If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Settings

Options
  • 20-10-2022 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there

I recently had a faulty Samsung UE49KU6400UXXU and had it replaced under warranty (thank you !) with a Philips unit

The specs are the exact same except for it's direct lit and much newer than my old Samsung

However I just can't get the picture quality on dark shows (same sky box or same Roku) to be anywhere near as good as the Samsung was.

Shows like House of Dragons and dark background horrors really show it up . So much so even the kids comment on it

Any tips or tricks for getting to a good set up on it ?

Have tried some online guides with varied results

Thanks !

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Germancarfan.

Thanks for the post and sorry to hear you are having issues finding the right settings for the TV>

To be honest there is no right or wrong for this as everyone is different and will set things up differently.

Philips recommend the following:

Set the Contrast to a level of approximately 85, Brightness 45-50, Colour to 50-55, sharpness 5-7.

But I've also found the following recommended:

Picture mode: Cinema or Movie (NOT Sports, Vivid, Dynamic etc)

Sharpness: 0% (This is the most crucial one to set to zero — although Sony sometimes uses 50% for the “off” setting, confusingly. If the image becomes blurry at 0%, try 50%)

Backlight: Whatever is comfortable, but usually at 100% for daytime use. Adjusting this will not deteriorate picture quality.

Contrast: 100%

Brightness: 50%

Colour: 50%

Hue: 0%

Gamma: 2.2 (or 0 if the TV doesn’t have it in a range of 1.8-2.9 but uses whole numbers instead)

Tint (G/R): 50%

Turn off any kind of interpolation, image/picture processing, or other things that claim to “improve” the image quality. The only exception is “Game Mode” or sometimes “Computer Mode”, which generally enables faster frame rates (it bypasses a lot of the processing we don’t want).

Let me know if any of this is of help, although you may have already tried these settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Thanks a mill , will give those a go later , defo before HOTD series finale :D

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Germancarfan.

Let m know if they help any.

If not I can see if our service team might be able to get anything else directly from Philips.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.