Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Labour would have won the motion if it hadn't been three-line whipped, which is exactly why it was three-line whipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This.

In fact, it's better than that. Labour forced 300+ Tories to publicly back something many of them and their constituents are against and that directly contravenes the 2019 Tory manifesto.

And, as a welcome by-product, they got the Tory party to demonstrate vividly that it is a welter of chaos, confusion, bitterness and recrimination with no leadership, no direction, no authority and no real clue about what it is doing or why. The UK currently has no effective Prime Minister and it's open to question whether it has an effective government.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

I wonder was Truss walked into an ambush?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Truss is a disaster, and has always been.

No political ability, and no leadership talent. In fact a talent free space, and a waste of that space. She has an obsession with cheese, for some inexplicable reason - so now - hard cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sharks are definitely in the water, though if they think they're unpopular now, wait 'til the Tories start resisting calls for a General Election upon Truss' replacement.

So how many days does Truss have to hang on for, just so she doesn't suffer the ignominy of being, officially, the shortest PM to serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Truss is right now in a meeting with Graham Brady of the 1922 ctte.

she's fu**ed. Expect a resignation this afternoon.

She will at least in one way she will be remembered as being similar to Thatcher 😝

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You mean another toxic Eurosceptic defenestrated and dumped in the House of Lords to fulminate endlessly at the taxpayer's expense?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

she needs 120 days to overtake Canning who died in office (which probably seems like an easy escape to Truss at the moment); it's unthinkable she could make it that far.

Incidentally, there's a statue of Canning across the road from Big Ben; will they replace it with one of Truss?! (no I don't know why he's wearing a toga)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

120 days? Yeah, then she's toast and it's just a matter of when - and what happens then. Fadó fadó in the ancient times of 2016+ I'd have just presumed after one seismic shift in UK politics there would, eventually, be some return to normalcy - however reduced or contrived it might be.

It's quite remarkable how the winning side of the greatest political sea-change in UK politics in decades (centuries?) somehow managed to self-sabotage to the point of historic & record-breaking unpopularity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@loyatemu got there before me to reply to @pixelburp on the shortest PM and the number of days but I may as well post this anyhow...

Thanks both.

On a lighter note, just to contextualise the degree to which there is chaos in the UK government, Wikipedia has required a disambiguation page. Do you mean the July crisis, or October crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Statement at 1:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Beth Rigby saying no.10 source confirms its over, they are actually going to try force through another PM without an election

I don’t believe that she will resign. She’ll acknowledge everything that has happened, apologise profusely, and say that she’s focussed on the October 31 statement. I think it will be a change in tone

I just don’t see that she can resign into a complete vacuum of process and people to replace her

but I’m probably wrong

edit 30 seconds later: I believe a source has confirmed that I am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks like she is gone....haha...yep resigned.

Who is next for PM?

Larry the cat? He gets my vote..he fought off a fox! Strong and stable

Husband with her.

It's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Can only be the lettuce? No suitable candidates within the party can compete with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 32,620 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nadine Dorries creaming her jeans at the mere mention of him!

Can't believe after being glued to the phone all day she goes as I put my phone away and step out to lunch.

I didn't expect my own post to be that out of touch, that quickly; Truss gone. The UK officially a basket-case and any sneering about Italy (for instance) and its rotating-door governments feels misplaced at best.

There has to be a General Election, and if the Tories have an inch of respect for the institutions they claim to love, they'll call one. Anything else is anti-democratic - and that's the generous read. A new PM has absolutely no mandate; not speaking as someone anti-Tory - cos I am - but someone who recognises a government without any popular support whatsoever.

They'd have to resurrect Churchill himself to stand a chance of clawing back the polls towards parity with Labour.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What a complete and utter mess the Tories have made of the last number of years. 5 PMs in 6 years is mad.

I expect they will turn to Sunak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah presser was announced and 20 mins later she was gone

No questions taken, she couldn't even out Cameron David Cameron because she said she'd stay in office until the leadership contest is over when he just dropped the mic and left with immediate effect

I'm guessing the reason she's staying until the new leader is announced is because her Vice PM wants to put her hat in the ring for the top job

I can't imagine any sensible people would want to take over this sh1tshow

Who's the next lunatic up?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

What a hideous thought which I can't get out of my head now! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭rock22

Whatever about likely candidates, it is absolutely insane to hand over selection again to the Tory party membership.

It is surely necessary that the leader or party chairman nominate someone for PM in the next few days if there is to be any hope of restoring confidence in UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Some of the radio coverage sounds shocked.

How the eff could anyone be shocked by this??

Advertisement