Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster match thread

• 21-10-2022 12:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Leinster: Ciarán Frawley, Jimmy O’Brien, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, Jamie Osborne, Johnny Sexton, Luke McGrath, Cian Healy, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong, Jason Jenkins, James Ryan, Max Deegan, Scott Penny, Caelan Doris

Replacements: John McKee, Andrew Porter, Michael Ala’alatoa, Ross Molony, Jack Conan, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Rob Russell

Munster: Jack Crowley; Shane Daly, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Liam Coombes; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Tom Ahern; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Dave Kilcoyne, James French, Jack O’Sullivan, Ruadhan Quinn, Paddy Patterson, Ben Healy, Patrick Campbell.

(Tables be damned).

Leinster just the 16 point favourites with the bookies for this one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Munster might lose by 40 in this one. Thats a much stronger leinster team than i expected, and seemingly no one on the munster side who went for further evaluation pulled through.

Casey is the key for me. You can’t beat a better pack by plodding and murray is a plodder.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I were a cynic I'd think Munster were throwing this game with an eye on beating Ulster next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What: URC league match, Leinster V Munster

Where: Lansdowne Road in Dublin

When: Kicks off at 5.15pm (Irish Time) on Saturday 22nd Oct 2022

How to watch: TV: RTÉ, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Discovery +. On-line: RTÉ player, Premier Sports Player, and URC.tv.

Couldn't find any source for radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I thought the whole "further evaluation" stuff was mind games from the Munster management, but turns out they were telling the truth, plus a couple more — based on the previous injury update, I expected Fekitoa and O'Mahony to be available but obviously they're not.

There's no way Munster are losing this by 40 despite the teams. Munster's team is good from 4 to 8, and Barron looks like he's ready for this level. It's nothing new that the props are a weakness. Murray hasn't suddenly become bad at rugby, he's still a quality 9 and offers a much better box kick than Casey, but speed at the ruck will obviously be the difference between the two. I think that's not going to work in Carbery's favour as he's going to get less time on the ball as Leinster will probably have more time to set up the defence after each phase.

The midfield, well that's where the issues are really for Munster. Scannell and Goggin is not a solid partnership there, and I think those issues will probably extend to the wingers not seeing a lot of the ball as I think Henshaw and Ringrose will be able to shut down a lot of moves early. Crowley looks class, I'd imagine Leinster will try to test him positionally as much as possible, but I don't think I'd have any concerns there, I'm sure he'll acquit himself well.

The biggest opportunity for Munster is at the breakdown — Leinster have conceded an outrageous amount of break down penalties this season, so I think Munster will have to look to win that battle and keep the scoreboard ticking over with three pointers. I can't see that team scoring many tries. Obviously losing O'Mahony and Beirne is a massive blow as they would have had a field day against this Leinster ruck.

I think Leinster will win, the penalty count against them will determine by how much.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bookies have it at 17 points.

I fancy Leinster will cover that with room to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I expected Fekitoa and O'Mahony to be available but obviously they're not.

I didn't think Fekitoa was down as an injury doubt, was he? He's played every minute of every game for us (and Niall Scannell has started all 5) so I think it's a matter of them managing their game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a derby! Anything can happen. Plus Healy won't last very long, he's a 20 minute player. Sheehan must be absolutely a beast. 70 minutes almost every week.

Ahern will cause mayhem for Leinster in the line out. I think this will be close. Munster will come out like possessed goats and bring the physicality.

Anything can happen.

I dunno about that... I'm among the most most optimistic Munster fans at the best of times, but I think a losing bonus point would be a really good result here. But I will say...

possessed goats

I hope this catches on.

Reassuring to hear that they won't leave the physicality in the changing room - thanks for that insight!

Now tell me something else interesting: who the eff is reffing it? Thanks.

Andrew Brace I thought i read earlier this week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Andrew Brace.

Do you have to be an absolute dick in every comment you post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I disagree strongly on murray. Every time hes played munster have looked significantly worse to me. But, we dont have too long to wait.

1. Thanks.
    2. Only when dealing with purveyors of the bleeding obvious. In such cases, my intolerance is legendary. I'm eagerly awaiting the ritualitic pride and pashun mantra.

• Happy to be mock a poster for providing no insight. Check.
    • Also provide no insight of your own. Check.

