Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxed in the face

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

This isn't even something to question OP.

Walk away now, and tell your side of the story to some key people who know you/ you both very well.

Get ahead of any toxic **** story that may come out of the blue after you end this.

consider this a hard lesson learned. My mate is divorcing a woman he's been married to for ten years. It started out as her nagging him incessantly and ended with her throwing plates/ punches at him.

Whether or not you stay friends is your choice, but the relationship in whatever guise will never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

As others said, take photos.

This could turn nasty quickly.

"he came at me, I was just defending myself" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I hate to say it, but get your side out first.

Also when this goes further south, and it will, have your cv ready.

It's crap, but more than likely you won't have many on your side if you breakup. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Sorry for all the grief you got. Once is once too much.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

My brother was going out with "a really nice girl" a few years ago. Bit moody occasionally but nothing particularly out of the ordinary. New years eve/night he was lying on the couch about 2am and a generic "Happy New year" text came through on his phone from an ex gf of about 3 years. Clearly a "send to all" type text.

He didn't even see the text. His phone was on the table. His gf saw the text and threw the phone at his head saying "Wtf is this". Next morning he moved out and never went back.

I suggest you have a similar response. She might beg and plead and apologise, but leaving will be the best lesson you ever teach her. She might realise not to behave like that in her next relationship.

Don't stay with her out of embarrassment, or awkwardness of having to explain to work. I assume you have a mark on your face. Are work colleagues not asking what happened? If I were you I'd have a word with your direct supervisor, tell them you were assaulted by a member of staff and you will not be travelling for the away trip. Let them sort it out whatever way they wish. But do not go away with her just to save face, or her embarrassment. She's proves she doesn't actually care.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Doesn't matter if it's drink or not involved, abusive people are abusive people. My demeanour doesn't change if I'm sober or drunk.

If the shoe was on the other foot and you clattered her everyone would tell her run for the hills. This should be no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Don’t mention that you were assaulted by a member of staff. By all means end the relationship if you want, but don’t make this a work issue. No need to escalate matters if you just want to wrap this up.

Concur. You can't go away.

Business and pleasure is not my thing, but it is was it is now.

Get your word in immediately and advice above is correct in my mind. No extra days or her not going on the trip.

It's not cool to say the least. I'm way bigger than my future wife and I'd feel guilty even giving her a cross look and she'd never dream of assaulting me. And it was assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

My experience.....many years ago, i started seeing a girl I worked with.....after a night out we headed back to her place.

She was fairly new to Dublin while I had lived in Dublin for years.

She was more drunk than I was.

We got taxi from town to her place in kilmainham.

For some reason, she convinced herself that the taxi drove up the quays on the northside of the river. I remember telling her that we didn't (and couldn't have) and that we travelled up on the southside of the river.

At the front door, she turned around and slapped me fully force across the face.

I was in complete shock.....She was apologetic.

I should have walked away but I really liked her.

I always put her first but I was way down on her list.

We eventually broke up 3.5 years later. She cheated on me multiple times, was a compulsive liar, selfish and owed me €10k which was an struggle to get back.

I wish to God that I had walked away.

I hope you don't take offence micar, but don't be eejits like us. violence neveris never a solution. It's not complicated. Being a punching bag is not cool, to say the least.

It's your life. Do what you want. You're already in bad territory. Talk to your line manger and/or hr. Get your story out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 urgentcell

I'm so sorry you're in this situation.

I like the others think you should walk and fast. I would take an image of the photo and confide in someone with digital proof of this conversation conversation.

Then I'd end the relationship in a public space, like a coffee shop so you can go home easily and there can be no physical altercation or misunderstandings.

She absolutely remembers what she did. Even if she didn't she's still blaming you for winding her up, as if there is ever an excuse for punching

Also of the punching thing isn't enough for you to walk away maybe the drinking should be. She drank so much that she can't "remember" a violent assault she committed.

Three major red flags:

1. Violence

2. Alcoholic

3. Victim blaming

You'll have to mange work somehow, that is pretty tricky situation for you. I'd simply inform work that the relationship has ended and try stay away from her if you can.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Alas, statistically people usually don't walk away after the 1st/2nd/3rd ect hiding from their partner. OP don't get caught in this spiral, you'll end up a broken man. There's life after domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

That's a shockingly bad idea. Do not back this lunatic into a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Absolutely dealbreaker for me.

There's no excuse for it, alcohol or not. Many of us can have a drink and not resort to attacking people. I hope by this stage you've shown her the door OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I always use this analogy about people using being drunk as an excuse for their behaviour, especially cheating.

If they say they were so drunk they didn't know what they were doing/don't remember..I ask, you know the difference between your sexual orientation when drunk, ie. I'm a woman who likes men, I'd never in my most drunken state have a physical encounter with a woman.

My point is..even drunk, people know a right from wrong action. They just have the short sightedness not to care about the consequences.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4 70swally

Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate it.

I suppose the best way to describe my mind set at the moment is stunned, we're both in our 40s so marriage, kids etc wasnt high on either of our agendas.

But I am still in a state of shock about all of this, I have never been in a relationship where anyone resorted to hitting. I always said to myself that if I ever felt such fustration with some that I would hit them then I would just walk away.

