Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Value Dropping

• 13-10-2022 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi All,

I know there are a lot of problems in the UK at the moment with pensions but could this be right in that in the past two months the value of one of my pensions dropped by 10,000 euro. I am with Aon.

Fergal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If your pension fund was 11,000 and it dropped to 1, 000 that's wrong

If it was 400,000 and it dropped to 390,000 that's understandable, it's a 2.5% drop

If you are young it probably doesn't matter, you are buying in cheaper each month now

If you are drawing down pension next month you've just lost 10,000

So it depends on your circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not knowing the size of your pot but I would say yes.

Its global as well. Though the Truss budget bomb has its own side effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if you are more than 10 years off retirement then what you should do is this: nothing. The worst thing you can do during a downturn in the markets is panic and move your money into 'safer' funds like cash, that way you will miss the recovery. And with stocks and shares, there always is a recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The UK issues at the moment are mostly to do with DB funds from what I gather. Yours will be DC and as said above - unless you are retiring soon you do not need to worry. Over 30 years your investment will go up and down in the short term but always end on the up. Way up over that period.

That said, my DC fund is down 70k since january but still way up on what it was 3 years ago.

What most people do is move most/all from higher risk investments to much lower risk investments (and lower yield) as they get closer to retirement. Maybe talk to your AON pension adviser for more guidance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you want to get reasonable commentary here, not advice, then you need to provide some information how what fund you are actually talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Meathcat

Mine dropped by €20k during the early part of the pandemic which was understandable given the financial crisis. It was only at something like €60k at the time. It recovered considerably after that.

It also depends on what type of investment program you are in. High risk, medium risk or low risk. High means you have much better returns but it can also drop a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

investments go up and go down but averaged over long periods of time historically they tend to go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Any complaints about the massive growth your pension had in the previous few years?

Market had got way ahead of itself. Ideally you should have moved into a less risky fund earlier this year.

The strength of the dollar has helped soften the blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Ok, thanks everyone for your replies. I still have 16 years to retirement so I think I will just leave it. I always used to just ignore it but it must be that I am getting older.

Thanks for all the great replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a sterling UK pension. At one point during covid it lost a massive chunk in value. Made most of it back again then.

Tbh, I'm afraid to look now again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you're still more than ten years from retirement, I would not be concerned about what the market looks like today. No one can truly predict the future, but odds are very high that the market value of your fund will be higher than it is today by the time you retire.

If you are concerned about stability of your pension as you approach retirement, you could see if your provider offers a "target date" or "target retirement" fund. This is a balanced fund which is automatically rebalanced as your chosen date approaches to have fewer high-risk volatile investments like equities and foreign stocks, and more lower-risk and less volatile investments like bonds or even a certain amount of cash. This helps reduce the effect of a sudden downturn in the market right at the time you are retiring. Check with whoever manages your pension fund for more information; they usually can't directly give you financial advice (unless your provider offers that as an extra service), but they can advise you about the available funds in your plan and provide the details of each.

.... and I did look. And wished I hadn't.

It reached its peak value last August 2021, and today it is down nearly 30% from that amount.

Can only hope that the remaining 11-13 years before I retire can wipe out these type of loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

What is the makeup of that fund? It sounds very high risk. My 3 pensions (from 3 previous employments) are all in the highest risk funds from their respective providers, yet are only down between 8% and 20% from their 2021 peaks.

11-13 years should be plenty of time for it to recover (and deliver significant gains), but also plenty of time for another shock to the markets! So you will definitely want to de-risk as soon as you can afford.

I think it's on the high side of medium risk, if that makes sense.

I must log in again and check, as I think you are able to change the risk level online, although I'm not sure how long it takes to take effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm way off retirement but my fund is down 7% in the last year. And its aggressively managed, although it is very well diversified. The risk was chosen by me. So 30% drop seems highly volatile.

6 month figures also down 7% and 3 month figures almost break even.

So I lost 7% between 3 and 6 months ago (April to july) more or less balanced out rest of the year.

I'd ring your investment manager or financial advisor and find out what kind of assets its invested in, even just for your own knowledge. And look for the return you've gotten since you started, that's an important figure too.

Just tried to change it online, but unable to find the option. Its set at 5 out of 5, medium to high . Spoke with their live chat but unable to help for some reason. Will call them this week when I get time.

It's 100% in one fund, managed by Aviva. Its a company pension scheme and I have no dealings with it tbh. As for diversifying it, I wouldn't have the knowledge, but I must speak with a financial advisor and get them to have a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

When people access the percentage fall in you pension are you taking contributions into account?

Example - My fund since December last year has dropped 3% but that is from that snapshot in time. Since then I have contributed 10 more monthly payments which have been wiped off also. So that brings real losses up to 15.7%.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well loss might not be the correct term so, but my point still stands when people say how much was wiped off their fund. In essence my contributions this year were all plugging a hole in funds "loses" in the market. So instead of 3% "reduction" in fund value it's actually 15%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You must have a very small fund if the contributions you made in the past year account for 12% of it's current value.

• Advertisement

I upped my contributions last year. I'm putting in around 1,600 per month and employer €480. So that's €24,000 ish per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Happyhouse22

The current bear market could theoretically be quite good for you if you are investing for the long term - any of the contributions this year are investing at a lower rate than previously meaning you are getting them at discount would greater scope for growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

They weren't plugging a hole, they were buying more units than earlier payments sinc ethe price has reduced.

Advertisement