Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I cannot see Johnson even getting support from anyone outside the dopey Dories.

He is not just damaged goods, but destroyed his credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Lots of callers to LBC think he’d be a great choice. Never underestimate the stupidity and servility of the UK electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For what it's worth a few have come out already in support - Fabricant, Andrea Jenkyns, James Duddridge, Brendan Clarke-Smyth, Marco Longhi (whoever the fcuk that is). Nads is obviously a given.

If that snowballs in any way towards 30/40/50 then it becomes tough to keep him out of the contest and he suddenly looks viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Christy42

Which all but guarantees him victory. They need someone who can plough through the serious need for a GE, help them enrich their friends and convince tory voters to forget about the last few weeks. Boris Johnson is the man for that job. If you want someone to run a country you might be disappointed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The goat rodeo continues. I think Labour would have a field day if Johnson was re-elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Times Rupert Murdoch is calling it. Will be interesting to see who his other papers advocate for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭tanko

You might as well have flushed it down the toilet, the lunatics are running the asylum over there but even the Tories aren’t dumb enough to bring Boris back, (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does Liz get an honours list?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

After the massive walkout under Johnson, how could those Tories support him with a straight face?

He would need to find 100 MPs made up of the loyal useful idiots (Fabricant, Dorries, etc.) who don't care about being tarnished by him and unassuming backbenchers who haven't too publicly expressed themselves on the matter and would have plausable deniability regarding their previus support or lack thereof.

Truss' spell was a disaster but let's not forget how the Tories were lining up to resign from their positions under Johnson. Tory lifers might not care but floating voters should still remember and hold them accountable if they now do a u-turn (which people will have had enough of under Truss).

Johnson running would be interesting. I think there are enough people who would be glad to see him come back and see him as 'safe hands' after Truss. However, it would surely be a move that'd hammer home the fact that the Tories are only interested in power and that should be enough to keep floating voters away. It would surely do untold damage to the Tories.

I would love to see a general election called but I can see the Tories trying to hold on to power until the next one. They know they'll get hammered in an election tomorrow. They are just focused on damage limitation and trying to recover as much as possible in what's left of their term.

On the other hand, I'd almost like to see them stick it out because whoever controls the purse strings in the UK is going to be doing a thankless job for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If it was a straight up memberships vote Boris would undoubtedly win but with the announced rules requiring 100 MPs to nominate I dont see how boris even gets on the ballot hes pissed off too many MPs.

• Advertisement

Mordaunt seems to be the name consistently rising to the top. I think that others will pull out before it goes to the members. And there is be some level of anger across the members. I got a three month trial to the telegraph.co.uk, and the comments are entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 25,687 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lots of idiots on BBC also seem to think he was a "good leader who made mistakes and said sorry"

I think they are forgetting the absolutely tanked polls he left them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

C'mon let's be real here, it's not going to be Johnson - they're just after getting rid of him, after much, much controversy and endless infighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If it was the same rules as last time he would win in a landslide via the average tory party member voting overwhelming for him, however with the new rules he probably wont get a nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Boris is very charismatic, personable and great fun. That's partly how he got his landslide. Bizarre if they take him back but entirely possible, depending on who else wants the gig bad enough. Would Sunak at this stage, second choice and after a big screw up, I don't know? Who else wants it, knowing it could all blow up again very quickly... Answer: Boris!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Labour will be delighted if it's Boris or Mordaunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Stepping up to the Premiership is the proverbial poison chalice, because the incumbent will likely still be leading the Conservative party come the next GE, and the outcome of that one for them, is pretty much written already.

Add the unprecedented set of fast-coalescing crises on top of it, the spiralling and crystallising consequence of Johnson’s choice of Brexit first among those for the British economy, to say nothing of the cost of living crisis, budgetary check mates, crippling mortgage costs freshly piled on ahead for millions upon millions, (…)

A GE now, looks more of a blessing for the Tories every passing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For Boris Johnson, Lizz Truss was an absolute gift. He can come and say that his crimes were small and inconsequential, while Truss cost people thousands of pounds in mortgage interest payments etc

It's so easy to spin in his favour especially when your jury are the Tory backbenchers and Tory Party members who are not known for their critical thinking skills

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sure about that.

Boris would immediately be an easy target and another weak PM but the same would not be true of Mordaunt, who has no obvious weaknesses and no real baggage.

Mordaunt is the smart choice, IMO.

Boris would be a stupid pick, and I think Sunak is disliked too much by the Boris-wing of the Tories.

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be fair to the Tory backbench, and the Tory parliamentary party at large, they did not pick Liz Truss when Truss was the Boris candidate. Only about 30% of them picked her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,687 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The optics of revealing the next chapter of this horror show on Halloween are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was put back in to the Lords on a life peerage after retiring as an MP. Think that started the thing of PMs getting life peerages on retirement, which ran until Major declined his (allegedly).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This sounds very plausible and an accurate reflection of where the Tories are tonight:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How many red wall MP's might consider Boris as a way to save their seats in the next election ?

The Tory party really two parties. But there isn't a right wing candidate likely to win so , more popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Boris hits 50 MPs, 50 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

And Lord Shelburne, later the Marquess of Lansdowne (did his family own some property in Ballsbridge, perhaps?) was Irish. Birth name Petty. First Irish born prime minister of Britain.

Strangely absent from most Irish biographies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The practice used to be that a retiring MP was offered a peerage (in the days when they were all hereditary peerages) - usually an earldom, but Churchill was offered a dukedom. Anthony Eden, whose career as PM was brief and dismal, became Earl of Avon after his resignation in 1956.

By the time Eden's successor, Harold McMillan resigned in 1963 life peeraqes had been introduced, and it was bipartisan policy not to create new hereditary titles, except for members of the royal family. McMillan was duly offered a life peerage, which he declined. Thereafter retiring PMs were offered life peerages - Douglas-Hume, Wilson, Callaghan and Thatcher all accepted; Heath, Major, Blair are known to have been offered life peerages and turned them down. I do not know whether PMs from Brown onwards have even been offered them; the practice may have died out.

Thatcher tried to revive the practice of awarding hereditary peerages to former PMs, giving Harold McMillan an earldom in 1984 (which he accepted). (She also awarded viscountcies to Willie Whitelaw, a retired Home Secretary, and George Thomas, a retired Speaker, and a baronetcy - hereditary, but not a peerage - to her own husband Denis.) But no later PMs followed her example, and those are the last hereditary titles created in the UK, other than for members of the royal family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same as 2019. Hunt was the capable administrator, Johnson was Britain Trump. Britain Trump won and then led the country to nearly 200,000 preventable Covid deaths.

Mordaunt is a nobody and that offers both advantages and disadvantages. Johnson running in the next election would be the best outcome for Labour.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Tim Montgomerie (of Conservativehome website and is reckoned to know a bit about internal Conservative machinations) believes that Boris is already well on the way to 100 nominations and could be up to 140.

Rishi and Boris have been having peace talks apparently over the last few weeks.

So it's Boris as PM with Rishi as chancellor.

Two big advantages: 1. It's what the people voted for in 2019 2.Unites the party.

Easypeasy

Advertisement