Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If this were true, he'd never have been defenestrated to begin with.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But that's all presuming the public are going to shrug their shoulders and go "Welp, that's our Boris!". My brain is truly breaking trying to rationalise how doggedly the Tories are ignoring just how hated Johnson had become, such that his leadership became untenable. A mere 4-6 months ago! That hasn't gone away and if - by way of tenuous example - noted comedian & satirist Jonathan Pie is anything to go by, what had been relief over Johnson's departure would quickly turn to spitting anger at his return.

Much like Trump, I think the Tories are overestimating the lingering fondness for Johnson to a galactic degree that he might be celebrated a returning hero. And much like Trump, the type of glamour and performative charm that got Johnson to the offices he gained only works once - before people have switched onto his nonsense. I think the Tories are making a huge mistake, larger even than Truss, and don't genuinely understand how they can come to it.

Or maybe I'm just giving the British Public more credit than they're due; that they'll welcome back Silly 'Aul Boris with open arms, and nothing will matter anymore and politics as polite, centrist consensus is just dead. Cheered on by the public itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Trump comparison is useful but of limited utility. There was no attempt at a coup when Johnson stepped down. Bear in mind also the effect of the Westminster bubble. Sure, the media might love Johnson but nobody else does. Many of his red wall MP's are not landed gentry. One of them is an ex-carer for instance. They know he is no guarantor of their positions. His control over party structures will be absolute if he returns but that doesn't mean the Parliamentary party will fall in line.

There'll always be people daft enough to slavishly imbibe everything he says as if here were a newly resurrected Jesus simply because he owns the libs. Many of them are card carrying Tories. Most people seem to be done with him. It'd be beyond embarrassing for the party as well and it won't exactly calm the markets either.

I just don't see it. With respect, I think many of the sane people thinking Johnson's return presages a 2024 election victory are employing underpants gnome logic where he returns, there's a gap and the Tories win.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Christy42

True my main hope is still with the investigation that may suspend him from parliament for misleading MPs over party gate.

However my hope of common sense ever winning the day is at most neutral.

These people are never held accountable. Never.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The ones who are must effusive about him are those who metaphorically have all of their chips on him: either because he's their only chance of getting into cabinet (e.g. JRM) or their only chance of keeping their seats at the next election (many of the Red-Wall MPs). Backing and promoting Johnson is their version of a "Hail Mary" pass. It's a sign of utter desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've said on other Politics threads that I'm a centrist; fiscal conservative, social liberal, never been what you'd call a militant extremist, more into dialogue than protest etc etc.

However, if I were British right now - especially English maybe - and I was watching the Country circle the drain and my costs skyrocket and the Tories were seriously suggesting an attempt to put back in the guy who is very directly responsible for much of the trouble going on and without any prospect of a people's mandate for any of it, I think I'd be going out this weekend to burn some s**t to the ground.

I'm literally gobsmacked that the utter state of Britain today hasn't resulted in massive civil unrest. I mean, Jesus, in the 70s and 80s they tore the place up over arguably far less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If he's suspended, recalled and looses the by-election, could he be co-optd back in as a lord ?

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think it could happen quickly enough to not have to someone else as PM in between. But yes.

A stunt like that would probably have their vote down to the 0.3% of party members though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My theory would be that he wouldn't contest Uxbridge, instead he'd get a by-election in an ultra-safe seat on the same day as the Uxbridge recall election. Obviously someone would have to resign their safe seat for this, but a peerage for some aging non-entity who wasn't going to stand again anyway would be quite the carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's only a handful of seats currently safe, though. Whittingdale has one of them, he might be swayed by a peerage. Boris made him a Knight last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I hadn't even given that any consideration tbh, but nothing would suprise at this stage.

In other news, Sunak has his 100 MPs needed to proceed.

If Sunak gets over 180 the others must surely drop out for the good of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If they were concerned about the good of the country rather than their own skins they'd call a general election.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Certainly not. But they might drop out to avoid personal humiliation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whoever wins it'll be the very first thing they have to address. Starmer sure won't drop the subject once <Name Pending> wins, and the few vox pops I've seen already, point to a public thinking similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Slideways

There’s Buckley’s chance Sunak would call an election once he gets in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,617 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Given the polls I don't think labour will be too worried whoever is selected tbh.

Tories continuing to slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The drama continues if Boris gets back in which is good news for us here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd like the drama to stop.

As interesting and informative as it's been - particularly some of the earlier seasons of Brexit - I'd much prefer to see the UK return to more sober politics and particularly less adversarial relations with it's neighbours, both here and on the continent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's not directly relevant but Led By Donkeys have chosen one Jacob Rees-Mogg for their next exposé. As always, it's well worth a watch:

They detail his early attempts to get elected, his odious political views, his contempt for anyone below the upper class and his happiness to invest in drugs used for illegal abortions despite opposing all abortions. It's well worth watching IMO.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He actually makes me sick.

Poster boy for the benefits of violent revolution.

It's the Boris trick. Turn yourself into a "character" and people here just overlook your actual character as defined by deeds and actions.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Will the new PM but stuck with Hunt as Chancellor given how little time there is left to announce a budget for next year? Or if someone else is brought in, will they actually have any influence at this stage?

Perhaps Hunt was chosen by senior Tories and the new PM will be expected to keep him as Chancellor for some continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Besides the odiousness of this man, what impressed me is, he's actually not that wealthy. The numbers thrown around in the video seem to indicate his investment firm isn't that much of a big player (7million pounds here, 4 million there.) It's not like he's Jamie Dimon or Mike Bloomberg. He's a Dickensian cosplayer with a smallish investment company. It's a myth he's actually wealthy and important.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Rees-Mogg married advantageously. His mother-in-law is the only child of the 8th Earl Fitzwilliam, and at the age of 13 she inherited the Fitzwilliam estates in England and Ireland, which were vast, and extremely valuable because land they owned in Yorkshire turned out in the nineteenth century to have a lot of coal under it. She regularly appears in the Sunday Times Rich List. She in turn has only one surviving child, who is Rees-Mogg's wife. He himself was one of the founders of Somerset Capital Management, a fairly discreet private investment firm that doesn't seek publicity and is selective about the clients it takes,. He is no longer involved in operating the business but is still one of the owners. Somerset Capital has about GBP 5 billion under management. Between the two of them, JRM and his wife are thought to be worth about GBP 100 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nitpicky, but even 100 million isn't all that wealthy by modern standards. Dyson's worth 27 billion.

5 billion under management isn't his money; he collects fees off of it. AFAIR from that video he still owns 15% of Somerset Capital.

Not saying his wealth is anything to sneer at - I'd love to have a few percent of it myself - but he's far from top-tier rich. Never mind the crazy wealth of some of the US types like Gates, Bezos, and Buffett.

Somerset capital management appears to invest a lot in Asia-related holdings. $5 billion under management is nice, but again a small player in a big ocean.

Advertisement