Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

there is nothing legally wrong with having consensual intercourse with a 17 yr old.

There can be. Depending on the relationship between the parties. A general point. Not making any specific reference to this issue or any others

Section 3A as inserted by the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017

Consent is not a defence under S3A but other ones are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A child legally but not a crime to get up to consensual sexual shennanigans with a child of 17. That's if the shennanigans were consensual because we've no way of knowing that for sure at the moment.

I actually don't know who to believe in this case. I thought it was interesting that only some of the accusations against McDermott were withdrawn in the solicitor's letter. If I was McDermott, I would have wanted everything withdrawn but that didn't happen.

Then you have to take the credibility of the girl into question. She admitted not telling the truth about being underage so that's her credibility blown out of the water. But just because she isn't credible, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of her accusations are false. Like I said, I don't know who to believe. It's a clusterfcuk with both of them coming out of this damaged.

I can't see it making it into court though. If it goes to court and is defended by Twitter, I think McDermott won't come out of it as well as he thinks he will even if he wins his case. If he loses his case, he's destroyed. It's risky for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'll reiterate. The guy has done nothing illegal.

However he was the Me too fanboy. The woke cheerleader who hitched his wagon to that paticular fad. It was exactly this type of behaviour that he and his ilk condemed and screamed blue murder about. Men using their positions of influence to manipulate.

The lad shouldnt have been dragged through the media like this and i feel sorry for him. But he could have issued a statement to really put to bed the whispers and insinuations doing the rounds. Id think it wouldnt make for great reading on his part though.

If he wants to lecture us all again about toxic masculinity and that shite he has a bit of explaining to do

This would he different if he hadnt of created that profile for himself.

Best of luck to him but it would be a sad day if he was ever given air time on a national broadcaster again without some clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Couldn’t take her to the boozer, though, she can’t, legally, be served.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's not a scenario, he literally picked her up at the school gates.

• Advertisement

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ffs.

17 is a child.

There's no ifs, buts or maybes or 'in the context of' about it.

A 17 year old is a child. End of.

Stop trying to normalise 27 year old people having physical relationships with what are children.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

More nonsense.

17 year olds are not children in this instance. They are young persons. Legal jargon doesn’t change that. We all know the “legal” definition of a child in Ireland.

Put your morality dictionary away and stop trying to label males as creeps and pervs because they can be attracted to females.

Nobody is trying to normalise anything, because there is nothing to normalise.

There is nothing weird, unnatural, creepy about males in their 20s being attracted to 17 year old females.

answer a simple question: is there something wrong with a male in his 20s being attracted to a 17 year old female? Yes or no? And maybe try answer this time.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That's at odds with the age of consent. Are children having sex with each other ? It maybe off but it's nothing illegal. Would we be having issues with 80 year-old men or women Marrying say 20 year-olds. Former being alive multiples of the 20 year-olds being alive. Where is the line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok, lets put this to bed for good, no pun intended.

17 is the age of consent. A 17 year old may consent to sex with any person of any gender also above the age of 17. 28 or 49 or 87. It doesn't matter if you don't like the thought of it, its the law.

Yes, Tusla considers anyone under age 18, ie a maximum of 17, a child. And if they felt there was a possible case of sexual assault or exploitation of a 17 year old, they would assist them as a child in need, but not purely on an issue of consent. In other words, if a 17 year old individual gave clear and uncoerced testimony that there was consensual sexual contact, Tusla would walk away.

The 'proximity of age' defence, in cases of sexual abuse allegations, only affects the window of ages down to 15.

So, once there is clear consent and any other issues of concern notwithstanding, then:

A 15 year old may have sex with someone aged 15,16 or 17. But no older.

A 16 year old may have sex with someone aged 15,16,17,or 18. But no older.

A 17 year old may have sex with someone aged 15,16,17,18 or any age at all.

There are no circumstances where a person of 14 years old or younger can consent to any sexual activity whatsoever. That is statutory rape.

So yes, a 17 year old is a child. But a 17 year old also gains the legal standing of sexual consent. With anyone they freely want.

Would it be easier to end legal childhood at the turn of 17, or alternatively to raise the age of sexual consent to 18 and make things nice and tidy?

Probably, but it won't happen, because it is a fact of life that young people begin inheriting certain rights as they move through late adolescence, drinking smoking, driving, sex, marriage, become a business director etc at age 16,17,18, 21 or whatever.

It may offend you to think of a man nearing 30 in a sexual relationship with a 17 year old and I can understand why concerns of exploitation would be raised, but once consent is confirmed then it a matter between yourself and your morals thereafter.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Didnt he get a taxi to pick her up after SCHOOL? He was in the taxi, if I was the taxi driver, id be thinking what is this creepy perv doing here?

im sure being famous in Ireland, he could have had many other women if he wanted, very strange that he goes for a 17 year old.

But consent and the law is the only issue. If a gay couple same age gap nothing illegal. Trans couple nothing illegal. If it was an older woman and a male nothing illegal. or are we suggesting otherwise ?

I didnt say anything was illegal. Im just pointing out hes a weirdo and wondering why he went for a 17 year old when he likely could have found a woman his own age or at least someone not still in school.

What about the others mentioned same situation creepy or not ? I wager there will be no answer.

Fair enough I respect an answer given. At least you are consistent. hats off to you.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

17 year old people are children in every instance.

Every. Single. One.

The Children's Act, what defines a child by law, is one that is under the age of 18.

Children are given certain freedoms under law, such as 17 year old children being able to consent to sex, or being able to consume alcohol in certain settings under certain circumstances. That does not make them adults.

That is the end of the matter here. There is no 'context' or 'instance' that makes a 17 year old child an adult.

The law allows for female body autonomy in this case. What age is the line for the age gap ? If the guy was 18 would be fine yes ? no significant psychological changes there between 17-18. What should the age of consent be ? If a 16 year-old here ran away to gretna green and got married would that be an issue ? With freedom of movement what's to stop someone at 14 going to Spain and consenting to sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah its legal to have sex with a 17 year old but someone that age still has a lot of growing up to do and its hard to see what someone 10 years older would have in common with a teenager.

I can't think of anyone I know in real life back when we were in our 20s who went looking to date someone who was still in school.

Just putting it out there so some of the lads saying there is nothing strange about it, would you be happy if a 27 year old was having it off with your 17 year old daughter?

While not illegal I certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

You can't go into a pub premises if you're not old enough to legally order a drink That's?That's news to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course 17 year olds have a lot of growing up to do. They do it through life experiences and making decisions, which is what she did when she entered in a relationship with him.

Unfortunately, she also decided that she was going to fabricate lies via social media. This decision has destroyed his life in a spectacular fashion because people lapped it up. This thread is an excellent example of it: people want him to suffer the consequences just because they don’t like him, and they prefer to side with an admitted liar. It’s fascinating to observe while also scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can I ask the “creepy” brigade. What exactly is creepy? Is it a 27 year old male, or males in their 20s finding a 17 year old attractive, or is it the pursuing of a 17 year old they find attractive?

Was Eoghan creepy for being attracted to her, or creepy for acting on this attraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Can you stop trying to police the sex life of a young woman please!!! Young women can do what they like! It's none of your business what they do!!

You'd hope a 27 year old man would stay away from a young 17 year old woman as we all know how young women act around well known older males, but he has no legal obligation to stay away from her.

Both.

What's he doing searching social media accounts of 16 year olds, that's creepy.

But in broad terms, most 27 year olds are working, paying rent, bills, responsibilities. Most 16 year olds are sleeping in a single bed with a one direction poster, you can't go the pub or a club, weekend away? Like what is the actual appeal of a relationship? The only thing is the power dynamic and a god complex.

Physical attraction? Sure some girls develop early, but the vast majority of 16 year old girls look 16, and that look is closer to child than adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You have to remember, McDermott may be 27 at the time, but he was incredibly immature, he tried to get words banned from a song!!!! He was a male feminist, we aren't talking about an intellectual here, he was a popular DJ on a poxy parochial radio station that young women listen to!! He used that position to virtue signal at every chance believing himself to be some kind of moral guide for people....a moron in other words!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Some do not though, as anyone who works in bars/nightclubs will confirm, and some 17 are more mature than others.

Whether you are morally outraged by this really is a personal concern, one not shared by everyone. If she was my daughter, I would not be happy about her dating a 27 yr old, but that is because parents are more protective of their kids. But this person did not make allegations based on the morality of the relationship, she accused him of criminal behaviour, rape. It now transpires that she lied, so though the episode might be distasteful, McDermott has done nothing wrong apart from offend the likes of you, and should therefore be allowed to get on with his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“Like what is the actual appeal of a relationship? The only thing is the power dynamic and a god complex.“

What a bizarre way of looking at a relationship between 2 people who you know nothing about.

I would say cultivating that gimmick (And it was a gimmick) makes him smarter and more mature than most, he knew exactly who he wanted as an audience and how to get them.

• Advertisement

Remember, only the age at which it happened was retracted, not whether or not it happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement