Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fvcking called it, Andrew Bridgen just suggested on Sky that Hunt could scrap HS2 to close the budget gap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Breathtaking humiliation for Truss, the Tories and Britain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was in Paris recently and I recall having a wee debate with myself on whether or not I would ever want to live there. One of my points against was inherent French instability in comparison with the UK, Brexit, Covid included. This is just perverse.

And as for democracy, this is the same grubby little party that shoved their own version of Brexit through on the back of a dirty referendum with less than a 4% majority for the outcome. They've suborned everything to themselves - the media, the law, the courts, even the country as a whole.

This country can't, God forgive me, grow in any regard - culturally, economically or politically - until this tumour is excised. We even had Nadine Dorries complaining about what the party's donors would and would not wear on national television ffs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I felt that her calling for another leadership contest had a hint of spite in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not enough time to have Tory party membership to vote. Must be a case of change of rules to facilitate election by the parliamentary party.

But with no obvious agreed candidate, going to be a dirty fight one thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,754 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will mark the beginning of the end for the ERG. They got their candidate in office and she was a disaster. Their last throw of the dice might be to back Braverman but I'd be surprised if the party overall will be in the mood for another ultra. Hopefully this means a move away from the hard right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We must also take a moment to applaud Liz Truss though for making history, as long as the United Kingdom exists: she is the Prime Minister with the shortest-ever premiership. It seems unlikely it'll ever be topped, though this current group of Tories might give it a good go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And thus the noises commence, starting with the only respectable leader in UK politics, Nicola Sturgeon. This mantra will only grow, the more the Tories show their craven lust for power for its own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

She was terrible but at least she had the good grace to quit once she knew she was fupped, unlike Johnson who dragged it out for months after he lost enough support to govern (his party let alone the country).

They won't call an election sadly because they'll be totally mullered, my homeland is fupped for the next two years as the Tories limp on. I feel for my family still living there.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Yeah the membership are to blame. The parliamentary party, like or loathe them, would never have chosen Truss. Apparently the membership lean older and more right wing than both the parliamentary party and the broader Tory constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭rock22

But that is the party rules for leadership of the party.

Surely what the UK needs, short of a general election, is a PM. That person can be voted in place by MPS before the leadership of the Tory party is decided.

it is crazy to suggest, as last time, theat the country must wait while 200000 tory party members decide who their leader is.

Disagree with your assessment of Sturgeon. I think she is a clever charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Which literally means you don't think she's actually good at real politics behind the public face.

Wrong!

Bojo is ideal replacement....from the point of view of Keir Starmer. Therefore the membership are probably stupid enough to choose him again. Well, never interupt your enemy when he's making a mistake, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Whose rules? They can change the rules anytime it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Boris Johnson seems to be interested in the Job again

They would need to be utterly insane to even consider him as a candidate in this race

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep The Times are calling it.

Whatever power he had is gone now that he will be seen by the electorate as a failure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

His control over the party will be absolute though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 45,576 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unfortunately, I think a depressing number of Tory voters would be pleased to have him back.

I agree with both of ye.

But it will fix none of their poll woes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

The Daily Mail commenters all calling Sunak a snake for turning on Boris, who they seem to want back. I have no idea what’s going to happen in the next week. Neither does anyone else. Dramatic/entertaining, but terrible for the UK as a whole.

Jesus; I can't decide if a return of Johnson would arrest the bleed of Tory support, or simply accelerate it. Are memories that short?

A General Election at least opens the chance to change the narrative on what the Tories are; take their lumps, elect a centrist, speak to the important of Democracy and putting the question to the electorate.

They won't, of course. But that seems the best approach IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Alec Douglas-Home was at appointment as PM, the thirteenth Earl of Home. He had to relinquish his title, and run in a safe seat to get into the HoC, and then became Sir Alec Douglas-Home.

Rishi it seems is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So glad I got my money on Boris early

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I cannot see Rishi as a likely PM - he was rejected by the membership. He would have no mandate as PM because of that.

At least Truss did not call a GE - which is a pity. That would be an action filled with spite. She would become the PM who had the shortest occupation of No. 10, and the last Tory PM for many, many, many, many years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mordaunt is the most viable option IMO.

She came 3rd in the last leadership run, has no Johnson baggage, has no Truss baggage, and unlike Sunak doesn't have the millstone of being rejected in a members vote.

Johnson still has that investigation ongoing, he'd be far too risky a pick. Straight away back into controversy.

Advertisement