Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should RTE show international sports that have nothing to do with Ireland.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem with cricket - and I say this as someone who has had a casual interest in the past - is the length of the game.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why wouldn't a national broadcaster show international sports? And not just any international sport - but literally the pinnacle of the more/most popular sports in the world.

By that logic, why report international news, why broadcast international entertainment, and so on? To do the reverse would be insular and the manner of somewhere like Belarus or North Korea, to use hyperbole; keep it local.

But interest IS relevance; you can't divorce the two, it becomes relevant by dint of there being a presumed, or actual audience who want to watch the thing. If the Champion's League wasn't such a huge draw, it wouldn't be shown. Same with other items like international news, international media and so on. People are interested in it.

It's not so simple as to say there should be More Domestic Sport; literally the biggest domestic sport in the country (notwithstanding the quibbling over participation numbers, clubs or whatnot) gets blanket national coverage - the GAA; though IIRC some of it left RTÉ? I can't remember.

And if anything, RTÉ used to show more international sport, it's only that they have slowly struggled to keep parity with the kind of blank cheques Sky, Virgin Media et al can sign to get the rights to show the bigger tournaments. If some weren't literally written into law as being "free to air" I daresay they'd have left RTÉ years ago.

I don't disagree with the theory; yes RTÉ should show more national sport & tournaments, and it's a similar discussion to that of women's sport. The usual types trotting out the 'aul "why cover women's sports? Nobody watches it". Why cover cricket, when 'nobody' watches it. It's a chicken and egg scenario; nobody watches it so it's not shown, but more might watch it if it was and thus cause more participation and interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,135 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't agree with your last paragraph. Like how many people follow cricket? It was the first item on RTE Sports after the News and I had a good chuckle about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

T20 games are over in a few hours. But even highlights would help the sport get exposure a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, but how much of the claender do they take up? Most of it's 1-5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

IMO no but they should have a sports show that covers highlights of Irish sports not covered LIVE by them, something like Sports Tonight or Sports Stadium, it would suit their news channel and their online offerings.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

I can't take anyone seriously who says Irish Dancing is a sport and horse racing isn't.....

Sorry I mean yes and they should also have a sports review show.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah I was thinking about that.

In the 1970s and 1980s there was a show called Sports Stadium that was a bit of everything.

Also, Top Ace - the handball show in the 1980s - is a good example of how a non-mainstream sport can get a decent audience on TV. I think part of what drove that was Americans coming to Ireland to participate in local competitions, plus a very funky theme tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Grand. All about perception in my view.

But the fact is that Irish Dancing at its highest level is an incredibly hard work out, you need to be really fit.

And my other point on Irish dancing is that - I think - it gets very little attention, because its an activity that is mainly for girls. Of course, you will say that this is not true, and that some of your best friends are Irish dancers etc....

My point on horse racing is that it doesnt exist without gambling. Its content for gambling- in my view.

• Advertisement

Dancing is an art form, and therelin lies the problem, physically demanding though it may be. It's a bit like saying ballet or contact improv are sports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If fitness and physical prowess are the benchmarks to consider something as a sport, then "Flying a Fighter Jet" would become a Sport.

In actual fact this is also something RTÉ should support. They used to show festival ballet programmes way back when, imported but they could easily provide something for dancers around the country.

@Tombo2001 I think it should be part of their Arts and Culture programming.

Does their daytime show have any live music or dance, again Live at Three and Open House both had some live music at times.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

Advertisement