Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There will be recourse if they supply a car of lesser WLTP range, this happened in the UK (I forget which variant car it was) and they had to inform customers in advance of pickup to give them the option to walk away.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

I had the same confirmed in an email yesterday; RWD models to be shipped from China and to have the same setup as the current AWD models. I was asking about a RWD test drive and they confirmed they would have any models in Sandyford until RWD orders are shipped in February. I specifically asked about the suspension setup and they said it would be the same as the current AWD models in Sandyford. I'm waiting to hear back if that's still the case after Elon's recent tweet about the new suspension setup in the Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The staff havent a clue, would not put any stock in that. Half the fanboys on the internet know more about tesla and whats happening next than the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Duine_Eigin

Just heard back from them about the AWD suspension vs the RWD suspension. They said the 2021 test drive Model Y in Sandyford has the old suspension setup and the 2022 model has the updated suspension. I test-drove the 2021 model and didn't notice it being overly harsh. If that is true and you are looking for a Model Y test drive, see if you can request the 2022 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Was out in Sandyford this morning and dropped in to have a look at the MY, not going to add anything that isn't already on the interweb, just my personal observations. It feels a lot bigger than the M3 RWD I arrived in, I have always had low slung driving positions but really liked the elevated driving position, the cabin is very open and roomy. The rear space is excellent, probably the most legroom I've had since I was in the back of a Superb on a trip from Dublin to Cork. The boot is very practical nice flat loading area and a huge under floor storage, also the frunk looks a good deal bigger than the M3. The sound system is definitely a big step up over the M3 even listening to Spotify, noticeable bass and more engaging sound. It is a M3 on steroids so the cabin is the same bar the space and seating position. Liked the glass roof without the partition, only thing I didn't work out was if there is somewhere to store the boot cover when carrying a load, would like a retractable cover like my last cars. The added versatility for me is a big bonus and if the cost to change isn't too drastic, I cant wait to get my hands on one.

I had a fellow M3 driver with me and he moaned about how ugly it is and he wouldn't dream of having one blah blah blah, had only ever seen one in passing as they are still a rare sight here, he left extremely impressed, my money is on him ordering one before the end of the day. They look much better in the flesh than they do online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Core6

I went for a test drive in a Model Y today too. I arrived in my Sept '22 Model 3 RWD and went straight in to a Model Y -- it was a 222 reg LR one.

It is significantly larger with a higher driving position than the M3. I probably feels like an even bigger difference due to the extra headroom. There is acres of room in the back seat but is still just a 5 seater, of course. The space in the boot is dramatically bigger than the M3 with easier hatchback access.

Driving it the suspension felt softer and more pliant than the Model 3.

However, I didn't think that it was as nice to drive as the M3 -- the higher driving position and greater mass doesn't help. Yes, the MY with 4WD and extra power has noticeably quicker acceleration but the RWD version won't have that bonus. As an overall driving experience I would prefer the M3 as a driver's car (which is good but not fantastic anyway).

Others have said that the 19" Gemini wheels don't look great and I would agree with that.

If I didn't have a M3 already, I think i would have gone for a MY.

I suspect that the cost to change won't stack up and the MY isn't a clearcut winner anyway -- for me, at least. The extra space would be nice but not critical and would have to be balanced against the lower range and the lesser driving enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

I agree a real pity regards the Gemini Wheels. I still think if I order one I’ll go with them and change after. Those in the below video look good.

what’s are people’s thoughts on white interior. A few M3’s in work with it and looks great I think. Probably the only extra I’d go for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD804AMr0ss

That’s the video that also caught my eye, 100% agree the Gemini Aeros are horrendous, remind me of a cheap Asian econobox don’t know what Tesla were at that day as the M3 Aeros look quite good especially on MSM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I love the white interior. I would have been afraid to order it but I bought a car in stock with it and didn’t know until I was collecting!

It brightens up the interior big time. Not as hard to keep clean as you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I prefer bright interiors as well, and you're right, they're not as hard to keep clean as one imagines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

2 new colours in at Giga Berlin, Quicksilver & Midnight Cherry Red

Would need to see them in the flesh on a cloudy day and slightly dirty to make me switch from white, but they look good.... probably over the grant in Ireland though

On the German configurator, they are not available on the standard range, only LR and Performance, where quicksilver is 3k, and red cherry is 3.2k.

Post edited by rocky on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was hoping to get Elon Musk's experimental "Deep Crimson" colour that he has on his own Model S, it was set to make its worldwide debut in Berlin, but that looks unlikely to happen in the very short term.

There's also not a chance I'd pay €3k extra for paint. I was almost crying paying €1200 for blue 😂

My best mate changed his Model Y Performance order from MSM to Quicksilver this morning 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Model Y 19" wheel is still 455km on tesla site. i thought the berlin blade battery was 440km?

Yes this was mentioned a few times. The website is behind.

Some people (more in the know than I) on the FB group are saying the MY RWD will be MIC with the 60 kWh CATL Battery now. It will feature all the current updates though such as the revised suspension, revised rear seat design and emergency handle for rear doors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Minus sensors?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That's because they believe what Tesla sales staff in Sandyford told them. I've already outlined why this can not be the case (import duty). We are getting made in Germany cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Ok about to pull the pin but as I’m used to Audi charging you extra for the steering wheel . Can I ask is everything speced for LR MY on the spec for RWD model ,

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭podgee

Was this an Irish order ? I've a MYP ordered in MSM and like the new red..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I rang Tesla earlier today to try and establish this but the lady from Tesla that took my call also indicated that these Model Y’s are coming from China. She was based in Tesla UK and didn’t come across as very knowledgeable on the Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Thats the long range. Why this post out of curiosity as unsure what point is being made?

Spec is identical apart from the battery and extra motor on the front axle

No, Dutch from memory is where Unkles friend is.

Probably right never saw it mentioned but the previous short lived SR didn’t have them

It’s a pretty comprehensive guide to the standard spec on Model Y’s as it’s quite vague on the Tesla website

That's because the UK will probably still get the MIC Model Y. They pay €60k for a base RWD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are they really going to make the model Y in RHD only for Ireland in Germany ? I imagine Australia and other commonwealth countries will get MIC.

Advertisement