Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Install

Options
  • 20-10-2022 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any info on what needs to be done when getting Fibre to the Home?

Had a quick look on eir the other day and it says 1GB fibre is available at my home now,

I'm currently on Virgin 1GB Cable but its €90 p/m, Eir is only €50 p/m for 1gb and cheaper again for the lower packages.

I'm trying to find out how much work they need to do to get the Fibre connection installed,

Some houses I see have the Fibre termination box in the attic which would be my preferred option as I can reroute everything from there myself,

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Are the eircom phone and fibre lines underground or overhead at your house?

Do you or did your house have a copper phone line connection?

If so, how did/does the line come to your house?

Is there a small white telecoms box, ETU, on your house, normally close to the meter box?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah we have the comms box at the side of the House, Phone Lines & Virgin Coax cable come up through underground duct into this box.

This comms box then is connected to the attic, Virgin Coax runs up through to the attic and down into office upstairs where it is terminated and I have Modem.

I'd like to do the same with the Eir fibre but can't see any info whether this is possible or not, I don't want to chance it and then find they won't install it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm interested in this too. I tried contacting eir to ask what exactly the installers (KN I think) are able and/or willing to do to accommodate customers' requirements and got nowhere.

I've read elsewhere that they're prepared to run fiber cabling up to 1m away from the entry point, which in my case, assuming the current ducting isn't blocked in any way, would be the ETU on the side of my house.

The problem is that behind that wall is our master bedroom and there's a full width fitted wardrobe on that wall, so any hole would end up in the back of the wardrobe which clearly cannot work, and even if it could there's no accessible power either.

The only feasible way to get it to work would be to run fiber for about 3 or 4 m along the side of the house and enter into my "study" where all my IT gear and current Virgin coax connection is currently, but I can't get eir/KN to say whether they'd do some kind of pre-installation check to see what the can do. I'm not going to sign up, and then have a discussion/argument with the KN guy on installation day and either end up with a useless installation or tell them to go away and cancel the installation, if that's even a possibility at that stage.

Thing is also, our estate has only recently been enabled and it's extremely likely that most houses in the estate will have the same issue, so it's actually in their best interests to do a little bit of investigation beforehand to resolve any issues before people commit to an install.

Ok, the fibre will generally follow the route of the copper cable from the road, after that it will be up to the installer on the day, the rule is 1m from the entry point close to a power point.

Would it be possible to run a draw string from the ETU to the attic, if could make the job easier on the day? My brother recently did this in preparation for NBI fibre which is due here in 2025/26.

Yeah it's a waste scheduling an install and then getting told it can't be done,

I wouldn't mind even if they said standard install was free but you could pay extra to get cables run to other location

• Advertisement

They will run the fibre externally from the ETU to a point suitable and enter there.

No pre-installation check, they will assess the job when they arrive and discuss what's possible, from reports here they are generally quite accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That sounds encouraging, but I'd like a bit more than that if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

Is there an installation fee being quoted to you if you order? If not, then why not order and see what the engineer says on the day? Worst case scenario is you're not happy with their proposed solution and you can refuse the install. This won't be an argument, they'll just cancel the job.

I genuinely don't fancy your chances of getting an answer from Eir or KN over the phone as ultimately the engineer will make a decision on what is feasible, but as said, they are generally accommodating and I would be fairly certain they'll be able to work around your needs.

Yeah that's my thinking too, I have placed the order anyway so will see how we go, I think usually they have an install date within a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I had two different kn visits. The first lad didn't find the duct in the street as there was debris so left but was willing to install along window to my hall rather than drill directly into nearest room.total extra distance about 10 foot. Second guy wasn't as keen was his last install of the day and muttered about first guy but In the end he agreed and it's in the hall where my phone connection and fibre to the cabinet install was.

• Advertisement

I have an install date for the 8th Nov so I will update this thread when\if the install is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Ive just given 30 days notice to Virgin and going to order this fibre. See how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I have an OpenEir install, replaced my Siro install. Using Blacknight 2Gb internet connection. The KN guy that installed it was great and more than happy to help and accomidate my custom install and placement of the Huawei ONT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

2 years waiting, 10 visits and a host of excuses until it was finally installed. Happy with the service. Price of the phone is crazy though. Not to mention the fact your have to phone them for SIP service and cannot do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Do you have 2 ONT at the house then , OpenEir and SIRO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yes and no. I took the Siro install ONT and unplugged and put it to the side. I recapped the Siro fibre line so the cable is there if its ever needed again. I have cancelled it all with Sky so whether they want to come take it all away thats up to them

Just got my 1gb fibre installed today,

I ran a length of spare CAT5 down from the attic into the Wallbox on the outside of the house so all they had to do was tape the fibre cable to it and I could pull it up into the attic and down into the office,

Technician installed a Fibre termination box which is then connected to a Huawei box, this is then connected to the Eir router so you need 2 power sockets

All working fine so far, I have ordered 2 of the Smart Wifi Hubs as I want to improve the signal quality in a few areas and the existing system I have is a few years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Can I jump on the back of this thread please…

I am in a new build and the duct is in place to the ETU. The builders have then run a length of Cat V and also a length of fibre from there to the comms cabinet in the utility.

There is no sockets the other side of the wall and it’s bottom of the stairs anyway so wouldn’t be feasible for the modem.

I had KN out to install for Eir and he said it was a no-go, the cat v and the fibre already installed were useless because he couldn’t join them, and from the road it had to be one continuous length of fibre.

Is this correct? If so, why would the builder wire it like that? I’ve another visit on the 16th - is it worth standing my ground?

thanks!

I think they are correct I know when they done mine it's one long run of fibre from the cabinet across the road underground to my house and up into the attic,down into my office where it is terminated

Correct, one continuous fibre cable from the DP to the ONT inside, the ONT is the network demarcation point at your house.

Haven't heard of builders running fibre previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭phog

They probably could splice eir supplied cables as the size would be standard but eir wouldn't want them splicing onto a private fibre cable because if there's ever a fault there could be an argument about who should maintain cables to the demarcation point.

Best bet for you is to have a think about how KN can get to a point within your house where they can fit the NTU and you can fit a modem.

Thanks both - I think it’s very odd that the builder would run a length of fibre to the ETU and not a duct of some kind but I guess it’s cheaper.

i must chat to a few neighbours as there are a good few that have had fibre installed…

it’s frustrating to have to drill through when there is supposedly a way of doing it cleanly in place if they did just connect them

Could the fibre installed by the builder be used as a pull through for the eir fibre?

Nah I doubt it - there would be a couple of corners and also I’d bet the builder has tacked it to the wall on the inside of the wall where the ETU is…

It’s pretty annoying to be honest. But then again a neighbour did say that they spliced into the cable at the ETU only last week so seems to vary between installers for sure. I might ask to take a picture of his install so I have something to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Yeah generally splicing is not to be done but depends on the installer aswell. Some will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

Does anyone know if they'd be prepared to run the cable over the roof and into the back of the house (it's a terraced house)?

When I got virgin broadband this is how they did it, but that was a good few years ago now. I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

I think they'll bring it through the attic before going over the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

through the attic if possilbe otherwise defnitely not over roof

One thing to consider about going over the roof is that unless the cable is secure then you'll have wear and tear and you'll fibre will go faulty in a short period of time.

• Advertisement

Check where the phone cable comes in at the side of the house, you may have a pipe leading up to the attic, that's what the did for my installation

Advertisement