Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yeah, some members of the defence forces here have sung “up the ra”. Seeing that the defence forces is made up from people from all walks of life, it is not surprising if some members sing a particular song.

However, when a country is illegally invaded and it’s population (including children) are raped, murdered, and kidnapped, it does tend to generate more nationalism within the country they is suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,829 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To you questions

''Did our armed forces sing up the RA?''

I have seen soldiers out of uniform sing a lot of hairy songs. I am sure they sing plent of sh!the in uniform that is not recorded.

''Did the IRA exterminate people just for there ethnicity?''

Kingsmill and a few more occasions as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Since it was raised as an issue.

Whenever I come across a post regurgitating some tired old Kremlin talking point and there are 2 or 3 likes assigned to it, I'll often hover my cursor over the Thanks button, out of sheer curiosity, to see who thanked that nonsense. It's usually the same posters - someone who's prominent in this thread and a few people who've already been thread-banned for trolling but are still clearly reading the thread (or are multi-accounting).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well I've revised my opinions totally now...The Zombie/Great Old One poster rising up from the depths a few days ago to post whataboutisms has shown me V.V. Putin and co were right about the Ukrainians after all and he just had to go to war to save us all from the Nazi terror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How many Poles and Jews did Stalin's regime murder. Yet the Russians are lauding him now....stop chucking stones in your glasshouse. Another added to the ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You can say that again!

If weapons are pouring into a country as corrupt as Ukraine it’s only a matter of time before they end up on the black market and eventually into the hands of organized crime in Western European cities.

Interesting what a terrorist could do to a civilian airliner with a nice little manpad, I wonder what the going price is for one of those these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Ukraine has a massive problem with Nazi's of that there is zero doubt but it doesn't give Putin the right to invade their country and kill their people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

And Ukraine has had a far bigger problem with murdering Russians long before Nazis were ever invented.

They posted two tweets from the same twitter account on this page alone. I had a quick scan of that twitter account. It's basically that flavour of Russian propaganda where it doesn't actually talk about Russia itself - just wall to wall condemnation of Ukraine and the West. Basically similar to the "International News" section of state media in Russia/China/Iran. it's the kind of English language content that is squarely targeted at Western tankies and leftists.

So that poster, who was trying to argue, only yesterday, that since Russia Today is no longer being aired that people in the West aren't exposed to Russian propaganda is main-lining high-strength doses of the stuff themselves via social media. I am shocked - shocked I tells you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭paul71

Anway, it does appear there is now continuous fighting inside Kerson city over the last 24 to 48 hours. No idea if the Ukrainian army is there or if the population has risen against fleeing Russians. Perhaps a reflection of the last days of Nazis in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Based on my reading of things over the years, it's not just 30 lads having a meaningless sing song.

It's a minority, but a large minority and possibly quite a powerful minority too. (depending on just how much sway they hold over the Ukrainian leadership)

Lets not forget, that Hitler and the actual Nazis were also a fringe movement that managed to gain control of one of the most powerful industrialized nations in the world at the time.

These 'bandera' types do not enjoy universal popularity in Ukraine from what I can ascertain. But this doesn't mean that they don't necessarily have significant power and influence that outweighs their relative size. But none of us here are privy to government intel gathering, so it's really impossible to get the full picture with these things.

The Soviets lost possibly as much as 32 million people because of the Nazis in ww2. So it's very unlikely that they would dismiss these types of movements gaining any kind of traction in a neighbouring country. No matter how insignificant we in the west might see them, you can bet the Russians will not be so dismissive of their potential threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Christ

Putin has been in power 20 years, is an autocrat, has eliminated domestic opposition and is the decision-maker in Russia. He has wanted to reclaim Ukraine as Soviet Russian territory for years, and he has been nothing else but that, none of which is any secret. His "man" in Ukraine, Yanukovych, was bleeding the country dry with his private zoo's and fleets of cars and cesspit of corruption, when Ukrainians had enough and hundreds of thousands marched to protest, Yanukovych had his forces murder protesters, when that didn't work, he fled back to the Motherland, and all his special police got Russian passports. Putin then used the unrest to annex Crimea, and hold one of his "special" referendums there in less than 3 weeks, suddenly it was Russian territory. Then he manufactured a war in the East of the country, used local (drunken) separatists as a cover to flood in FSB, Russian troops and military hardware in a proxy invasion of the country.

When that wasn't reaching the desired outcome, he full-on Hitler-style invaded the country, butchering Ukrainians, trying to erase their identity, raw imperialism.

Sparking condemnation and horror from all sides of the political spectrum.

And here you are shrieking about "the Dems" like some batshiat crazy Qanon supporter.

I'd say the Ukrainians run a fairly tight ship in that regard, can't see that scenario playing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes. We should let Putin take Ukraine cause of possible risks. What nonsense.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

EU countries agree on new sanctions against Iran for supplying drones to Russia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭zv2

Nazism in Ukraine was a response to Russian aggression, even as far back as WW2.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

The combination of the Ukrainian media blackout and the Russian clampdown on their own bloggers really has created a dense fog of war. There hasn't been anything like it during this war. Usually Twitter will have content but the only things I have seen are some videos of Russians taking ferries across the Dnipro to flee Kherson city. Absolutely nothing from the Ukrainian side.

Good to hear but what effect will they have in reality? The clique on here keep telling us sanctions will have an effect on Russia any day now, hell they said the Russian economy would collapse within weeks back in March but here we are. We all know Russian oil and gas is coming in through the back door funding the botox dwarfs killing machine but we continue to allow it.

Imo a lot of this stuff is done for PR purposes and we know these lads are going to pivot and continue to operate as they see fit.

Ukrainians are being slaughtered, a nuclear armed dictator is invading a European country, but this is what you are "concerned" about...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next big assault was against somewhere that isn't Kherson.

i.e. use Kherson in the 'hey, look over there!' deception manner they did in September when the main assault was actually hundreds of kilometers away in Kharkiv...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Addressing Putin’s Nuclear Threat: Thinking Like the Cold War KGB Officer That He Was (justsecurity.org)

Great read on what the west must do to deter Nuclear Putin. Also tries to read into his mindset. Written by an ex-intelligence CIa officer of 34 years.

This really isn't the thread for this so this is the last I'll say on the matter. Previously I thought you were on about Republican Primaries. I didn't realise you meant the general election.

The reason why an "Independent Conservative" shouldn't run in the general election is simple - They'd likely take more votes from Joe Biden then they would from Donald Trump. Joe Biden made it through the democratic primaries in 2020 mostly because he was seen as the candidate who would attract independents and "never-Trumper" Republicans. Not many Democrats were super excited about Joe Biden but their fear of Trump winning another term exceeded their willingness to take a risk on one of the other candidates.

This paid off when Biden won the 2020 election. What was very telling though was that the Democrats didn't fare as well down ballot. They didn't do as well in Senate, House or State elections. The reason for that is that a lot of moderate Republicans and independents voted for Biden at the top of the ticket and then voted Republican in all of the other races.

Howard Schultz, the Starbucks billionaire founder, made some noises about running third party in the 2020 election. He received massive backlash from people fearing that it would only help Trump. In the end he pulled out, partly because the Democrats has nominated a more "centrist" candidate in Joe Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

Shouldn't you be excusing the hi-jacking of Irish airliners?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭lizzyjane

Nice bit of whataboutery there. You see 2 can play that game.

Ignore away, I wont throw the toys out of the pram when somebody posts something I don't agree with. We are all entitled to our opinion. Have a nice day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Yeah threads is quite good too.

That terminator scene in terminator two is quite horrific as well.

I grew up in Shannon during the 70's until around 1994 , and there was always rumors and us kids talking about Shannon Airport being a target if war broke out between America and Russia.

We used to think there was Russian spy's driving around checking it out. Interesting time's, we were always telling stories, making up intrigue and talking about what would happen if the Russians invaded us.

There was one guy in particular he was very creative with his fantasy. He'd be telling us his dad seen B-52's refueling early in the morning and it's about to kick off. Same guy told us that Airwolf landed in the clearing in the woods, and he met them.

It was like being in the Goonies lol

Shouldn't you be justifying the beating of thousands of women carrying flowers in Minsk?

Come on now Elmer, its all in your formbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭lizzyjane

I never said that it gave them a right to invade Ukraine. Ive condemned it since they annexed Crimea and I will continue to condemn it. But we must realise this conflicts origins isnt as one sided as some people on here seem to think.

• Advertisement

Again with this convoluted spiel.

The two far right candidates in Ukraine got less than 2% of the vote between them. Most European countries have higher far-right political representation than Ukraine. The country is run by a Jew.

Meanwhile here's the head of Putin's Wagner group

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement