Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's been a long time since I had shin splints but from memory rest is the recommended option.

So if it's painful to walk today then I would think attempting a half marathon on Sunday isn't a good idea tbh.

I ran Charleville in 2019 half injured and struggled, and then ended up doing DCM in a similar state a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

i get shin splint like pain sometimes and it’s my calf muscle has tightened up. Foam rolling helps, especially if I lean on the inside of the calf a bit. You could try that and rest tomorrow at least and make a call then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

If your main focus is DCM, then why would you put that in jeopardy by running a HM with an injury? It's too late for a blow-out anyhow so it is essentially a training run that could leave you unable to run your goal race or running it below parr... Just my opinion, don't shoot me if it's not what you want to hear 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well if I could travel back in time that is exactly what I would tell myself in September 2019 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Very sound advice. The shin splints could develop into something much more serious like a stress fracture if you proceed with your plan to race a HM at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Ah look I knew the answer myself but sometimes just good to be told straight out disappointing and all as it is to miss a tune up race

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Less a random running question than a random running rant! Had 15 x 400m to complete - got through them, happy out, tough session etc. Got home and checked Garmin, only completed 14. Is there anything worse?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Nothing as bad!

I used pebbles sometimes to mark when I had done each hill rep... got a fair bit of stick for it on my log but didn't miss a rep😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The watch should tell you how many you've done?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Advertisement

You're probably right about the watch. I usually just go off old school laps of a 400m track around the local gaa field. I may start using the watch, or collect a few more pebbles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haile

Intervals - Does it matter if you jog or walk recoveries? I’m interested in hearing people’s thoughts on this. Personally I always jog so my sessions are one continuous run.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Way back when I started running, I'd always jog the recoveries as the first plan I followed said to do this (a Runners World plan), and then it became habit and I continued to do so. Years later when I joined a club, we always walked recoveries.

Back training by myself now and I'm jogging recoveries again, and I do prefer it. It works best for me, it feels like a complete workout.

As for the physiological benefits of either, I'd imagine there's very little difference. More important that you stay moving during recoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yeah, I'm not sure there's more than a marginal difference between jogging and walking your recs.

For me it depends on the intensity. This mornings 200s I jogged 400m. For mile reps I may walk a little, especially towards the end of them.

The most important thing is the recovery itself. Using the HRM for recoveries is handy.

I'll do that for strides, or hill sprints.

As soon as the HR drops <100 I'll go again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely it depends on the purpose of the session? Not all interval workouts are the same, sometimes you will want full recovery, other times not full recovery.

You might jog recoveries if you are doing 10K pace reps, but need more walk recovery if you are doing faster paced intervals.

I don't think there's one right answer for every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Taxes

Let’s take V02 max workouts as an example.

Jogging rest is preferable over stationary rest, as it will take less time to achieve the point of V02 max in the following interval.

This means you will spend a greater amount of time training your V02 max with jogging rest as opposed to stationary rest even though the volume of the session is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haile

Thanks for the input guys. I feel a lot more comfortable jogging the recoveries. Stopping or walking throws me out of rhythm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

If you create the workout in Garmin Connect and download it to the watch it will count the number of intervals and display it on the watchface.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I wonder can anyone advice me on a daily/easy runner. I've on and off issues with my achilles so runners with harder heal cups like the New Balance 1080 cause problems. I love the New Balance Fuelcell Rebel v2. If anyone is familiar with the rebel would the New Balance 860 heal be similar to the rebel? Or more like the 1080s ?

The Nike Invincible is good for me because of all the padding but the Pegasus can causes heal or achilles issues too so I'm wondering how does the Infinity compare?

Any other recommendations welcome

Very random but can you bring gels onto a plane? 60ml per gel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah same as other liquids, maximum of 10 in a clear bag.

Or as many as you like in a checked bag.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

I read contrasting opinions online prior to a recent event. To avoid any potential hiccups at airport security, I checked in my bag which had the gels on the way over and then had it as carry on luggage on the way back.

Unsure if there's an official stance on them but I didn't want to start walking around looking for gels prior to race day.

Yeah, not wasting money checking in bags for 3 gels. I'll just pick some up at the expo if they take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Three gels will be fine, I brought 8 through last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Brought a handful of them through Dublin Airport security the other day. I had to fit them into the same plastic bag with my toiletries as you're only allowed one plastic bag with liquids per passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I had my gels (about 8) in a separate clear plastic bag. No issue at all. And if I'd had to ditch the bag of toiletries, so be it! You can buy new tootpaste on the other side, but gels are harder to find in the Duty Free. 😉

Anyone know where one might go to get an assessment of running form?

Any injuries I ever pick up are on my right side. In the last five years any injuries I've had - from a torn meniscus to an ankle sprain to glute/hip issues - they have always been on my right side.

Currently dealing with a calf injury which is threatening to ruin my DCM plans. Again, on the right side. Talked to the physio about it and she agrees it could be linked to running form and perhaps landing heavily or such on the right side. I've noticed more wear on the underside of my right runner (the softer alphaflys in particular) also.

Not part of a running club currently so just wondering if anyone would know of a coach or running instructor that might provide some sort of assessment of how I run?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Where are you based? I can recommend a guy in Cork that could be worth talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

I love the new balance more v3 for easy runs. Very like the Nike invincible. Easy/recovery shoe but not for speed sessions

• Advertisement

Hey Kellygirl, thanks for the thought, unfortunately in this case I'm based in Meath. Anyone around Dublin would do the trick either if someone has a reccomendation.

Advertisement