She has been in contact and is exteremly contrite about the whole situation, taking the blame and saying it was inexcusable. I havent answered, I suppose because I am still shocked.

Lots of food for thought here folks, and certainly confirms my initial thoughts. Again thank you all for the comments it is quite reassuring.

I just believe a subtle mention will cover their behind to a certain extent. They won't win. As I said previously, no harm polishing up the auld cv.

She has been in contact and is exteremly contrite about the whole situation, taking the blame and saying it was inexcusable.

So is she now admitting that she does in fact remember? And knew exactly what she was doing?

She said it herself, it's inexcusable. Do don't make or take any excuses. It'll be a good lesson for her.

I agree and disagree with your post.

It's good they sent the message (save it op), but they have learned no lesson. They're auld and bould enough at this stage. I imagine it's not their first rodeo.

They assaulted you. Plain and simple. Next time could be worse

You need to redefine your boundaries and your dealbreakers. Get out now. She punched you now and drunk or sober there is no condoning this. Next time it could be a knife or a broken bottle she attacks you with. If you stay with her you are rewarding this behaviour and she'll think that you are a walkover. Its tough to walk from a relationship you've invested time in, but when violence enters a relationship, its a major red flag.

She'll do it again. It could be worse this time. you might have to defend yourself and what if she gets a scrape and you come out unscathed?? She then can play the victim and there is no doubting that this girl is dangerous. Keep a record of her messages if i were you. Finish the relationship and dont engage with her further. Change work hours if you need to and confide in a close colleague who you trust

Get out of psychoville now. If you dont, you'll show you have no boundaries whatsover so its open season for her and she can blame it all on drink. When you are so deep in the relationship, she wont even need drink as an excuse. 3.5 billion women in the world. Most wont assault you violently id imagine (although there is a growing amount of lunatics out there)

• Advertisement

Sadly its the reality of the situation. He wont have many on his side but weathering the storm is better than staying in the belly of the beast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I was in a violent relationship- of course the other person was (after a period of time) all apologetic and excuse used was drink and it won’t happen again…it just got worse and worse and now I know to run at the first hint of it (though thankfully most people aren’t violent so I haven’t encountered it again).

Its only a 6 month relationship! Why are you considering staying - please don’t stay on it because you are lonely or think nobody else will have you! She’s full of **** and knows FULL well nobody will put up with that crap which is why she is laying it on thick now. Don’t be the eejit that falls for it and lives a life of misery because you are dragged into hers. You don’t share a house or kids yet - get out while it’s easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

She's contrite. Whoopee-doo🙄 This was almost inevitable and if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't put great value on it. When you mentioned that you were both in your 40s, my first thought was "Has she done this before?". It's a question you'll probably never get an answer to but I'm sure it has crossed your mind. Even if you choose to resume the relationship, this attack will always be there in the background. Ask yourself this: do you foresee yourself changing your behaviour to avoid something like this happening again? Will you be taking off your glasses so you don't get another whack when you're in bed? Will you be careful not to text an ex if you think she'll spot a reply coming in? How do you feel about being around her when she has drink taken? Do you think something like this will happen again? If you answer "yes" to any of these, I think you know what to do.

Post edited by Tork on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It's good that you've created space with her.

She's apologising now she realises how seriously you're taking it, not because she's at all sorry. Just remember how she behaved the next morning - that's the truth of it. She ignored how you felt then. Tried to make light of it and in fact tried to make you feel like it was your own fault.

Whatever the good points in the relationship you might be trying to convince yourself exist - it's not worth it. It's really really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Block all forms of contact with her OP and run for the hills. Do it now and don't give it another second to consider.

It's over, done. Forget about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

keep a dossier OP

write down every time she shouts/threatens/assaults/attempts to assault you again

she knows right well what she did - likely she has a few texts etc, that could be ambiguously interpreted - painting you as the bad guy

that's how that calibre roll

kick her to t'kerb OP

or go out with her again, in public, with copious amounts of booze taken by both parties - if she tries to wind you up, ignore her in the moment; later, when she tries it again, just laugh or smirk back at her - cue the mayhem; won't be no one in any doubt as to who the unhinged party is

likely she's telling her equally sick friends about all she can do to you - and get away with it - and her and her crew, meanwhile, ensure the blame gets latched on to you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Ignore the whole second part of this post, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭vinniem

Hi OP, really feel your torment. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and all I can say is she will do it again and again!! She is an unstable individual. My advise is run, but whatever you do.. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OP, it's very, very rare for a thread in this forum to achieve consensus, but that's what you have here - literally all the advice has been for you to leave the relationship immediately. Yet it sounds like you're reluctant to make that decision for some reason.

Please, please, please walk away today. I can 100% guarantee you that this isn't a once-off.

• Advertisement

Tork makes an excellent point. Somebody doesn't just become the kind of person who full on punches someone in the face, for a fairly innocuous reason, in their 40s. She's been here before. I'm in my 40s I'd be horrified at the thoughts of punching anyone. Let alone a person I'm supposed to be happily in a relationship with.

She deals with things she doesn't like by lashing out. She's let you know that now. It will happen again.

I would continue to ignore her messages. Silence is a sufficient response. It's not like she's going to be left wondering what happened and why you're ignoring her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement