Binary Donald binary, waffle in other words.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If your target property increases in price, it is likely that yours will too - although you might have a bigger gap to jump.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

In another post "FF is the party of homeownership" - Housing for all is a shambles so they're clinging to the CBI rules as a win.

Yes I was, as I stated in my comment the only time you should be worried about negative equity is if you don't plan on staying in house you buy long-term. Unfortunately the house we might buy in the next 12 months will not be our forever home as we wont be able to afford our forever home at that stage. Hence why we wouldn't want negative equity when we might want to sell 5 or 10 years down the line. As I said, if people see themselves in the homes they are buying now for the long-term, then they should buy, if not I don't see why anyone would buy a house with the plan on moving again in a few years. House prices are peaking or will do in the very near future.

You are literally the only person on here that thinks the CB made this decision entirely on their own....... and doing your best to rile people up, give it a rest will you....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Anyone who rushes to buy on the back of this "news" is going to get so badly burned. Government should be ashamed.

Rates are going up, this is all that matters. Property prices are going down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The central bank are independent of the government. They government have tried to change the strict rules on plenty of occasions and have been rebuffed by the CB...

This decision was taken by the CB based on the current economic climate... Not political will. Whether the political parties benefit from the changes or not is a separate matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

In theory yes but in practice I don't think so I think that's a very grey area indeed. Central bankers around the world do not make independent decisions, look at the fed for example, when Donald Trump put immense political pressure on them back in 2019 to stop lifting rates coupled with a repo market blow out and they reversed course and starting lowering again.

Central banks main objective is price stability and controlling inflation, That New Zealand arsehole said yesterday that this would cause a "modest" increase in house prices. Well I thought their whole job was price stability and lowering inflation not throwing petrol on it. This shows that if the acted independently and actually done their job then this would have been the last thing they would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Property prices are stabilising ,in my book they aint going any major direction for the next year here in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

And you think that matters, all that matters is how it impacts Germany and France if it is good for those 2 economies everyone else will have to suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

That’s the issue it’s all relative, making money on our own but ultimately paying more for the new house too.

Anyway will see how things look in the new year and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Sono

Based on? I want this to be true but all the experts I’m hearing discussing these new rules are saying it will increase the cost of houses however small it may be .

first time buyers have more funds so you’d expect prices to increase a bit

I can see them going up in the new year there is a lot of pent up demand out there its a shame as prices were stalling and I could only see them going down with all the issues we are seeing, yet the powers that be just keep the gravy pouring into developers pockets with decisions like this... The timing of this could not be worse (unless you work in construction), if they had done it after our lack of supply issue was dealt with then it may have had merit, but all this is doing is filling the construction/property developers pockets with more cash. Even the optics of the new limits only apply to new houses. WHY? Why not have it for second hand houses for sale as well is it because that money wont go into the construction/developers pockets? Our government should hang their heads in shame I feel sorry for anyone looking to buy currently as the market is showing every sign that prices should be dropping but time and again the market is interfered with and done so to make the developers more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,369 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is mostly relative - but your gap may have grown.

If your current property is 300k and your target property is 500k. Gap = 200k.

House prices rise 10%.

Current property now 330k, target property is 550k. Gap = 220k.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

"Rents are higher than a mortgage repayment! That should never be the case"

Irish solution? Make mortgage repayments more expensive so they're more expensive than rents.

I do not think I am the only one.

I am not trying to rile people but there is a lot of flapping about by certain posters

I have no interest in prices going up or down. I do not really care. However I am a realist. Contrary to opinion I could not see house prices fall and if they fell substantially builders would stop building.

The only solution to house prices is supply. Whether that is in the form of new builds or refurbishment of older semi derelict properties

Many on here think that site prices only are the cause of Dublin house prices. It's not labour is a huge issue. 50-70% of that labour travels in and out of Dublin every day. It's similar in other cities. However in Dublin they travel longer and further. Some even stay up there for the week. I expect that the average construction worker in Dublin is costing 500+/week more than other cities in Ireland. They in turn are 2-500/week more expensive than smaller urban area's. Not all this is in physical labour costs. Traveling and time traveling is a huge costs. In a tradesman van ( many now use larger vans because of the amount of supplies they carry) it's costing 200/ week in diesel along to do a 100 km return journey and many are traveling more than that. Add to that the cost of 3-4 hours traveling time per day.

Then you have the physical cists of doing working Dublin. Every nail, bag of cement, lenghts of pipe meter of concrete will be 10-15% more expensive.

There has already been economist's on this morning on the radio acknowledging that construction was slowing down prior to the CB announcement.

There is people flapping about LA buying houses and REITs building apartments. The reality is in the case of apartments there is no other finance method available it seems.

I think there is a cohort of movers on here with substantial savings who are look for a price collapse so they can move easier or can build easier. They care little about the effect it will have longterm.

I have two children in there twenty after getting planning premission. Neither of the houses are mansions they both are sub 2k sqfeet. Do I wish building prices were cheaper. Ya I do but wishing and acknowledging reality are two different things.

There is people renting 1&2 bed apartments that need to get on with life. A mortgage would be cheaper than renting in a lot of cases. If it helps them well and good. Most government policy is to give these people who want to buy an edge over movers and to encourage builders to build houses for them.

HTB, shared equity, 4 times salary gives them an edge over movers. It probably limits the building of larger homers like my children intend. But life is about reality not about what I think is good only for me.

As David McWilliams often quotes

'' we should not let the perfect get in the way of the good''

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Sure if have more people living in a car as has been happening watch those prices shoot up. The foreseeable future is going to be horrendous for our youth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The CBI themselves have admitted it will result in "modest" increases which they haven't actually defined in public announcements. Likely buried somewhere in a paper.

Sad indictment of the way things are that I'm hoping for an economic crash, even if it means I lose a job. What good is a job if you have to pay crazy money for **** properties? Let everything crash and let everyone participating in this nonsense feel pain too.

The only solution to house prices is supply. Whether that is in the form of new builds or refurbishment of older semi derelict properties

Properties right now already are too expensive. Who can afford 500k for a 3 bed semi D in **** Leixlip?

Now we're being told it's not viable for builders right now so the only solution to get them to build is to increase the prices even more. So more supply just means higher prices!

While I understand your frustration a crash is not something I would like to see. the last one devastated the country and we were put on the hook for other peoples expenses and I can see that happening again. Our government are making decisions and even do they know it will mean hardship for other people they don't care. I mean FTBs in trouble lets give grants and straight away property prices go up by the same amount so the developers take all the profit and those buying are in more debt. The latest one is hard to fathom when we are looking at the inflation rates and this just chucks a sh1t load of petrol on the bomb fire that is our younger generations futures where I think the vast majority will not be sticking around in this country. They have even said yeah it will push up prices but so what. I mean this in conjunction with the brick levy is definitely a signal to our younger population that your not welcome in this country and we don't care if we cannot house you.

You know that the people who benefit from recession are the wealthy and the less well off struggle... When the recession ends, the wealthy continue to benefit, but those lower earners struggle to catch up as they are on the back foot... Which is exactly the position we're in now...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

This time it is different as there won't be money to bail out the wealthy and the wealthy are those who own properties. Considering the younger generations (under 40s) are in the vast majority of cases renters, it is highly unlikely we'd see whoever was in power going against their electorate (these non-homeowners) and throwing money at a crashed property market once again.

The wealthy have savings and resources... This economic crash is different from the last one... The wealthy (for the most part) won't need to be bailed out... They own or run the businesses you need to survive... Don't get bogged down with hate... They will be okay in a recession, you probably won't... And it's very unlikely you will benefit in any way...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

funny how “this time it’s different” is fine when you are saying it!

• Advertisement

Ya no difference

Last time we had

70k excess houses by developers unsold

Massive amount of capital invested in property abroad

Massive amount of investment properties owned by taxi drives, trades people, auctioneers and other investors.

Average return on rental property was 2%

Huge amount of personal debt on credit cards, car loans, home improvements,

Banks were financing ordinary Joe Soaps to develop multi unit sites such as farmers or other site owners.

Banks were funding complete projects by developers and builders where no units were going to be sold until whole site was finished

You getting a letters through the door every 2-3 weeks with approval to borrow up to 60k

You could get mortgages to 6X income and 110%funding of house price

Yes all these indicators are present again. Every single one of them.......well maybe a few are missing..... Like f@@king all of them

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement