Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I could survive easy enough until next year. Kids will have to get used to van life 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Post edited by g0g on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Times are changing in the car market.

I don’t believe used cars can command as much a premium as they used to but as always, all cars will sell once priced correctly.

If you buy this for €52,900 and in a year the grant goes, the new ones automatically become a €60k car so your second hand value will be based off €60k rather than €52,900.

All hypothetical at the moment of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Question for MY owners/to be owner, how do you see the MY comfort/size wise when you compare it with BMW F10?

I have never sat in any Tesla, the price drop is an attraction but I wouldn't like to have a feeling that I've paid c. €35K to downgrade. As one of the poster said earlier that it looks like a stretched up version of M3 (Carwow guy said the same :) ) but I'd take unkle words over Mr. Watson that it looks nicer in real. TIA for your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They way anyone feels it looks is subjective. Go look in the showroom for yourself and book a test drive. Tesla have come a long way, but a Model 3 / Model Y is simply not a premium car like your BMW is. The current cars also have fairly harsh suspension particularly on optional bigger wheels, but this has been addressed in the cars that we have just now ordered (but haven't entered Ireland yet). Don't expect it to as much of a driver's car as a BMW though.

Did you consider buying a BMW i4 instead? Every bit a BMW but it is very small in the back. If you don't or rarely carry more than 4 people, that should not be a problem. It doesn't qualify for any grant though, so it is a lot more money. And there are problems getting them. A fully electric 5 series is also on the way, but expect that to be a lot more money again. Approaching €100k I'd expect, with a few options ticked.

• Advertisement

Thank you unkel for your unbiased opinion.

Yes, I've been in i4 M50. It was an amazing experience which comes with a price tag which is 50%+ more than MY. I agree, I'd expect i5 to be around €90K mark same as EQE and same goes for A6 etron. Due to the 70K-90K price range, I was looking at MY but wasn't sure what it is like comfort/ feel wise when you are in it. I bought F10 new in 2014 and have loved every mile I have driven which make it harder to decide! Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

As @unkel says the best thing to do is test one, the first impression I got when I sat in a Model 3 was the airiness and softness and comfort of the seats. And simplicity of the info screen.

When I first sat in a Y it felt the same, just bigger...😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I have a f10 and we are buying the y to replace a 14 year old tiguan. The ride on the y was harsh but thats remedied now when we get it as @unkel has reported.

comparing the y ride to the f10 - f10 is better, and i feel is a more enclosed/wrap around feel than the Y that feels like one of those new office buildings. Think apple store space kind of thing.

however, the y has so much spec from base model that it eclipses any other competitors. For the price and delivery time theres no competitor, and if you specced an enyaq (which we did spec) or and id4, same specs would nudge you ovee 60k.

im happy with buying the y for a lot of reasons, but im very very happy with my f10.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

They're not comparable, as Unkel states the BMW is a premium car.

@Spipov - I see you are keeping F10 (as you are very very happy!) but replacing your Tiguan with MY which answers my question. I agree, F10 gives a very wrap around feel. That said, the minimalist interior of MY looks great. You got best of both worlds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

A bit dismissive no? So only idiots want decent range and the possibility of carrying more that 5 passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Has anyone who has ordered tried ringing TESLA to enquire if the cars to be delivered in Q1 2023 to Ireland are Made in China or Berlin?

I have seen logical points for both in the previous pages but nothing that I would regard as definitive.

Also the question I would have is that if these are coming from China I understand the issues are perceived build quality, Older 60 battery pack and harsher ride, given these variables are folks who ordered prepared to go ahead on that basis with their order.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

I'm in a similar situation in that I've never even sat in a Tesla but I have seen the MY on the road in the States a good bit and am happy enough with the styling. Have bought quite a few makes in the UK over the years BMW, Volvo, Jaguar without ever having driven the particular model and Ok with taking a chance. That said I'm not fussy and too bothered with a relatively harsh ride if that is the case with the MY, there's an XC90 on 22's in the house as well so it can't be worse than that. Most of my driving is a short motorway commute. I had no intention of changing at the moment and had my eye on the EV6 GT Line in maybe 12 or 18 months time. But given the new price point on the MY and tech, you are getting a lot of bang for your buck and feel it's too good a price not to go for it.

As an aside I've a 161 Leaf I bought privately in the UK 3 years ago this month and it looks like I could be selling it for €2.5k to €3.5k more than I paid for it which I just can't get my head around at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

yes. and while its a diesel, its given me no trouble in all the years i have it ( 230k km now). im servicing regularly, and maybe might change in 1-2 years for when electric cars are more affordable, or there's a better choice out there. i might think of an i4, as i can now downsize (im not doing 500km a week anymore as i changed jobs).

Checked with a colleague over there. He told me MYLR is still being built in Shanghai and that Berlin are building Performance model. He wasn't sure on RWD. I'll ask around in work as I know one our sites makes some of their IC's and might be able to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

yeah that's true, I'm not desperate for a model Y but if it costs me around 6k to change I think its a good deal, but i'm very happy with the current car and if it takes over 15k to change i'm indifferent

Had a read of Tesla's earnings call last night. Below are the only snippets that were relative to the Model Y or Berlin. No idea what a 4680 is but anyway.

"On the production ramp, Giga Berlin achieved another milestone of 2,000 cars made in a week with very good quality and is ramping rapidly"

"And the cost of shipping has come down tremendously. Like last year, the cost of a container on the spot market from Shanghai got as high as $20,000. And now it's $3,500, $3,600. It's that kind of reality."

"Some of the Model Ys coming out of Giga Texas are 4680. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dropped into Sandyford yesterday for a look and booked a test drive for tomorrow morning. They have a demo 2022 MY LR but otherwise the same car. Salesman on duty confirmed Berlin not building RHD anytime soon so the entire 2023 allocation for RHD markets are MIC cars, but with improved BYD battery pack.

75 confirmed orders as of 5pm yesterday since the pricing changed and the phone has not stopped hopping he said. Feb/March has also now become March.

Can confirm the Gemini wheels are hideous with any colour MY so that's a real sticking point. For the sake of 400 could they not have moved the optional 20" wheels to €1900 to make the cut? Will ask tomorrow if there is any option to do anything post-sale on this.

@MojoMaker - "Salesman on duty confirmed Berlin not building RHD anytime soon so the entire 2023 allocation for RHD markets are MIC cars, but with improved BYD battery pack."

That's interesting, but I would take what they know / say with a large grain of salt. How did he explain the price drop then, even if shipping from China is cheap. Are Tesla really paying the €6k import duty out of their own pocket from now on? I don't think so ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

trying to get a trade in price on tesla website .. filled in details and next button wont enable .. form seems filled out correctly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Salesman in tesla havent a clue about anything tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

4680 is Tesla's new battery format. 46mm in diameter and 80mm tall. Promises better energy density, power delivery, less heat etc. Not sure how much of an impact it has in the real world though.

No 4680s will be made in Germany or China for quite some time to come. Our cars won't have them. We'll be getting Chinese batteries, either from BYD or from CATL. I hope the former.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks, if the BYD pack is true then Tesla need to update the approved WLTP range to 440kms, it’s still at 455kms which suggests LFP pack…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Those who take first deliveries should be able to confirm which battery pack

Tesla Model Y "Type 005" (internally as the "Y7CR" variant):

• range: 440 km (273 miles)
    • energy consumption: 15.5 kWh/100 km (155 Wh/km or 249 Wh/mile)
    • battery: 55 kWh (BYD cells)
    • structural battery pack
    • weight: 2,087 kg

That does not correlate to the car being sold at present on the Tesla Ireland website, current model being sold correlates to 60kWh pack.

Yep, Tesla haven't updated the website. The figures are still for the MIC €65k car and not the made in Germany €53k car

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Totally agree but I know by now that the whole point in Tesla not actually stating a battery pack size is that they basically just do what they want and change things as and when they like with no recourse.

Regarding the container shipping cost - so this is something just particular to MY's and not the entirety of their fleet? Never heard such rubbish.

The UK website is similar, really looks like RHD MY RWD are MIC/LFP. Harsher ride, I wish there could be an 18” aero wheel option for the Y for those range conscious

• Advertisement

My theory is that the UK are getting different Model Y cars than we will. The UK pricing alone suggests that. There is no tax benefit for the UK customer to get their cars from Germany instead of from China. The same WTO import duty of 10% applies.

Advertisement