Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Bass the Chicken licken king - you need to calm down, turn off the laptop and take it easy. You are on this thread day and night, It's like you don't have anything else going on in your life. By the sounds of it, you already own a house or two.. Like why would you be on here posting nonstop and getting aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I not getting aggressive I am mearly pointing out the inconsistency of what many are posting

Could we have a crash yes we could but we would need a lot more imbalance in the market for it to come to fruition.

Slava Ukrainii

I can fell your hypertension radiating from across the internet. I can see you're passionate about this topic, but a man with two or more houses, the last thing he wants is an early grave due to hypertension arguing with people on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hypertension from the farming is enough to send him to the grave let alone boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

plenty of people predicting hurt and pain and massive recessions and all sorts of grim outcomes , I don’t see anyone telling them to cheer up but someone who disagrees is going to have a heart attack ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

When was the last time you saw an eviction ban in Ireland and the government offering money to stop companies going to the wall, not to mention hundreds of euro to everyone to pay their energy bills? Good times ahead eh?

If I told you I could feel your hypertension from here would that be a useful response to your gloomy outlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dalkey David doesn't have to worry about the imperfect like those in Donegal or Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is no hypertension actually I never even get stressed. I was born naked and with nothing. In the end I will be buried with nothing.

In-between what I have done or not done is immaterial. I passed my sixtieth birthday this year. I was send off into this wild wonderful world at 15 years of age with an education and playing pocket billiards

Anything I have in this life I earned. I am retired with four years in the New year. Well actually semi retired. Has God been good to me yes. Have I failings, yes. Am I modest No.

Do I suffer from hypertension, I doubt it says Crocker. Do I spend too long on Boards, undoubtedly.

I am open about where I am in life others are not. Tell me about yourself. Be open. Do you suffer from hypertension. Are you worried.

There are people wealthier than me, people better off. Are they happy. I have a sense of happiness.

DO YOU

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

My use of the term there is to be derisive. You already know my main argument is that "this time" is actually the "same time" as pre-08 with lessons not learned.

And, unfortunately, I think Joe Taxpayer will be told why their taxes need to be raised instead of cut (taxes should be cut right now on incomes and increased on wealth as we hit a spending shock in the economy) and I think they will be told that a lot of the institutionals are actually pension funds and these are therefore Mary and John's pensions that are at risk so it is for the common good to bail out the property market blah blah. I wouldn't be surprised if in fact this has already been the justification for some of the ridiculously institutional favouring policies like 25 year bailouts, I mean 25 year social housing leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The lack of supply issue will never be solved here now. It has run too far ahead of us. There is neither the money, nor the ability to solve it at this point. They will always be playing catchup.

Sounds like you are content with your life and have worked hard. All I was trying to say there is more to life than spending 24x7 on boards spitting feathers. We all disagree with someone and it is good to have a nice debate, but I wouldn't be loosing sleep over it! sure vlad could nuke us tomorrow and none of this would matter.

As for me, I had a nice night sleep. Unlike someone else who was up at 2am. Very content with my life, other than having to turn up to work today. But it is Friday!

Post edited by drogon. on

All I am saying is there no point spitting feathers and loosing sleep over it. Have an argument/debate, but no need to turn into a red tomato. We can all gauge the posters mood based on how they are writing.

As for your “predicting hurt and pain”, do you believe that Ireland will never go into recession ever again ? I personally believe in the boom and bust cycle, we may have one tomorrow, next year or 5 years from now, we just don’t know. I also believe each recession is different and the next one could not even affect the property market. Nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The government quite literally just cut taxes on income

Looks to me that at the end of the day all Bass is doing is pointing out that if there is a crash to come it will be for different reasons than the last one. Personally, I think he is right. I dont get the attacking and winding up of people for being up at 2am etc. Seems to be a bit personal there.

Ah but thats the common retort to someone that disagrees with you, why are you so stressed, chill out, its passive aggressive and i didnt see any more stress in Bass's posts than anyone elses. Maybe i misunderstood you.

