Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is absolutely no verified evidence what age she was, apart from the fact she was over 17.

If she was 18 and in college would that make people more comfortable? Or 19 working in a restaurant. Or whatever. The age of consent is defined in law for a reason. If you think the age of consent should be increased, or some sort of age gap consent clause inserted, you will need to give valid reasons for that.

The only reason people are going all Lovejoy on the age, is because they believed he was a rapist based on a concerted anonymous work of fiction, now they are embarrassingly still trying to still vilify him based on self confessed liars.

This is a glaring example of people going straight to outrage without engaging in critical thought.

The Me Too movement was badly needed and still is, of course with everything their will be negatives, this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You think McDermott was smarter than most....by behaving like some kind of superior moral being than the rest of us....riiiight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,489 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Remember, if you lie about something as crucial as the age you were when it happened, then why should the public/judiciary believe any other part of your story.

What was "retracted" was the parts that were easily proved false. Libel 101.

"He raped me and his X family members were guards so I couldn't get justice" - sic

Yeah, but the rest of what they said was probably true? 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I think anyone who can create an entire persona and convince people that's who they are usually has a higher than normal intelligence.

You must think Brendan Grace is one of our greatest minds, he created Bottler!!!

Is that what male feminists are doing as well so...trying to create a persona to convince people that's who they are, as McDermott was a male feminist too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This isn’t even the worst thing he has done. I remember the days back early in his media career when he used to market himself as being the third Jedward. How uncool was that!!

That was all a persona...the man was/is a genius I'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He went on the Late Late to shave his head for charity but only got a 3 blade, or something.

If you’re shaving your head for charity, and I have, it has to be a blade zero.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Whether it's creepy or not is a matter of opinion.

To simply find a 17-year old attractive - doesn't seem creepy to me.

For a 27 year old guy to act on it in the way that he did - definitely seems creepy.

Well, at least this is common sense balance....nothing at all remotely creepy for older males to find a 17 year old girl attractive. It's human nature for people to find other people attractive.

Acting on it is not illegal, or even that odd (in circumstances). It's down to ages and development etc. I would definitely think men in their 30s and above pursuing it a little off, tbh; but I wouldn't label them creeps.

27 year old male and 17 year old female strike up a connection and are attracted to each other? 27 year old wnats to pursue it....feck sake, lads....he's not jack the ripper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

'Not jack the ripper' doesn't equate to it being fine though.

If I had a 17 year old daughter being pursued by a 27-year old in the way he did (especially one who was a minor celebrity, which adds another dimension of imbalance to the whole thing), I'd be very very unhappy about it.

If I had a 27-year old son pursuing a 17-year old in the way he did, I'd be telling my son in no uncertain terms to cop the f**k on and break contact.

How would you feel and react in both those scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This thread makes me wonder how many people have grown up in protective bubbles

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Funny that, this thread makes me wonder how many people have actually had healthy relationships.

The two scenarios would need consideration. Just looking at it without context would have me thinking that maybe at 17 she is too young to be dating a 27 year old. But if you consider and factor in maturity, emotional intelligence etc, then maybe it's not that off.

My 27 year old son: Same thing, really. Without context you would be probably thinking "she's a bit young for you, son."

Either way, I don't think i'd be at all like some here.....trying to label these males as creeps and pervs.....that is just absurd.

You need to let go of your self-righteous and morally superior-pompous attitude here, really. Desperately trying to find seediness and amoral/creepy behaviours.....and your continued references to your idea of "healthy relationships."

So you wouldn't tell your 17 year old daughter to break contact, but you would insist your 27 year old son do?

Again though, there is absolutely no verifiable evidence to suggest what age she, she could have anything between 17 and 100 for anyone on here here knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well, given the amount of wholesale child sexual abuse in the previous two generations, perpetrated by family, clergy, sports coaches, staff in institutions etc, I wouldn't blame any parent for wanting to raise their child in a bubble of innocence. I mean, yes, there is a happy medium between protection and preparation for grown up life, but its entirely valid parenting.

• Advertisement

I believe the "bubble of innocence" contributed to the abuse. So many times you hear survivors of abuse state they had no idea what was happening to them, so they couldn't articulate the crimes to anyone.

Much better off discussing boundaries, consent and sexuality at an age they can began to understand.

Those conversations should certainly take place before boys and girls reach the age of consent.

Thankfully we have learned and it is being done.

This isn’t the funny quip that you think it is, chief.

Agreed, but it is also all age appropriate. We alter our behaviors and warnings and protection and guidance as our children grow, mature and develop. And today, there are far far more alerts and warnings and protocols in place to help keep children/young persons as safe as possible.

It's why I find it odd that people are latching onto the word, child here to try demonize this man. The girl is/was a young person at the time. Aged 17.

She was not a child in the sense that she was very very weak/immature/vulnerable and incapable of determining right and wrong etc. She was, to meet people half way, an older and more developed and mature child. She was not 6/7/8/9/10....On her next birthday she was deemed to be an adult.

To add. I am not saying that 17 year olds are all wise and mature and tuned in and mentally fully developed. You constantly mature, develop, alter as you go through life stages. But to juts label her a child, and leave it at that (because it suits your narrative to demonize an older male) is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id agree to an extent. But its telling that Eoghan only challenged that element. Given his stance on wokeness and male toxicity this whole episode is a career killer for him. He railed against men who used their celebrity to manipulate women. Told us men we should do and must do better and speak out against the likes of that carry on. Yet all along he was aware he had picked up a school kid in a taxi for a relationship. He was a dj in spin at the time? He knew full well his target audience was school going kids and youngster in the age bracket. He had that hold over them. Fame and someone they looked up too.

Eoghan painted himself as the woke mee too fanboy. Nobody else. He said he despised the same kind of carry on he has now been implicated in. For sure the girl in question was at fault about the age but considering his silence around the rest of the girls account id have no reason to disbelieve it.

As ive said nobody deserves to be treated the way he was. A horrific time without a doubt. But there are clarifications needed given his previous stance on men being toxic. Yes picking a school going kid up in a taxi when you are in that position and of that age is toxic in my opinion.

No quip intended, you live your life the way you want, but when you start projecting your brand of morality onto others, don’t be surprised to learn that your approval is not required.

Your posts are getting remarkably more strange. My 'brand of morality' is thinking a 27 year old person having a sexual relationship with a 17 year old child is creepy.

For whatever reason, you think that's ok because 'legally there's nothing wrong'.

When I point out that I question if anyone who has this mindset has ever had an unhealthy relationship, your response is 'yeah well I don't need you to approve my relationship' - which raises a hell of a lot more questions than it answers.

You approve of those creepy ways though. I'll still think it's creepy, just like many others will.

It seems obvious by his return to TV that it has not been fatal to his career. Sex with an underage girl is rape, even if consensual, so obviously that was the most important fact to establish. There was no benefit to him challenging her further, she lied, her credibility is shot, so what more would he gain from a “he said she said” situation?

You will just have to accept that some 17 are more mature than others and that legally no age related crime has been committed.

Your questioning if anyone has had “unhealthy relationships” is a little creepy though, and may have a touch of the voyeur about it. Are you protesting too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Regardless of this issue, the man is a creep!

We've all seen the clip of his behaviour towards women. Scumbag!

• Advertisement

Just to be clear. There is rape and there is statutory rape. They are not the same offence. Not all cases of “underage” sexual relations qualify as rape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement