Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Think this thread needs a bump!!

As of now Paddy Power (Political Betting & Politics Odds » Bet Online with Paddy Power™) has Rishi Sunak as the odds on favourite. With Boris Johnson 😲 😲 in second place followed by Penny Mordaunt, who at the time of writing is the only one officially to declare her candidacy.

Their full prices are:

Rishi Sunak 8/11

Boris Johnson 7/4

Penny Mordaunt 5/1

100/1 bar

I particularly like the Waterford Whispers story which reveals that Ireland has already run out of popcorn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Johnson has a good chance if he succeeds in getting 100 MP's to support him. It is amazing how short some people's memories are after he resigned a couple of months ago. The Conservatives are daft enough that if Johnson was forced to resigned again, they could turn to Truss again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Doesn't it say it all really in where Boris Johnson resigned in July & now they're

looking for him to comeback 3 months later!

Rishi Sunak must be wondering what he has done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would Sunak offer Johnson a cabinet position, and if so, would Johnson take it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think there is opposition build to Johnston's bid. He se.scto be struggling to get beyond the 50/60 signiture mark.

I think there is to much of a risk with the probes into him over party gate. Getting to 100 will not necessarily get him to a run off. I think the real problem is the indictive vote unless he got well above 150 he would come under huge pressure to stand aside especially if Rishi had the backing of 100+ more MP's more than him. Penny Mordaunt will withdraw in the next 24 hours if she back Rishi it will be hard for Johnson's bid to continue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Or Mordaunt withdrawing units everyone of an Anybody but Rishi mindset, thereby helping Boris? Rishi has the numbers already, what he (as well as the Tories, and the entirec country) needs now is others there to divide the remaining MPs so that nobody else reaches 100. Going to the membership again would not be a good thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suspect there are quite a few Tory MPs that would resign the whip or even quit the party if Johnson got to run.

That could well cause a GE if enough did do that. Maybe the treat would be enough to persuade some to withdraw support for Johnson so he does not reach the quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Papers saying Boris was expecting to get well past 100 names by last night. Instead he is stuck at 55.

He will be making all sorts of deals now (hostages to fortune) as he gets more desperate for votes.

Well it's Rishi. Boris has thrown in the towel. He says he had the hundred votes, I doubt it says Croker. When Rees Moggs was on this morning I knew he was bluffing. Busted flush.

Will the stop Rishi campaign manage to get behind Penny Mordaunt. I suspect not. Even if she get to 100 I think the indictive vote would force her to withdraw.

Rees Mogg's knifing of Truss at the fracking vote has backfired. I think it time to put manners on the ERG mob

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hopefully Sunak will stand up to the ERG. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Johnson has pulled out of the race.

Maybe somebody pointed out the ridiculousness of what he was attempting.

I doubt he came to that conclusion on his own. He is too stupid.

Doing the same thing again and expecting different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@Bass Reeves

Well it's Rishi. Boris has thrown in the towel.

Havn't got my head around that utter chancer actually giving up..

He is/was the master of bluster. It had it's time and place. Churchill was the man of an occasion. Boris taught he could do the same. But he had no principles. Churchill spend 6-8 years in the political wilderness. Boris always had to be in the public glare. He could not cope with exile like Churchill.

Deep down Churchill was a democrat, an anti-fascist. Boris wanted to use the fascists ( the ERG) to gain power. When his thinking on them was not popular he still stood by his beliefs.

Boris is like Trump the end justify the means. While Consertives politics has many points to admire, it's the extremes of it that destroy it as a political movement.

The longer it's stays in power, the more polarising the belief of a hard core of its party becomes.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This guy cites a fairly similar episode in the not too distant past

So it was in 2016, fresh from being hailed by Brexiters as the defining reason for the Vote Leave victory, with Johnson billed as one of the frontrunners to succeed David Cameron.

That time events were even more dramatic, but followed a similar narrative. Just before Johnson was due to formally declare, Michael Gove, his ally and Vote Leave partner, announced he believed Johnson was unsuited to the job and that he would stand instead. Johnson, his hopes badly damaged, gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I'd have liked to see Boris Johnson become PM again and have to own the mess he made.

People should be careful what they wish for. An unstable UK is of no help to Ireland. We are hugely dependent on the UK economy. A huge part of the exports from the domestic economy go into the UK. Boris and the circus that goes with him would be a disaster for Ireland both North and South

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Boris and the circus have already been a disaster for Ireland. And, yeah, more of the same would be worse again.

But you have to ask yourself, what has to happen for the UK to change course in a direction that might do Ireland less harm? And I think one thing that has to happen for this to be even a possibility is a change of government in the UK. And that won't happen before January 2025, unless the Conservative government falls apart. So, just at the moment, Ireland's interest lies, ironically, in a maximally unstable UK government; it increases the chances of an early change of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. A Labour government that respects international law and treaties is by far the best realistic short term development both Ireland and NI unionists could ask for.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I think if you think an unstable British government is good for Ireland you are deluded. If it's unstable it's being held to ransom by the ERG group and the Tory Thatcherite wing. Its the Chinese curse ''that you live in interesting times''

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

His point is that the only way to get a stable British government is for a GE to take place. Changing PMs is not the solution. The problem with Sunak is that he might be able to hold things together for the next two years, delaying a GE. At least with Boris, it would fall apart much sooner and then the country can elect a stable government with a proper mandate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. For Brexiters, Brexit was supposed to make the UK more "nimble", but in fact it has dragged the UK into a policy cul-de-sac and created political sclerosis. For the UK to address the political and economic crisis that faces it, it has to accept that Brexit was a mistake and it has to start moving away from "getting Brexit done" and start realigning with the EU. But the Tory party is absolutely unable to do that. Therefore there must be a change of government. And, with a 70-seat majority for the Tories, that won't happen unless the Tory parliamentary party falls apart. Which requires continued Tory instability.

So it's instability leading the a general election, or continued paralysis. Both lousy options, but they're all there is. Instability leading to a GE might not result in things getting any better but continued paralysis certainly won't so, of the two, instability is the less awful option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Well, that was interesting. It's all up in the air how long Rishi Sunak can hold it all together. If the Uk economy gets any worse between now and next spring it will almost certainly lead to a Labour government after the next election there. The Tories could well do with a few years in opposition as they are looking burnt out and ring wary [boxing term for not wanting a scrap]

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kier Starmer

Advertisement