Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham Knights/Court of Owls (WB Montreal)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's definitely not because of the Xbox Series S - that has a similar CPU but lower power GPU, but is still totally fine for games at 1080p 60fps versus say 4k/1440 at 60fps on Series X/PS5 with some visual improvements to match.

EG Apex on Series S is 1080p 60fps standard settings; on Series X it's 4k60 with additional visual upgrades like distance draw etc. The same is true for almost all games that run on both, there's absolutely different optimisation for the different versions.

Microsoft dictate that a game cannot run on Series X but not S, not that the versions can't be different.

Again, sounds to me like the game is just shoddily optimised. Remember when Arkham Knight first came out? On PC that launched as a disaster, game was also locked to 30fps, riddled with bugs, horrible performance and ran like utter dogshit even on decent PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

This will be good on gamepass in January

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This makes the 30FPS lock and next-gen only requirement seem even more inexplicable. Something definitely went awry during development of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad I didn't order, I'll wait for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was watching some gameplay and it literally looks like a shadow of Arkham. Like they took the Arkham games, made them look and feel worse than a last gen game and then forced it onto next gen. It's bizarre. I really want to play it but waiting on deep sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah I'm waiting deep deep sale for this. Was watching Gamespot After Dark podcast last night and they were talking about how disappointing this is. To unlock the traversal method for each character, you have to do knighthood challenges which consist of some timed races and solving 10 premeditated crimes. To unlock these crimes you need to gather evidence from random crimes and such so it's a lot of grinding. One comment I found interesting is that it felt like they added things to the game just to make it longer and that they didn't do the Court of Owls justice. Definitely looks like a game where alot of decisions were made by higher ups and developers were forced to follow.

This tweet from Tamoor Hussain explains it a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Cotts72

This is very disappointing, I'd it reserved in argos for later but like many I'll wait for a sale..

I watched the SkillUp review this morning and the grinding to unlock things sound tuuurrrrible. Just hearing how to unlock Batgirl's cape glide is such an awful decision. Then to unlock fast travel, you have to find drones and scan them but some you can only scan when they land to recharge so you're basically following around this slow drone and waiting to scan it to unlock a fast travel point. Who thought that sounded like a fun mechanic.

The combat looks fun but it does seem like this started off as an Avengers type game that swerved to try be something else.

• Advertisement

Did anyone pick this up? Very tempted to get it for Christmas at the 38 euro price tag from Smyths. I can't see it going below that price for a while and wouldn't take too much of a hit if i sold it on. I see it's gotten a few patches but my spidey sense is still tingling when i think about getting it.

**** it, gonna take a chance on this. I'm enjoying Midnight Suns but it's such a big game and I don't have the head for tactics at the moment, need more brainless fun for now so gonna trade it for straight swap for Gotham Knights. Probably gonna regret it but here goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

It was better than reviews gave it credit for. Nothing remotely ground breaking, but played like a dumbed down version of Spiderman. I had a good bit of fun with it anyhow

Only did the first bit so far and even though it's janky, the 30fps is so obvious after playing so much 60 fps, the combat isn't as tight as Arkham, it's still the kind of action I was looking for. Batgirl is awesome but I'm not sold on the voice acting yet.

Some cool shots already and bound to be more. WB pulled a fast one only releasing it next gen. It must have been so poorly optimised that it's very hard to believe a game that looks and plays like this wasn't able for last gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I played the trial on psn and would liked play a bit more it . Might get it on sale or surely come to game pass at some stage .

Alright, have a few hours pumped into this and gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's janky and clunky to move around, awful frame rate, shananigans that this is current gen only. It does have its moments of beauty but nothing i haven't seen on last gen. The crimes are repetitive and there are a ton of different icons and crafting stuff that i don't have a clue of.

Saying that, I'm still having fun. Very addictive breaking up little crimes to get info to unlock bigger crimes, feels like you're actually a vigilante out patrolling Gotham. If they didn't go the GAAS route and put more effort into developing a quality game, they'd have such a hit on their hands.

Oh the burn was kicking in with stopping random free l crimes so i pushed on with the story. The acting and story is crap, started skipping cutscenes which i never did in the Arkham games. I'm starting to enjoy the combat but there's way too many "take out room of goons" parts, not enough proper stealth.

It's such a weird one, when i finish a session, half of me wants to trade it in while it still has some value and the other half wants to finish the game because I'm enjoying it. Will keep going for now but I've a feeling ill be trading it in before i complete it and hope it comes to ps plus at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

The fighting is not as smooth as the batman games. It's an ok game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally decided to try this out. Intro was pretty cool, but the 30fps was immediately obvious. Granted, I came straight from Spiderman 2 at 120hz, so I probably didn't give it a fair chance. Only played about an hour, picked Batgirl. Voice acting is terrible, sounds so disconnected. She did a terrible job imo. The rest didn't seem appealing either, moody goth, angry dude and unsure genius child...

Movement is horrible, animations are terrible and everything looks so cheap. Combat us basic but also feels disconnected. And I just can't get used to the 30fps... I'm already done. Hard to believe this is only a year old, feels much older. Not a patch on the Batman games. Leaves me with little hope for the Suicide Squad one. I've said it before, but 4 characters is too many. Rockstar got lucky with GTA V and 3 of them. Having 2 is hard enough but can work. The Batman games worked because you were 1 character imo.

Advertisement