Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If Boris does throw his hat into the ring it will solidify how utterly shameless and repugnant he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Our friend is back I see. We never did find out why he keeps referring to GEs as FEs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

Johnson’s name was mentioned more than 3 times in quick succession, that has a knack of summoning him. Also if you say it three times in front of a mirror on Halloween, he’ll appear in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,882 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

At times you can laugh at the carry on across the water but the carry on last night and today, and the fact that boris Johnson of all people is being talked about again as being in the frame to become PM again just shows how much the uk has fallen. It’s kind of sad really given how much they build themselves up yet it’s just a shambles of a system which has been shown up in the past three months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Just like a certain notorious Charles Haughey ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The man is lazy and did as little for the people that he could while PM. Pretty much anything he did, he did for is own selfish interest. He allowed thousands to die while he partied. He lied to pretty much everyone: the queen, parliament, the public... He is bereft of any morals and completely unfit to be any kind of leader.

That you wish his return says loads about your moral compass.

Funny, from his leaving speech.

"And I will now be gently re-entering the atmosphere and splashing down invisibly in some remote and obscure corner of the pacific."

And like Cincinnatus I am returning to my plough."

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson thinks he's coming back, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't think either party is guaranteed to keep their MPs from the Summer. The people that voted in the first round will be counted on as really believing that Sunak and Mordaunt should be PM. Thats 88 and 67.

For the record in the 5th round Truss got 113 MPs. In the first she had 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What are you talking about? While it's true that Truss was left a steaming pile of **** in her in-tray by her predecessor that's not why she's out. It was her mini budget that precipitated her downfall and that was her creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Granting that the first-past-the-post electoral system is an abomination -it is absurd in my view that members would have a decisive say -in fact any say , in choosing a PM. They have had their input together with the whole electorate in the general election. Representative democracy means that the elected MPs represent the generality of those who wish a particular party grouping to exercise power.

The MPs interact with the candidates up close in a parliamentary and administrative setting. No one is better placed to assess the calibre of potential leaders than the MPs. Members have far too narrow a focus to make an intelligent choice . Their choice of a hollow nonentity like the hapless Truss clearly shows this. Should not be allowed to happen again.

Anyone even mentioning the possibility of Johnson returning must be borderline moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I could see that picture of the queen on her own mourning Phillip resurfacing with extra poignancy. Still, having BoJo back might be just the final shock the UK needs to get rid of the Tories for a good long while. Ideally, he'd make it through the Winter so they can't blame it on the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't get it, the representatives picked sunak, the non representative collection of 300k members picked truss. Who could have ever imagined that this non democratic process would fall apart?! What a shocker!

She basically just lied and won and now they will implement his policy. It's absolutely ridiculous, he must have been getting above his station. Needed taking down a peg.

When is Rory stewart coming back to find the soul of the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• I can’t understand how someone has a job less than 2 months & is immediately entitled to a massive pension.

• It doesn’t matter if they hold onto it or denounce it it’s done. They can’t at this stage change their minds. It’s confusing Brexit is still sometimes talked about as if it can still be undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not a pension; it's an allowance for costs incurred in performing public duties. In order to claim it, you do actually have to perform the duties and incur the costs. It covers things like running an office, paying advisers, transport/security for events you attend, that kind of thing. It's a soft deal, but you can't actually trouser the cash.

There is a separate pension for people who have served as prime minister (or any other kind of minister). It's related to length of service, so the amount of pension that Truss will qualify for for serving as PM for, what, seven weeks will be tiny. She'll also get pension for her service as Foreign Secretary, Justice Secretary. etc; these will be bigger because she was in office longer, but still not very big. Basically, a ministerial pension in the UK is 1.775% of salary for each year of service. Truss has been in one ministerial office or another for about 10 years, so she'll get about 17.75% of a ministerial salary by way of pension (on top of her MP's pension). None of these pensions will be paid until she reaches age 67, which won't be for another 20 years.

In the meantime, she'll have to struggle by on an MP's salary, assuming she remains in the Commons, and a free office and secretarial support, etc.

Can't believe I'm going to say this but they should bring back May now that she wouldn't have all of Brexit and the DUP to deal with. She made mistakes but compared to everyone else, at least she seems to genuinely care for more than just herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Boris is flying back from a Carribbean holiday to retake No 10.

That line pretty much sums up Johnsons career and British politics at the moment.

They need a leader who projects strength, not weakness...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Boris is a Rodeo Clown, a serial philanderer, a man without convictions or scruples and a documented bully. A target of Russian kompromat also because he can't keep his c*ck in his pants.

More interested in prattling on about Peppa Pig and model buses than actual policy to better his nation.

If Boris returns, get the plywood ready to shut up shop on the UK altogether. Broken country, yesterday's country. Write your goodbye letters to Scotland.

Wouldn't put it past the Tory movement to bring him back - they've proven themselves to be a conflagration of morons intent on setting fire to what once was a country of consequence many years ago - and think that burning it to ground will somehow restore it to greatness.

Idiots to a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not sure that they're idiots. They're just cunts and they're supported by cunts.

Personally, I am completely unsurprised at how everything has ended up under the Tories. What everyone has seen with this last budget is simply Tory policy. They don't give a fuck and it can be argued that they haven't given a fuck since the days of Thatcher. It comes as no shock to me at all that in the days when people are needing to go to food banks in a first world country so they can feed their families and kids are turning up to school with empty, rolling, bellies and folk are facing a winter of frightening bills, that the Tories saw fit to channel yet more wealth upwards.

As for Johnson coming back, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that were to happen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I can't wait to see Charlie and Bojo shaking hands! It should be a life lesson to any Frank Grimes out there, lifes a game and there are no rules! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just wait till Boris gets an invite to go to space on Bezos' dick rocket.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Right,

So your mental merry-go-round has you back to loving Boris again has it?

When he was sacked you said it was a great day for the Tory party.

Then you told us Truss would be a disaster , and to be fair you were right (but , stopped clock and all that)

Then you told us that Truss was great and her budget was brilliant.

Then you told us she was shite and the Tories needed to go.

And now we're back to "Boris was done wrong" and he should be PM again.

Good lord man , step away and take some time to pick a position and see if you can stick with it for more than 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

@Quin_Dub You're going to scare him off again!

Advertisement