Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Closer to 5 than 6 I would say. Just be honest with them and say you worked out how much they are charging for the labour and see what they say. Counter with a fair price and let us know their response (if you get one).

It’s high. They are decent panels with a 35 year 87% production guarantee.

Cant comment on the sun sensor; you should ask them and let us know what they say.

Maybe they are including the cost of a BER assessment in the price. You can gauge the value of this yourself.

It should be less than 100 euro to upgrade from 4 to 5kW inverter. Also note that you are getting a non hybrid inverter; so if you decide to get a battery later on it will limit your options. But this would significantly increase the cost of the inverter (potential unnecessarily). From about 500 to about 1000.

It’s about 5000 worth of gear as the quote stands. So it’s a 10100 euro quote (7781 from your pocket and 2400 from SEAI); so they stand to make about 5k from the install.

i think get some more quotes and see how they look

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

Hi is it possible to upgrade batterys in the future and add to them?

Also do the batteries need to stored near the distribution board or can they be stored in the attic?

FSS is a fireman safety switch; standard bit of kit that is required by Irish electrical regs.

Most battery solutions allow adding additional modules usually up to some limit per controller; so it depends on the make of the battery. Depending on the system there can be issues with balance (something an end user should not have to worry about) when combinations of old and new battery’s are in use. Most installers won’t be aware of this and as such won’t mention it as a potential issue.

if you are using a hybrid inverter with DC connected battery’s usually it’s best practice to have the cable run < 10m; attics can get very hot in summer and very cold in winter; so you would need to check the spec sheet of the battery your looking at to ensure that it can operate within the temperature range in your attic. Lots of people have battery’s in attic’s; but it’s a decision you need to make yourself.

if you are going with an AC battery; you can locate that anywhere in the house; but it will require an additional breaker to be installed in your fuse box (in addition to the breaker that is used to connect the solar inverter) make sure you have the space; or you might need a sub board installed; or have a your board upgraded to a larger one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shabre

Hi all,

Just starting on the solar pv journey. I got 2 quotes:

• 6.4 kW hybrid battery ready system is €12,040 includ VAT after grant. Diverter an additional €595.
    • 6kwh system 13 panels, 5.3 battery€12,000 plus VAT after grant. Diverter €500 extra €13,620 includ VAT 
    • Do these seem reasonable or too high?
    • Thanks

Which inverters are they both using? Capacity and Brand?

Which panels? Any optimisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JoeBillyBob

no battery... this price is before the grant....

but still, considering it is a straightforward slate roof and cable run - i am thinking 2 roofers and 1 electrician for a day....

honestly, at these prices there is no way i can justify going for solar... which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Got another Quote - what's your opinions on this ? (looks like roughly 1859 euro Per kw..... seems high)

12 x 410w JA Mono panels 4.9kwp system

1 x Solis 5kw inverter

1 x Eddie

Grand total 11,500 Euro

-SEAI Grant 2,400

Deposit 2000

Balance 7100

Looks like a total of 9100 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

Hi all,

Long time lurker! Looking for any guidance and/or observations on the following quote I received this morning for a 6kwp system split between east and west facing roof (bungalow)

16 x 370w JA panels Monocrystalline = 6kwp system

Inverter: 6kw Solis inverter with wifi dongle

Battery: 5.1 Dyness battery

Eddi for hot water

BER not included

Install date June

Cost after grant E12,100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I have lost all track of the market these days. Get some more quotes and keep that spec. I'm not saying it's brutal but keep on looking

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shabre

Quote 1 is for Solis hybrid inverter 3 kwh, panels are 400w solarwatt panels

I don’t have any specifics re quote 2 just a general ballpark figure which may not be the same when I get into the details. Am waiting for person to get back to me re quote. specifics

Neither quote mentioned optimisers though I’ll probably need them as there is some shading. Will including them up the price by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

May be able to do a little better , look at Johndoe 11 above , however its approx 2k over the guidance and it is only guidance , you have a split roof install as well so maybe loading you for that , agree with Maulbrook use as your basis for other quotes and see what you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

How is this quote for a 3.2kw system.

8x longi 410w panels

3.6k Solis inverter

Online monitoring

Includes full installation, all cables, isolater switches etc

€6,600 before grant. Id go for a 4kw system to get the larger grant but he doesn't think my roof will be big enough (standard 4 bed semi d).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caspar24

Hi all. Total newcomer here. I have been getting quotes but I have a question. I have 2 vent covers (low) protruding in the area where the panels will be placed. One quoter has told me that these must be moved before installation and 2 have told me that is not necessary. I'm now more confused than I was at the beginning, middle and near end of this journey.

Any confirmation, one way or the other, would be much appreciated.

0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, any shade on 1 panel will drag down all the panels on that 'string'. So you'll have either 1 or 2 stings. Send a pic of the roof if you can and include which direction it faces.

And any amount of shade hammers output. Not a case that 5% of shade only reduces by 5% - it's a huge impact. Shade = bad.

My instinct would be trust the one that say it needs to move. Maybe they are more diligent than the others. Anyway, send the pic and include the expected panel setup on the roof so we can see.

Include the rough height of the vent and size.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

Just looking at cost-benefit for a battery now 600 grant is gone (and you can get 0.18 per kwh selling it to the grid now). It's almost like installers are looking for several €ks per install whatever you're doing so I'm wondering might as well throw in a battery maybe more panels while they're up there.

My install is 4.9kWp 12 panel and usage maybe 5500kwh p.a. = c15kwh per day. Let's take a 2.5Kw battery and please correct my sums.

The battery will take whatever's thrown at it from the panels in the day and hold/release as needed. Let's assume it's emptied out by 11pm when night rates kick in. You can charge it at night time rate of say 0.25, that'll cost you 0.25*2.5=0.625. you'd pay 0.50 in the day for that, so you've saved 0.625. x365 = €228 a year (assuming you're there all days), let's take out holiday time and you get €200. The battery costs around €1000 so payback in 5 years. Are these reasonable assumptions?

The pros I see if this is correct is it's all done by the same outfit who'll stand over it, and any non-certified electrician can change/add/upgrade the battery later at regular rates.

You won't get a battery for anything close to 1k, they're multiples of that now. Also, for a battery you will need a hybrid inverter, which I understand is about 600 more than a non hybrid, so factor that in.

With the up front costs of a battery and the decent FIT rates I decided against a battery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

A couple of Qs:

1) Not sure if good value or not, seems a little steep versus guidelines?

2) Is FSS a Fine Sun Sensor? And not sure what that is or if needed- I've a flat roof directly south facing, no shade issues.

3) Not sure what 1 x BER, 1 x Empowered by Light are, any ideas?

4) The generation is 4.9KW but the inverter is rated for 4KW, is that OK or should inverter also be 5KW?

1) A bit on the steep side, but given current climate, it is now hard to achieve that guideline price unless you're going for a large system (7-8kWp). Look for a few more quotes and post them back here for feedback. Going even looking back over the last few pages of this thread indicates that that price can be bettered. Some of the posters that other Boardsies have used are listed here.

2) Possibly a Fire Safety Switch (Fireman's switch). This is an AC powered mechanical relay which cuts DC power in the event of a grid outage (or firemen pulling the main ESB fuse).

3) You need to get a Building Energy Rating (BER) completed post works in order to claim the grant. No idea what Empowered by Light is, possibly a charitable donation?

4) With 4.9kWp south facing, you'd definitely need a 5kW inverter. It would be a different story if you had an E/W orientation.

You need to factor in the costs of a hybrid inverter or a AC storage inverter (e.g. ME3000SP) if you want battery. Your sums are omitting charging/discharging round trip losses. Depending on the inverter/battery, these could be 10-20%.

You also mention a small 2.5kWh battery in your example. The problem with these is that they usually have a poor charge/discharge rate, possibly as low as 25A. That means you can only charge/discharge at 25A * 51.2V = 1280W. Pop on the kettle on a dull day, and the surplus is coming from the grid. You can overcome this by adding multiple batteries in parallel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

I hear you, and thanks, and I'm close to the same conclusion. Or leave (the entire project) until prices come down. Or DIY.

On battery I was going for cheapest just to get something in, and it seems possible to get a 2.5kwh for c€1000, like here: https://efficienthomesolutions.ie/product/storage-battery-sofar-2-5kwh-gtx-2500/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Hi, I did an Solar PV ROI calculator in another thread. It's flexible enough to do battery ROI on its own. You just need to set the PV field to 0. It doesn't take into account charging/discharging losses that @Jonathan mentioned but it will give you a starting point. For production shortfalls its assumes you will use the night rate and everything is configurable. I've shared the link with several members here already and they are providing me with feedback on it before I put it up publicly. Happy to share with you also if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I just paid 1.3k for a 3.6kw Pylontech......even with fit kwh is working out 30c. Also the battery gives you the flexibility to have it charged at a low night rate and discharge at a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caspar24

If the shadowing lasts for an hour or two around 1400 during winter months does this have a very bad effect? Will optimisers help?

10-12 Panels planned

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workerlass

That seems a good price, I’ve been quoted 18,000 less the grant for a similar system. Can I ask who the installers are?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Went through loads of options a decided against Huawei for 2 reasons. 1 the vendor lock in and 2 the cost. Much better value out there!

• Advertisement

Yes it will effect production. Not every panel will need optimizers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement