Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nunez is like a giant Vardy, His movement & pace are amazing ,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Apart from playing a full 1 minute in the charity shield, that was his first appearance of the season. He's coming off the back of a couple of injuries back to back. I don't think last night's game is the one to criticize him on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Everyone has a set amount of playable mins defined,based on general fitness, nothing is risked unnecessarily.. long term strategy for every season,long term injuries screw us..

Jones..not up to it,same with ox,same with nabby,all need replacing

Trent is over thinking it now , he was never as bad at defending as he is now,

We've played PSG,Madrid, Bayern over the years and he's been fine, its just a bit of a mental dip

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Man’s got sauce. You don’t force the sauce. Sauce is something, you either have it or you don’t. Can you ask a egg, “How do you have your yolk?” You can’t. Either man’s got the yolk, or man ain’t got the yolk. Man’s got the yolk. Can you ask Heinz how you make ketchup? You can’t. Can you ask Heinz how you make baked beans? You can’t. Can you ask Heinz, “How does man make mayonnaise?” You can’t. Can you ask them about how you make salad cream? You can’t. How you gonna ask a man with sauce, how you get sauce? Either man’s got sauce, or man’s got no sauce....

And Nunez got the sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A new challenger appears.

How will Toby respond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Milner looks like a man reborn, been immense in the last 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,955 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Still don't really understand how to access this thread consistently (and it's been years at this point) but I've missed getting mad about things that don't matter.

Anyway Nunez is the dumbest, most gifted player we've had in a long time, I love him. The brain of Alberto Moreno in the body of Fernando Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

We mightn't have a title race this year but this battle of bullsh1t could keep us going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

This new pretender will have to earn a title shot at Toby, you can't just waltz in with one post and expect to take on the GOAT

Shame on me for doubting him but I'm pleasantly surprised Toby is still performing

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unfortunately TAA was still defensively a disaster, he just got away with it last night (more than once). They should have scored a couple of goals directly from his bad decisions or mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

all I'm saying is Nunez does have the "wow" factor or "the sauce" as we say here in Letterkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

3 games in 6 days. Injury hit squad. Important thing now is just to pick up wins however we can before the World Cup. Unlikely to get 3 great performances in 6 days. Just get the wins and move on and hopefully we'll be up and around the CL spots by the time of the WC break. And then hopefully get some players back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Glorious

No truer word was sung by the West Ham fans and the timing of them trying to taunt the Liverpool fans by singing that.

One thing that impresses me about Nunez is that he is always involved. Doesn't go missing. He creates chaos and has an eye for goal. Seems like he is not shy of working hard either.

Last night he had 3 shots on target in the first half alone, and hit the bar too. And obviously scored. Overall, he had 6 shots in less than an hour. He only played 18 mins against Man City, but still had enough time for 2 shots, and really should have had an assist too. He caused mayhem to City, but without the end product.

The fact he is so involved, and in the key areas leads me to suggest that he will do well once he settles properly. But being so involved is certainly encouraging to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I just looked back at the match as I only see bits and pieces last night (I was over with UTD supporting in-laws unfortunately)! Positive things I noticed from my perspective;

The 1st half was as comfortable and controlled as we have been in a long time, we weren't hectic but when we were winning week in week out we weren't always hectic and just done enough to get it done a lot of weekends. That first half reminded me a lot of that period. Nunez again looked promising, took his goal really well and had chances to double his account. Carvaliho looks very tidy, he took a pass on 4 different occasions in the 1st half where he had his back to goal and was surrounded, each occasion he managed to hold onto the ball, turn and got running towards the goal. He drew 2 frees and realised Salah with other 2 from those plays. Only thing I'd have with him is that he's still very lightweight and I'm not actually sure where he could play long term. Henderson and Thiago were also very good.

