Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost cutting tips. So with the spiraling cost of food and electricity I thought this would be good.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Would have been better to upgrade to a new energy efficient model. Replacing old appliances with new energy efficient ones will pay back for themselves in a few years at current energy prices.

Seen a few posts of people who done the math and had replaced monitors/TVs/Fridge Freezers and payback was around 3-6yrs depending

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I got a SuperSer heater today. Never thought I ever would, but I considered the possibility of power cuts and the cost of town gas use in very cold weather. No log burner or open fire here either.

So with the initial outlay I'm very happy to have another source of heat, it's already paid for and power cuts won't affect it.

It has auto shut off and oxygen detector, so all the safety features you would expect. Tried it earlier and it has no residual odour either. Glad to have a back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes will be looking in to this myself, I see PowerCity has them for €150, I had been looking around for them last year and it was near impossible to get one. Had the temporary use of one 20 odd years ago when heating failed and it was great, I'd imagine they have improved in efficency since then.

Yes that's right, I got the €150 FloGas one in PC and it is quite neat to look at, not that it makes much difference as long as it does the job!

The initial outlay on the gas bottle was a few bob alright, but I didn't have an empty to swop out, so that was €70 odd, but that will be around half the price or so when I can return the empty. I didn't shop around for the bottle, just pulled into the first garage I saw that had FloGas!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I wonder whether the running costs of the butane cylinder works out cheaper than electricity for the same heat output?

• Advertisement

I honestly haven't a clue, but someone else on the thread might. I was more concerned about having a back up source of heat in a power cut, and something to heat just one room where needed in very cold weather.

Anyway, I have it now, the fuel is paid for and I won't care when it snows or the electricity goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Perhaps you’re right. The most efficient fridge on a quick search freezer costs from 530 to 830 € .for the most efficient and similar type. I’d consider a new model when sales are on but now prob not the best time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would expect the price of cylinders to go up significantly as winter progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I saw 4 camping gas cannisters go from €23 in the Argos catalogue up to €32 now on the website. I had been checking what cooking equipment I had to make a basic fry if need be in a blackout, turns out the gas and cooking connector I have are no longer compatible with current Campingaz products so will need to move on once the gas is used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AvalonEnaid

Been diving into the rabbit hole of gas boiler efficiency the past couple of weeks and I've learned that simply lowering your thermostat from 22/21/20 to 19 helps, but not nearly as much as one may think.

Your boilers flow temperature has far more impact on the amount of energy used. Assuming you have a condensing boiler, you'll want to adjust the flow temperature down so your boiler can enter condensing mode more often. This will increase the boilers overall efficiency and therefore decrease the amount of gas used to generate heat.

Achieving condensing mode is somewhat complicated because it depends on your boiler system. Combi boilers (hot water on demand) is the easiest to achieve by setting the flow temperature to 55'C but there are caveats to this.

Regular boilers (where your house has an immersion tank and a cistern in the attic) is more complicated because you need to balance keeping your hot water at a suitable temperature to prevent https://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm. But in general, setting your flow temperature to 61'C should help the boiler enter condensing mode more often.

Regarding the caveat; Closing the radiator valves to the rooms you're not using may not be the best idea. In order for your boiler to hit condensing mode, you'll want the return temperature of the water to be as low as possible. If you're closing radiator valves throughout the house then the hot water returning to your boiler most probably won't be below 55'c and the boiler wont enter condensing mode. You will want more condensing to occur, which gives more latent heat absorbed and the more energy saved.

Another caveat is how many zones your home has. This will also affect the flow temperature and return temperature. There are complicated maths you can perform to calculate the ideal flow temperature but this will change as the weather becomes cooler as we head into winter.

What I'm learning from all of this is that there isn't a "catch all" solution for everyone. Every house is built differently, has its own insulation factor, different zones, radiator sizes, radiator positions etc.. etc.. It gets complicated when we're all looking for a one button press solution.

To make matters worse, we're potentially getting a White Christmas (https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-could-see-first-white-28192320). Those who turn off their radiators may find their pipes bursting :(

Get those extra thick jerseys and thermal underwear ready! We're in for one hell of a winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Might be stating the obvious here, anyone with a stove its actually good for warming water in a pot for doing the dishes with, just leave the pot on top of it for about 10/15 mins and its fairly warm. Suppose you could do 'boiled' eggs or veg using same method if not in a massive hurry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Passive Cooking is an alternative way of cooking pasta that reduces CO₂e emissions by up to 80%* in comparison with the traditional method.

https://www.barilla.com/en-gb/passive-cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

LPG prices have not gone up as much as other fuels. I'm still filling my car for 84c a litre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭redoctober

Probably get banned for this but do women understand all those? My wife spends HOURS in the shower every day (I wish I was exaggerating there), followed by long periods using the hairdryer....Lights are turned on randomly and left on indefinitely. Heating is turned on when it's actually warm outside...and while wearing scant clothing and open-toed footwear.... Food is regularly thrown out. Also, one that wrecks my head is making really elaborate dishes using a lot ingredients which then produces a one-off meal which is over in minutes and then requires loads of washing up and throwing out of things. I favour things like curries, stews, casseroles where you fire a load of stuff in a pot and you get at least a couple of meals out of it for a group and it can be paired with rice/pasta etc. to bulk it up. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah. My mrs us great about that stuff. She leaves an odd light on but thsts about it. We have warm indoor clothes for the winter. And we have electric throws for working from home so we don't need heat during the day. We need the house warm for the baby but he's in daycare during the day.

We mostly batch cook and have a pressure cooker to save on using the oven and hob. And we have a think about what well cook when making a shopping list so we Rarely waste anything. We're on the same page about all that stuff. You have to be comfortable but I'd hate to be wasting money on gas and electricity and food when it's so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I came home from work today to discover my wife had left the immersion on (for 10 hours), the lights were on in our bedroom (ceiling and a lamp) , the spare room, and the bathroom (ceiling plus mirror light). The toilet under the stairs had light left on (and ceiling fan with it), in the sitting room the TV was on (but on mute!) and a lamp.

For. F*ck. Sake.

I've had the conversation many times and honestly she seems to think I'm a sergeant major penny pincher. Doesn't register with her at all. Then she gets odd with me that I get frustrated with things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Who pays the bill there?

I remember coming home from work to our apartment one time in the middle of a heat wave, literally in the 20’s outside , shorts and T-shirt weather it was, only to walk into something that resembled a sauna, the heating was on full blast , and wall thermostats all turned up.

this was after many discussions on the matter

I never paid a gas bill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭redoctober

Back in the spring I came home. It was 20 degrees outside...actually was!! Not exaggerating. Came in to find the heating on!! Argh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

That's very true and not only will it make you feel warm it's excellent for your health too. Fantastic tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Why can't you just reuse those towels, it's wasteful putting them in the wash after single use.

It makes em happy and feel like they're being taken care of if they have those luxuries available !

Life is subconsciously somewhat of a game to get as far removed as possible from the harsh and cold cave dwelling hunter gatherer lifestyle of old

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sarahahahaha

Allow an insulating layer of filth to build up on your skin by not washing. Like the old ready brek ad, but it's a black aura instead of orange.

Environmentally friendly, reduces energy costs and there's a grant available from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭phormium

I reuse towels that have only been used for drying after shower, hang over shower or throw in hotpress to dry for next day, you'd get several days at least unless you are dirty coming out of the shower! Good tip if you don't want to be using other family towels in the house is buy different colours so every person knows their own towels to reuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is honestly one of the funniest threads Ive read in a long while, first few pages had me in stitches laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You should have waited for a cold night, you use a lot of muscles laughing and that would heat you up.

Save on heating by watching a hilarious comedy to warm up by laughing. Pro tip - remove your head torch so it doesn't fall off and break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Use shades on all lamps so light does not get wasted on unnecessary areas such as ceilings, hence reducing electricity costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You can also put tinfoil around them to store the light for later use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Use candles and a flashlight at home.

Charge the flashlight in work and take the candles from church

Advertisement