Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

The main things on offence as far as I can see is the O line has been particularly poor compared to previous years as well as Rodgers drop in form. Bakhtiari has actually been very good especially considering how long he was out but Jenkins has not been good and they have to bench Newman. So much pressure is coming from that right side. 2014 Aaron Rodgers wouldn't do much with the blocking he is getting never mind 38 year old Rodgers. That also obviously has an effect on the run game and then not having a sure thing like Davante compounds things.

I am a bit more optimistic than most here in that I think if they get the O line sorted it will go a long way to helping the offences problems. There was a very good clip of Dan Orlovsky this week showing how these little errors are having huge impacts on the offence.

I do think they see the WR deficiencies and are going to go in hard for trade before the deadline but Green Bay's version of going in hard often leads to prime suspects signing elsewhere so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, the O line is the cause of a lot of the problems.

Especially the right side.Right tackle and right guard seems to be where i

the issue is most acute.

We might see Zac Tom in a bigger role there with Jenkins in at RG.

Maybe Don Barclay and Marshall Newhouse weren’t as bad as we thought they were back in the day.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

don barclay played well at center for a period of time. I would love to Nyman as right tackle, i think he has earned that chance with the way he played at left tackle.

Hmm..dude on a podcast wasn’t too enthusiastic reckons we could come up with

Bakhtiari Runyan Myers Jenkins Tom.. from the left.

I like Yosh myself but he doesn’t seem to have performed well at RT.

Taylor Heinike is extremely mobile…..can’t let that guy gash us.

Ok….. my take on the the game today.

Pack will win if….

They keep Rogers clean

Contain Heinike

Keep the penalties down

The Special teams don’t fuhherke up.

The Pack will lose if

The let Heinike run riot

They concede a lot of third downs

They give away routine penalties

They play like they did in the last two games.

Expect two turnovers from the Pack

expect a 24-17 win

👋

• Advertisement

Hmmm… #69 now questionable…knee.

Not good news.

Maybe

Yosh Runyan Myers Jenkins Toms

Jeez……

#69:inactive

Yosh to LT probably…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....oh special Teams. Rodgers making a balls of it

Jeebus every tiny bit of good luck gone to the Commanders

Packers getting penalised big time.

Negated one fumble RTN for 6

Not converting 3rd downs.

Defense keeping them ahead…….should be (as usual) out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Aaron Rodgers Tuesday should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is it luck when it happens week on week? Seems like groundhog day this season, poor sides carving them open and offence not delivering, with AR looking like he wants to be anywhere else but on the field.

Yeah…. Fair point, but Jeez the punt where the Commander tickled the ball with his little finger after the guy who downed it ran out of bounds after a punt.

Fumbled balls hopping straight to a Washington player…….anyway….

Beaten by a better team, conceded five straight third downs in a row, allowing Washington to dominate the clock which ultimately beat them

Fantastic throw by Heinicke to McLauren for a touchdown , you could t see a Packer completing that.

Next week………..eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Your OL doesn't look great but that never really bothered AR because he is so fast releasing the ball. The big problem is the quality of receivers you have. When a 32 year olde Randall Cobb, whose topped 500 yards once in his last five seasons and Sammy Watkins whose beaten 600 once over the same span, while playing with Mahomes, are important components in your offense then you are in big trouble. They should be a fourth and fifth options at best. Lazard is not a no.1 wideout, Doubs looks promising but he has a lot to learn. It appears Watson will never be fit.

I can't help but go back to that draft in 2020 when they drafted Love with Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman on the board and expected to go in the 25-35 range. The whole world said Green Bay needed to take a receiver there.

I think you gotta get OBJ no matter what it takes if you want to have any chance this year. He's about two to three weeks from being fully fit, he's been cleared for full contact already.

You need somebody for the slot position as well I think, at least to share the work.

That was absolutely terrible. The illegal contact call on Stokes cancelling out the fumble return for a touchdown was a big moment but you just wouldn't be in any way optimistic about the Packers overturning a deficit to anyone at this stage. The last two years they would have won this game and you would have been confident enough of them doing it going into the 4th quarter even if they were losing.

I saw somewhere yesterday that their two biggest plays of the game were on the last drive with 30 seconds left including the one at the end with all the laterals. That is embarrassing. Rodgers is not playing well but the lack of receiver talent is really evident no matter what they might say. Aaron Jones is their best receiver and hes not even a receiver.

Hopefully Bakhtiari missing out was only a precaution but either way things are not looking good. Maybe they will get themselves up for the Bills but these are the games you have to be winning. The only saving grace is how bad the NFC is at the moment that they are still only a game outside the playoff spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

The bookies have the Packers as only a 40% chance to reach the playoffs now, an expected 8 win season. Looks like its going to be a rough couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

This Sunday almost has a feeling of take our hiding and then re-set for the rest of the games and see what happens.

The Bills are 11 point favourites with the bookies. If I was betting I think I'd actually bet on them to win by more than that, Rodgers has struggled against far worse defenses this year and Josh Allen and the Bills offense are flying. I'd say 27-10 Bills.

If theres a loss tomorrow theres not much left of the season to reset for after this unfortunately. The Packers will be sitting at 3-5, with the Vikings likely at 6-1. And theres a pretty tough schedule ahead with games against the Cowboys, Eagles, Titans and Vikings which are all very iffy.

As long as Rogers maintains his sour lack of interest (seemingly) and the general lack of team spirit amongst the other players, with a few notable exceptions, this team is going nowhere.

Tonight’s game will tell a lot …..have we the mebbs to take on Buffalo or do we just go through the motions with the usual predictable results.

The attitude of the team tonight will tell a lot, for me, that is the most important parameter to be decided tonight.

The actual result is not really of major consequence.

Performance is the most important criterium to be decided tonight.

Lets hope it’s positive.

I think we can say a good performance spirit wise.

Penalties at vital times made things difficult, we have to reduce those big time.

injuries also reduced out effectiveness.

However on the plus side, two picks, some good drives, good catches by the young receivers give me hope

we can actually win a few games in the remaining season.

so to no one surprise we didn't trade for anyone. We looked better against the bills in the second half, its hard to figure out this team this year, it feels like its a phasing in of rookies year as all rookies have shown glimpse of great potential.

• Advertisement

Lack of leadership I would suggest is at the root of the problem.

And it’s from the very top down. There seems to be an “I’ll look after my patch and I don’t care what happens elsewhere kind of attitude”

There seems to be no plan to fix it that I’ve heard other than the usual platitudes.

The management need to get out there and take control before social media goes a bit wild.

Since 2020 the team has been in a weird hybrid all-in but also building for the future mode. Drafting Jordan Love in a first round full of good to go WRs, and then rookie WRs that will need time to develop in subsequent years would suggest a rebuild. But then paying Rodgers and a few other big stars enough that the cap will be trashed for years going forward suggests the opposite.

A slightly more all-in approach to get an extra WR in free agency last year or the year before, along with drafting a WR instead of Love, may have been enough to make a Superbowl while Rodgers was MVP level. Or else trading away Rodgers (and possibly one or two other big earners) at the same time as Davante this summer would have resulted in a rake load of draft picks for a rebuild.

Its like they can't make their minds up so instead the team is just awkwardly stuck in the middle in whats likely to be a few years of 6-7 wins a season mediocrity.

Very good post. I saw someone say this week that the Packers have been excellent at being very good but terrible at being great which pretty much sums it up. The blame for everything is obviously spread around but the main culprit has to be Gutekunst and if/when Rodgers retires and the Packers are left hamstrung into paying tens of millions in dead cap he should be the one taking the blame.

Replacing an ageing QB seems to be one of the most difficult tasks in the NFL.

I can only think of two combos that followed one straight after the other, and stayed at the top.

SFO with Montana and Young

GB with Favre and Rogers

Think of Denver/Elway..Colts/Manning…Steelers/Big Ben.. Patriots/Brady…Dallas/Romo..Miami/ Marino

Never really regained their prev exalted positions after a HOF QB left.

So it’s difficult is the point I’m trying to make given the setup of the NFL.

Most if not all teams have a transition problem in this situation..Some get lucky, but very few .

Something to think about ….

All the ‘questionables’ available for selection.

Bak, Jenkins, Lazard, Watson…hmmm

Wow. I think we have hit rock bottom. Time to play love and see what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Rock bottom.... I wouldn't bet on that!

Last 3 years wasted, big questions from the top down really. Might be a few lean years ahead.

Dunno if this is rock bottom but losing to the 32nd ranked passing offence after they dared/allowed a team with a HOF QB to throw the ball all game is pretty bad. The injury list from just yesterday is unbelievable but having said that there does seem to be something major wrong all season so injuries alone can't be blamed. Its hard to know where the blame lies. Overall I would put the most blame on the front office more so for the last 3/4 years than this year alone. There was definitely a superbowl in that team and maybe if Bahktiari doesn't get hurt they win one without any extra help but it always looked like the other teams were doing more to get themselves over the line and we were always left with the typical "Green Bay were calling about x player" or "Green Bay were turned down in favour of team X".

Its hard to know where they go from here. They can't really cut Rodgers, nobody will trade for him on this form and you can't really bench someone on his salary but they also can't really exercise Love's 5th year option at the end of next season without really having a proper look at him over at least a season. They have created this mess so I hope there is a way out but as others have said it looks like there are lean years coming.

My comment weeks ago about the O Line being the main problem has turned out to be wrong as they were pretty good yesterday from a protection point anyway.

Not just losing, only scoring 9pts on the literal worst defense in the NFL, that had given up an average of 32points per game before this...

Its time to just put Love in for the rest of the season. Give him a good run of games - if he shows signs of quality happy days, if he doesn't and they lose them all the team will at least then be in a good position to draft a top QB.

Theres nothing to be gained from leaving Rodgers in there now and scraping out 2-3 wins more than Love would get, just to end up with a worse draft position.

• Advertisement

In theory that sounds like the right way to go but have the Packers ever given up on a season/tanked for better draft position? I don't think in recent memory they have anyway. Also can you pay someone €50m to sit on the bench? Can't see that going down well. They have kind of made their bed now. Maybe a temporary solution is putting Rodgers on IR for 4 games with his thumb but would he go for that either? Probably not.

Also even if they did get a high draft position would we trust them to use it wisely given the previous 4 drafts under Gutekunst? I heard them list out the draft picks on the Athletic podcast earlier and it didn't read very well. Alexander, Jenkins and Gary have been successes but after that who could you say is currently adding great value to the team? Runyan and Myers are good but after that...

Advertisement