Some negatives; Fab looked dreadful when he came on again and his form is beginning to become a worry! Also once Thiago goes off in games we seem to lose all composure, I know he's a world class ball player and we wouldn't have anyone who can do his job to the same standard but the drop off is stark. Trent seems to have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in his defensive abilities. Not a major issue but we need to find a way to get Salah and Nunez playing more centrally together, I noticed in the first half Salah was hugging the right side again and although he moved more centrally once Nunez went off, that's not ideal when we want the two of them playing in the same side and both looking dangerous.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind seeing Salah play off Nunez in a 442 so he has a bit of freedom to roam around and not be stuck out on the wing

Only problem is who plays RM? Defending in a 442 like we have been I'm not sure anyone else can give the required pace, quick feet, and defensive effort that Salah has in that position. It wouldn't be as big a concern if we still had Diaz providing all that on the left, but with Diaz injured and Salah playing central I can't see us having any threat from wide.

Trent at RM makes the most sense to me but I think we're all a little to quick to suggest "play Trent somewhere else and all our problems will go away" solutions 😁

Post edited by Osmosis Jones on

Klopp spoke about it last night and looked excited by it but he did say we would need a formation o make it work ,

I honestly don't think it will happen untill one of Diaz & Jota are back, We need at least one of our winger to have pace & at the moment Mo is the only one we have,

Id imagine once most of the lads are back fit we will see Nunez as the 9 with Mo roaming,

Yeah I think the injuries to Diaz and Jota don't help with setting up a 442 and also limits what other formations they could use.

Ox & Elliott can both play right however neither is ideal as an out and out winger.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think ultimately Salah at RM might not be the best for him, but it's best for the team. He's still really good out there and it allows everyone else to play where they're best.

I'd rather Salah out wide and Firmino in the middle than Salah central and Firmino getting dropped for Ox/Elliott at RM.

In saying all that I'm not sure how much we'll even use this 442 with Diaz and Jota out now, we can still shift to it in defence but in possession I think we'll be seeing a lot more of our 433 again.

Edit: But then again we're still not very good right now so who knows what comes next, we could line up with something we've never seen before on Saturday.

I think we will see the 4231 figure a good bit over the course of the season as well once Jota & Diaz return in the New Year.

This whole World Cup in the middle of the season is a pain however it is also a bit of a blessing as it gives both those player time to recover and actually not miss that many games

It will also be interesting to see will they sign a player in January to give the squad a boost like Diaz did last season. If they do that may indicate where the long term formation might be heading.

Even though they'll likely travel and maybe play in it I really hope the World Cup is an opportunity for Trent and Fabinho to clear their heads. Trent's problems this season are obvious, every mistake is a news story, but Fabinho has looked like he can barely move for the majority of this season. He looks leggy when he comes on as a 70th minute substitute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mo is probably the most suited to that RW role of the available players - but I think we lose a lot more by not having him in more dangerous positions than we gain from him being on the right.

I'd rather a slightly more makeshift RW like Elliott, or Trent, or even Milner, over sacrificing Mo's freedom to cause trouble. I don't even think Elliott is that much of a step down out there though, was excellent there against City, and has tonnes of successful playing time there with Blackburn.

I wonder did they see this coming with Fab he has basically been the key to everything Klopp wanted from his midfield for the last 4 years and playing at such an intense level that even a 10% drop off on the levels he has played at in that time is very noticeable.

The club runs as much off stats levels and intensity zones that they may have seen this drop off coming.

200+ games for club and country in 4 seasons will take it's toll playing at such a high intense level.

There was a reason Tchouameni was the main target last summer fresher legs in midfield in Fab's role to lift the pressure off Fab so he doesn't burn out.

• Advertisement

Its very possible

Id also say being a 6 he had two players with legs either side of him so was never exposed , I a 2 man midfield he has more space around him,

Didn't Naby play basically as wide right in our 5-0 trashing of United at there place last season, He was brilliant in that game so also an option if he can keep fit ,

I wonder could a 442 diamond work.

Bobby dropping back deeper if needed to make it 4132

---------------------------------Ali------------------------------

TAA-------------Matip--------------------VVD------------Robbo

-------------------------------Fab-------------------------------

--------Hendo--------------------------------------Thiago-----

----------------------------Bobby-------------------------------

-----------------Salah--------------------Nunez----------------

Something that's really excited me this season is seeing how well Elliott and Carvalho can receive the ball on the turn, it's so nice have players in midfield whose first touch can be progressive and contribute to a move rather than just slowing us down.