Good to know all is right with the world on Leinster vs Munster match-threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

great opportunity for leinster to introduce another generation of munster players to playing in dublin.

The pashun is strong, Ologist! The force is with them all. But, Brace is the adjudicator of all things 🏉 this week at the Aviva. Mantra's are blessed. If we don't have them, what do we have?

Of course the physicality will be out there! Connacht brought it in spades last week! They gave Leinster everything they could handle . Munster will be flying into tackles and rucks like a herd of wilderbeasts. The line out alone, will be must watch TV. My grippers will be puckering on every Leinster throw in. It's not just the passhun and physicality, it's just not VanGranns version of ineptitude and cluelessness. Buyers beware of a red storm rising! 😳

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And Ulster have gone one further by faking gastroenteritis to save a physical beating in Durban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Reasonably confident that Leinster will win this with a bonus points. The front row, half backs and centres are significantly better than their Munster counterparts on paper.

I do think there's an unknown element around Munster now however. For years, Leinster had the blueprint of how to beat them. If they fanned their defence out in preparation of a Stander carry, they could put two men on him, stop him from getting over the gainline and Munster then had nobody else in the pack good enough at carrying to worry Leinster.

But with the introduction of younger, more powerful forwards, Leinster won't find it as easy to smother them. Add a greater willingness to play through the backline and Leinster won't have all the answers they once did.

Leinster will probably win tomorrow. Munster have too many injuries and and further along in the development of their style. Future fixtures will be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 3stagsontheshirt

I’m hearing mighty rumours about training, apparently Spud O’Mahony had the whole gang up in his farm cuttin’ turf for the week and the herd are as fit as a Feakle Fiddle! The strength on some of the young bucks is superhuman, Eddie O’Madra was schoopin turfs like a mad fella, you won’t have seen the likes since the Bull McCabe was playing for Munster. One or two whispers about certain dubs *cough Cadbury and Zeebs *cough sneaking off to a ceili 🕺Spud gave them two aur fathers a hail mairy and had them pullin turnips with Donners 😂 It’s back to the same auld motto as always this season ‘schpuds up the jumper, drive on for god and for Munster!!’ Forget the tactics, sidesteps and offloads, just add that 50% extra grit and I’m sure we’ll be back, the three red stags of Munster, where we belong 🥺 👏👏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not a bad Munster XV but that bench is callow, to say the least.

Struggling to see how Munster stay in this tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Hard to say Leinster anything but overwhelming favourites but I'm loathe to write Munster off all the same. Mainly in case it bites us in the ass.

Hodnett, Coombes and JOD will be out to set down a marker against Deegan, Doris and Penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Sexton starting is a complete game changer. Leinster's attack when he's at 10, is incomparable to when Byrne is at 10. To say it's 10x better with Sexton would be an understatement. We saw against the Sharks just how slick Leinster's attack looked. Whereas in the games Byrne was at 10, it's very lateral, laboured and lacking any cutting edge.

If Sexton wasn't playing, I'd have said Munster have a good chance. But now that he is, I can't see Munster outscoring Leinster. That being said, Leinster's breakdown has been really poor this season, and that's an area where Munster could get some access into the game. The scrum is another area where Leinster are weak and Munster should target them there. Although Jenkins being back is a huge boost.

If Sexton plays 60 minutes, I'm saying Leinster by 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Leinster by 25 wouldn't surprise me, Henshaw and Ringrose playing in flippers would still better than the Munster pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

you'd swear Ross Byrne hasnt regularly started at 10 and beat by Munster time and time again.

Where has Leinster' scrum looked so poor this season that you'd feel Munster (who's scrum has looked significantly worse at times) will feel they'll get the ascendency over them?

The Connacht game in particular (not someone you'd necessarily point to as a very strong scrummaging side), Munster had significant issues; Kilcoyne was even subbed off at half time, at least in part because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Surely every team that's ever taken the pitch targets the scrum? The literal point is to shove the other guys back as hard as you can.

But if Healy, Kelleher and Furlong are dominated by Loughman, Barron and Knox, then Ireland have a major, major problem, let alone Leinster.

I'm going on this season. And so far this season, I don't think Leinster's attack has been good, other than against the Sharks (the one game Sexton has played). We've been grinding out results through our forwards and our defence (being able to do that is no bad thing).

• Advertisement

Ireland do have a major problem in the scrum. That's hardly news.

Advertisement