Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Prices

Options
  • 05-09-2022 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are ye doing to combat rising prices, seeing its already started to hit manufacturing and small businesses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Planning on putting in a concrete tank at the highest part of the farm. Putting a timed valve on the supply to it and use it for drinking water then during the day. Refill each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Sound like a recipe for contamination of your drinking water to save peanuts.

Do you think the electricity used to pump 100 litres plus per cow per day from 200ft underground is peanuts.

The majority of which they drink during day rate electricity hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

In a bit of a brain fart I somehow thought it was for your house.

Assuming just for the cattle it’s not a bad plan but not sure how long the payback would be to put in a 10k litre concrete tank (assuming 100 cows).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

A bigger air tank will reduce the pump kicking in. We added another one in the parlour also

• Advertisement

After reading this thread I decided to calculate how much electricity I am using at the moment per cow, per day. Averaged over a week

It worked out at 0.46 units per cow per day.

0.26 on Day Rate and 0.20 on Night Rate.

Obviously this is Sept so the water bill and milk cooling bill would be a lot lower than peak summer months.

Just the farm on this meter and no other livestock.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on farm generators? PTO type. Price etc?

I’ve been advised to go for 33kVa

Ya I bought a 33 kva one few years back , runs 20 unit parlour, bulk tank and all scrapers at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just wondering if many people have looked at changing their electricity supplier given all increases in prices lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

theres very little difference between them, a cent here or there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think alot of the offers aren't there anymore. I'm with electric Ireland 26% discount, new contract started in August. Submit monthly readings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

Very little in them if you stay with them, but usually discounts for new customers so worth shopping around yearly. Got a 32% discount with Bordgais and free use on Saturdays.

I now try to save the welding/ 3D printing for Saturdays. Use automation and timers to control heavy appliances and pumps for times with cheapest rates.

Use an automation with weather forecast to predict if solar hot water needs to be supplemented with immersion on night rate based on cloud cover forecast.

Going to get a new vacuum Kettle that doesn't need to be reboiled for hours.

Monitoring usage, is useful for finding appliances that are using power but providing very little service. There are energy kits available to borrow free from all county Libraries. https://www.meath.ie/council/council-services/libraries/home-energy-saving-kits

Post edited by emaherx on

Most important thing is to submit regular meter readings. See a local business complaining of a massive airtricity bill of over 6k. They hadn't read the meter in over a year....

Yes @whelan2 that is particularly good advice in the days before a price increase. Of course it's automatic now for anyone with a smart meter.

Hoe many times do lads run the scrapers

As often as needed I'd guess, but that will vary depending on width/length of passage and number of cows. Cutting out scrapping too much will increase the power used by the scraper if it has to push too large a volume of slurry in front of it and increase wear/tear. You could use a clamp meter to see how much power it consumes with different timings, while checking how clean the passages are being kept if you wanted to experiment with lower frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jim Simmental

So is the ‘meter reader’ being made redundant? No need for that anymore if you have a smart meter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Every 4 hours, think it's a false economy skimping on the frequency tbh

When their in at nite I was thinking of running em at 9pm and 6am or is it too little

• Advertisement

If you've a night rate meter would 23:00 and 07:00 make more sense? Or 00:00 08:00 if/when your rates change summer/winter time.

Did you get the ‘free use on Saturdays’ with Bord Gais over the phone?

I went with their One Big Switch deal for the house the other day but didn’t bother switching Farm a/c as mainly sheep here so usage wouldn’t be serious.Have credit built up on farm a/c as well.

Was it the One Big Switch deal you availed of as it’s 33% off for first year with them?

No I signed up online direct with them. Forgot about one big switch to be honest.

Did you get the free time Saturday or Sunday with that too?

My mother texted yesterday evening that her electricity contract was going to be out of date soon, I was assuming in a few weeks, but she said tomorrow. I went onto bonkers.ie and luckily electric Ireland will keep them on the same plan they're on ,14% saving. There were 4 other offers on the screen, no savings on any of them. Prepay power and flogas the providers. I'd say they'll have to pay full whack for a couple of weeks until it comes into place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Did you try one big switch, they had good offers last week

No. The fact the contract was out of date so soon I was sort of panicking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

End of contract here too - went onto bonkers and no savings.

Looked up ESB, no savings… Am with Airtricity and they still seem to be the best - which surprised me…

@emaherx - did you sign up with Bord gais lately? Was on their website today and I didn’t see any 32% discount offers?

Oh, for normal house use - what’s the opinion on smart meter rate? We don’t have geo thermal heating, no big energy use really, just standard household items…

Don't think so tbh,I availed of One Big Switch deal on last day it was available.....last Friday....33% off, I also signed up online....where did you see that you have free electricity on a Saturday?.......got phone call from Energia today as Bord Gais had obviously contacted them to take over provider service.....best Energia Salesperson would do was 10% of this years contract so I said thanks but no thanks.

It was at the end of September, just looked at the website now and best discount I see is 15%, guess its luck of the draw

I think for a lot of households the old plans still makes more sense. The smart plan works for us but you need to watch how energy is consumed or you really could get stung worse, I added energy monitoring and some automation where possible with Home Assistant to help. The monitoring from the smart meter is not great as its always a day behind and you really need real time monitoring. And once you go on a smart plan you can't go back so you need to work it out.

No Heat pump here, but I use the Immersion to backup solar hot water which needs more backup as the days get shorter.

Washing machine, dishwasher, oven, immersion, vacuum, dishwasher, kettle, toaster all show big spikes when they are used, even the twins 2 gaming PC's can show a fair increase when they go on together of an evening. Using the night rate and free Saturday where possible helps, Saturday is great for bigger workshop / welding jobs now.

• Advertisement

Got the same phone call from Energia, but they couldn't match

The plan I signed up for is called Saturday Free Time, between 9 and 5 it is free to use as much as I like.

Advertisement