Yeah, I get the feeling both are being approached the same way Klopp worked with Gini - bringing in someone good on the turn who had played primarily as an attacker before , and using that highly-technical quick-reaction quality in a deeper position.

Carvalho's partnership with Mitrovic last season in the Championship could be a look at whats to come in the next few years with how he could partner with Nunez.

That partnership actully reminded me a lot of Naby & Werner at Red Bull Germany and kind of what we hoped we would get from Naby when he was signed.

I could actually see Naby go back to Red Bull and rekindle that partnership with Werner.

FSG looking to expand Anfield even more once the Anfield Road stand is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought they couldn't do anymore without paying for railway and other transport access upgrades?

In the article itself it doesn't actually say expansion, it just says they might look at further ancillary development inside Anfield.

So I would guess that is more pointing towards improved facilities, and improved stadium match-day experience stuff, rather than necessarily boosting the numbers further.

Could they expand or have a redevelopment of the Kop with safe standing and build it up instead of back like the yellow wall in Dortmund

• Advertisement

I believe there are plans to implement more railed seats (sort of safe standing) in the long term - this won't add any capacity though, as railed seats/safe standing use the same space per person as regular seating.

Wonder what sort of options there are to make the incline steeper alright... if there's any club that's going to be erring on the side of caution on that sort of stuff it's Liverpool though.

Nunez broke the record for the fastest recorded speed of a premier league player last night

The previous fastest man was Machester City's Kyle Walker who clocked a 37.802 km/h (23.49 mph) against Chelsea in June 2020.

Nunez by comparison hit an outrageous top speed of 38 km/h (23.61 mph) yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Gerrard's days are numbered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

That's crazy- never known him to be a speedster. He looked relatively slow in his first few games. This guys could grow to be something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Regarding Salahs position, I don't get all the negatives about him playing out on the right because if I think of a trademark Mo goal, it's him coming from the right and curling a beauty into the top left corner or the two goals for instance against Spurs and City were he dribbled past a couple of defenders on the right wing corner area and still managed to score with his right foot iirc.

Yes he's also scored some crackers through the middle but aren't they kind of one on one counter attacks.

The position he's been in this season on the right is one he's never been in before.

He was always a right wing forward, who sometimes would pick it up out by the touchline, but very often picked it up only just wide of the box. This season - prior to the match against Rangers - he was playing in an orthadox right winger position, deeper, and wider, than he'd ever been before. And where he'd previously always had loads of license to move around, for the bulk of this season he seemed to have been told to stay wide, like a winger instead of a forward. (There's some suggestion from things Klopp said that this is Mo himself choosing to stay further wide, rather than being told to, but who knows..)

With those goals you're talking about, his starting position - while wide - was often a lot narrower, and closer to the box... when he's trying to do the same thing from closer to the halfway line and touchline, he's got far too great a distance to cover before he even gets to the danger area, and so has far more players in his way because they have time to organise. He's tried that run plenty this year, and it's just never coming off, because it's simply way harder than where he'd been doing it from before.

When people say they want him more central, it doesn't necessarily mean dead centre forward, but rather simply more central than that ultra-wide position he's been in. 5 meters higher up the pitch, and 5 meters further inside from the touchline makes all the difference. If he went back to the RWF position he's played most of the past 5 years in, i'd be happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Gerrard gone!

Hard to see where he goes from here really...

A championship job is problem the right next step. This thing of jumping right into a premier league job just cause he's Steven Gerrard is a bit mad. There should be progression... now, given how fantastically well he did with Rangers, I get the urge from Villa to fast track him, but really he could do with a good level Championship team out of the limelight, like Rooney did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So he's being too literall to the instructions he's been given by the coaching staff like the three in midfield the way they stay way too compact and central and don't get forward enough.

So is it down to Klopp to allow Salah get that bit more central or is he being asked to cover Trent that little bit more because the more I think about it now, he was at stages just hugging the line.

Advertisement