Sure Ireland will go into recession again, but i have been reading the same stuff from the same, or similar, posters for years now, it starts to wear a bit, im generally a sunny side up sort of fella and whatever comes ill work my way through it but the hyperbolic the world is going to end posts do annoy me a bit if im honest. The world wont end and if there is a recession it too will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You maybe right but the demand side may dissipate, I can see a swarth of people leaving college over the next decade not staying in the country. The powers that be have more or less given them the 2 finger salute with regards to being housed here either by renting or buying. Why would you stay here , your taxed at such a high rate and at such a low point, every thing you buy and do almost incurs more tax and we have a nation of gougers who will up prices all the time blaming external factors and forget to bring them back down when the external forces are gone. So instead of the supply side up-ticking the demand may drop off a cliff in the next decade. We have sold our kids futures along with the idea of having any kind of stable public services to vulture funds, REITS, Welfare, Bankers. the construction industry, Refugees and to the public sector pay and pensions. The average Joe is last in the list. The spending this country is doing and has been doing over the last 5/6 years is based on an annual repeat performance of MNCs corpo tax take and if one of two of the big guys find a sweeter deal than ours then we may all jump on a plane. Anyone thinking we are not going to see a recession in this country is bonkers we are too open an economy not to feel it.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's not true. A sharp recession that impacts the portable companies that heavily rely on imported labour could result in a sudden and large increase in supply.

The growth in population has been largely inorganic. It has resulted in stress on infrastructure which is a direct result of a focus on only growing job numbers and not expanding infrastructure to match.

What was easy giveth is easy taketh away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

"Not only do we need more houses, we need them to come down in price! More houses at higher prices, what a bleak thought."

Yes, I think prices will rise well beyond the modest amount politicians are predicting. However at the same time there is a desperate need for new units in the market which, when built, will slow down price rises. However this slowing down is a secondary effect of increased building and will take a few years to kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ah you mean you’re buying a starter home, like all those guys in the early 2000s who got trapped in negative equity and had to rent them out, and only after 16 years have prices turned around that they can sell and exit negative equity, creating the rental crisis, you’re doing what those guys are doing?

(this is the very reason people don’t want negative equity, no one knows when they buy a house if it’s their forever home, some are more obviously not than others, but negative equity traps people in their houses, so your negative equity issue is THE NEGATIVE ISSUE)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

purely unscientific question, is anyone here living near what would have been classed as a 'ghost estate' after the last crash?

has it been completed since?

I was driving the other day, (north cork) and it occured to me that there wasnt any in my locality, indeed the only one I remember passing in recent times is the one on the right hand side between Firies and Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

But the houses won't be built unless the prices are higher.

It's a paradox. More supply = lower prices. But also unless prices go up, there won't be more supply.

That's what FFG are telling us now as building is not profitable apparantly.

Yes, can't increase the rate of building without in the short term raising prices. Whatever benefit from that increased supply comes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MoxoM

There is no softening house prices.

you might see a slight dip the odd time but it won’t last Unless we start building up then we have reached a plateau on supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

The more supply, the more demand will come from abroad. We need a recession badly.

That is a good point. However, demand is coming from abroad regardless of available accommodation with people cramming into bunk beds in a shared room. Half of a double bed with a stranger in the other half has also been advertised to rent in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They are still expected to compete with corporate landlords & the government for the same meagre bit of artificially limited through zoning laws housing stock. The whole system is gone silly, can we get back the 70's and 80s where you could buy a house for 10k and be done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

A crisis provides a lot of opportunity if you have money. Wealthier people also have easier access to credit and can use other investments as collateral. The last crash was the best thing that ever happened me from a financial point of view.

• Advertisement

But it is true. All of these companies are not going to shut up shop. Even if they do, most of the employees are not going to leave the country and will need somewhere to live If the apocalypse happened and they all emigrated there is still an endless supply of people already looking for somewhere to live. And more arriving every day.

I know people like to play up the spectre of mass emigration but it is never as high as you think it will be. about 50% of my class emigrated (including myself) in the 80s when we finished school. 95% of us were back within a year or two. Things arent always rosey over the hedge when you get there.

There are just not enough houses in Ireland. The only place money is going to come to build them is the middle income tax payer. You cant get much more blood from that stone. Then you need people to build them. And you need to build them at an astonishing rate to catch up now. Never gonna happen. There was a time when you could have caught up, but that has long passed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement