Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I might be understanding of this if it was a big name and the show was four hours long but when the show is so short, it’s hard to justify. The likelihood of the same people hearing the interview twice is very high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Whatever half arse attempt they made to improve their playlist didn't last long. Probably the worst it's ever been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Lots of gaps in their schedule these days, with shows not having what seems to be a permanent DJ - judging from their official website/listings. Is there a shortage of presenters out there?

Was looking for some details, and found this news piece from 2015. Not much stuff lasts on this channel at the weekends at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was trying to listen back to Ed Smyths show from Sunday night yesterday but the show wasn't up on the app.

Checked now and his Sunday and Monday shows aren't on it but last nights show has been uploaded. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I thought the schedule was full again now? It’s all over the place sure, but it’s full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Are you going to see Mario.......I am in me hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The radio would often be put on when getting the kids ready for school in the morning, and I notice this past week that there is a massive push for the Gift Grub tour. Getting some amount of free advertising on Ians show.

He talks so much about GG over the years, I always assumed he had a financial stake in it, rather than being the presenter of the show its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Ian has been credited as both the co-founder and producer of Gift Grub at various stages over the years so presumably has skin in the game for the concert tour. Mario due on with Ray D'arcy shortly, tickets must be going slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

....with the agreement beforehand that he won't do an impression of Ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thing is, he's getting a bit of competition now, first from Oliver Callinan and now Connor Moore has come to international attention with his F1 impersonations. Connors Live shows have been selling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The algorithm really needs a good kick up the hole. Meh chart songs mixed with meh chart songs from 2003 does not make for good listening.

All musical integrity is lost in the station, apart from the 2 hours of glorious tunes from Ed Smith and Claire becks Irish show on a Sunday. there is only so much daytime music people can listen to. Surely the cash machine has drummed up enough cash to get a txfm station going again? Or maybe just Ed playing constantly 24/7? That would sort everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭its_steve116

A TXFM-type station going again would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

8 Radio - https://8radio.com/ - is working for me. Occasionally on FM, always online - it's been doing great for me as an alternative when Ray Foley comes on, or before Ed starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I haven’t listened to todayfm in a while and I know ray foley is back a while now but I listened in the other day and it’s literally like he never left, he does the exact same show, same sketches same bants, love the show etc.. not saying there’s anything wrong with that but I would have thought he’d have freshened it up a bit… also did JP just spend the past 10 years waiting for the call?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP worked with him on 98fm and then when that ended he worked as a producer on news talk for off the ball. He was well liked on newstalk.

I don't understand the lack of equal - or any - billing for JP, though. It's 'The Ray Foley Show'... but JP is every bit as much involved. At least, on the rare occasions where I haven't had a chance to switch off and stick on 8 Radio or Spotify instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

JP always just seemed to be happy in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah he's not one for the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I can't stick the Ray Foley show - fog horns and singing donkeys over and over again, and agree with the previous poster that the show hasn't changed since last time. I'd love to see Ed Smith get this slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not a hope he'd be allowed full control of the playlist. Today FM wouldn't be able to afford the commercial rights.

• Advertisement

When will I learn? Their show was on when I came back from lunch and instead of switching, I left them on. Only to have Foley talk across snippets of two Pulp songs. Though he was going to play Shatner's cover of Common People, but no, he talked over that, too. Lesson learned. Radio off, record player on. Foley is not more entertaining than Pulp - or Bill Shatner - whatever he thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

You have basically described my reaction anytime I tune into Dermot and Dave for a few minutes. Different strokes and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone listen to Today XM lately? Might be just my browser but it’s repeating the same thing every 10 seconds or so (and not a standard today xm song) Iv tried it on 2 browsers on 1 computer, and on my phone, so I don’t think it’s isolated.

anyone else getting this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Just tried it a few minutes ago on Radio Garden and I am getting the same issue. It's not your browser.

Just tried it on the Today FM app. Got an ad for the Opel Grandland, twice, then a voiceover saying "What is this" over music, just repeating.

JNLRs are out. Apparently they're figures for up to September - not sure how it takes that long to tot up the results, but maybe there's something I'm missing. It's weird that the public don't get access to the full figures and just have4 to rely on what's reported in press releases, but that's where we are. I've only seen reports that mention Ian Dempsey, D&D, Pamela Joyce, Foley, and The Last Word. Ed Smith tweeted that he'd maintained his numbers, but I've no idea what they are.

Can't do tables on new boards :-( The columns are Period - Difference - [change in presenter] - Period/difference for the last three JNLRs.

JNLRs May 21 - Dec21 diff Jul 21 - Jun 22 diff Jul 22 - Sep 22 diff

Ian Dempsey 184000 6000 200000 16000 199000 -1000

Dermot & Dave 208000 3000 203000 -5000 198000 -5000

Mairéad Ronan 143000 11000 Pamela Joyce 134000 -9000 130000 -4000

Fergal D'Arcy 134000 Foley & JP 143000 9000 149000 6000

The Last Word 173000 3000 174000 1000 164000 -10000

? ? ? Paula McSweeney 33000 ?

A Curtis (Sat) 199000 ? ? ?

A Curtis (Sun) 167000 ? ? ?

(Edit: added a screenshot, probably should have done that first!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Cheers for posting the screenshot. Not good results all round.

Pamela Joyce losing 13k since she has taken over that slot, and yet they are seemingly intent on ramming her down people's throat. She's doing crossover on other shows, voiceovers, host of the TodayFM Mastermind thing. Has a very RTE feel to how they are pushing her.

And I don't mean the above in a mean way. I'm sure she's a nice person but it appears to me management are set on pushing her front and centre. Maybe they think doing that will have a positive effect on listenership figures?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So she's gone back to the numbers that Mairead Ronan had up to March '21, during a time when everyone's figures dropped a good bit due to - as the 2FM bosses are saying in all the press releases - people going back to offices, post-Covid. Gaining or losing up to ~10,000 seems to be the norm for JNLRs.

Can't argue with a net gain of 15,000 over the six months for Ray Foley, though. Obviously the great Irish public's tastes are very different to me. I want music and a bit of light banter, maybe, in the background, while I work away - not f'n 'boing' sound effects like he was messing with today, had to mute the show during a phonecall. Thankfully I've found 8 Radio - now I just need to remember to switch to it every day after lunch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 matrix mick

@Brock Turnpike

They did the same with Louise Duffy not long before she got the bullet as well.

Advertisement