Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

In Australia.

He is fucked as far as the mee too woke angle goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I would content that your posts are creepy.Youre trying to impose your morals on others,if they don't live up to these morals their relationships are deemed unhealthy in your own wee head,youre like a rural zealot parish priest preaching back in the day.Youre giving much too much weight to your own arbitrary creep definitions, you're telling people what's creepy/wrong/rapey/ unhealthy based on your opinions,a bit like the bould Eoghan himself when he still had a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Clearly very few people here have been unfortunate enough to have been falsely accused of something.

You’d quickly change your tune if this was to happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Meh, he’ll probably be alright here as well, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No no....all these people are far too sure that they could never ever be attracted to or tempted by a 17 year old....and that these situations only apply to creeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

"You need to let go of your self-righteous and morally superior-pompous attitude here"

Seems to be his entire persona, ironically very similar to the persona Mr McDermott used to look to cultivate for himself.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So I'm creepy because I think a 27 year old man, who has lived through his life and should have experience of healthy relationships, having a physical relationship with a 17 year old girl, who is still instructed to wear a uniform from 8:30 to 3:30 every day and has no experience of anything in comparison, is creepy?

You really think it's perfectly ok for a 27 year old man (or woman, whatever you're having yourself) to engage in a physical relationship with a child? Is that really the level we're stooping to try and defend what a truly weird and inappropriate situation this is?

That's one of the worst takes I've ever heard on this thread. Congratulations.

You can have all the opinions you want, but I'm not the one in here promoting a person in their late-20s have physcial relationships with children. You are. And don't come back to me and say you're not promoting anything. The fact you're arguing a toss with the point that a 27 year old man having a relationship with a 17 year old girl is creepy as f*ck tells me everything I need to know about the point you're making.

You want to go have sex with 17 year olds? Be my guest. You'll still be a creep.

Faugheen, still waiting on your answer. Do you think it is wrong/unnatural for males in their 20s (or older) to find 17 year old females sexually attractive? You keep labeling males creeps. So, can you answer this, please? I asked before, and you didn't answer. I think it is an important question, considering your take here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Jesus wept.

If that's the level you're at I think I'll just leave it there👍

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

This is a bizarre take especially "Keep fighting for the right of people in their mid-late 20s to have sex with children like a good citizen"

Apart from certain instances (e.g. a person in a position of power as was posted by someone else) people in their mid 20s can already legally have sex with children, as long as the child is 17 years of age or older. So they already have that "right" whether you or i like it or not - so nobody needs to "fight"?

I'm not sure what your angle is? Are you advocating for an increase in the age of consent or more rules around age differences in legislation?

Whether you or I or anyone else thinks this is ok/creepy/anything else its all above board from a legal sense, no fighting needed (unless like I said you are advocating for a change in the law?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do you think it's so "creepy" that it should be a criminal offence?

And where does it all become creepy? 18 year old male and 17 year old female....is this creepy?

Or a 20 year old male....is he a creep?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

An 18 year old and a 17 year old could literally be sat beside each other in Maths class, for f*ck’s sake.

The fact you ask is that the same as a 27 year old tells me that you have zero interest in actually discussing this, but I’ll take you on your merits and actually point out why it’s very weird and very inappropriate.

A 27 year old man has been through school, through college, is in a job and career and has been able to mature as result of all of those experiences. They will have likely found their place in the world, have plenty of independent living and will have experiences of healthy, sexual relationships.

A 17 year old is still discovering themselves. Their body isn’t even close to physically matured. They have very little independence, very little knowledge of healthy, sexual relationships, and are still wearing a school uniform for 7 hours a day.

A 17 year old has zero grasp on independence or on healthy sexual relationships.

Theres nothing stopping anyone from doing it, but if a grown, mature adult feels the need to have sexual relations with teenage children and fall back on the ‘it’s legal, bro’ argument, then that, to me, is creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You could argue the same about other relationships where the partners are at different levels, be it academically or physically. Just because you don’t like the setup doesn’t make it abusive or “creepy”.

Ok, so it's creepy when what age male is involved? Your logic is all over the place. Utter nonsense.

Seems simple to me: You think 17 is too young for people to have sexual relationships.

And you are oddly hung up on what defines and makes a person a creep. As well as too preoccupied with ages/numbers.

And you still cannot answer the question I asked. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Looks like the holy joe's are back in force, this time they are stunning and brave male feminists...ye should march on Govt Buildings insisting ye know what 17 year old women should or shouldn't be doing be doing!! Demanding segregation to protect them or some such!

Many 17 year are in college.

Is it okay then for them to engage in sexual relationships?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think it's cos you could class the fella as left wing. I have no idea who he is. Or that he was a male feminist. Normally I'm called right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The issue of the age of consent probably needs to be adjusted to some extent to be more nuanced.

It may be legal for say a 40 year old man to have sex with a 17 year old girl but we can all see the moral issues that raises and it likely has to do with the fact that attitudes to sex have changed immeasurably in the past few decades where it would have been normal for someone in the late teens or early twenties to get married and be an awful lot more mature at a younger age than would be normal these days.

A couple of women in their mid twenties work in my office and my opinion of them would be that their behaviour is more in line with what I'd expect from a person in their late teens than an adult as we would have seen an adult traditionally and that's probably something that's been a thing for quite some time as well, at that age I wasn't much more mature myself.

Theres definitely some room for an update to the issue of the age of consent. It's difficult to defend a grown man jumping into bed with a teenager even if it isn't strictly illegal, if it was my daughter I'd be livid with a grown man doing that and I think we'd all have the same reaction.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Remember also, the then 27 year old man who did this probably had the maturity of a 19 year old and the intellectual capacity of a gnat...

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

The man who was banging on about the me too movement at every opportunity like a virtue signalling Jack in the box who can't argue any of that in a convincing manner.

Realistically the guy is a pariah and rightly so, he might have been cleared in the strictest legal sense but he acted like a predator in every other way the scumbag.

Glazers Out!

It's difficult to defend a grown man jumping into bed with a teenager even if it isn't strictly illegal

Jaysus, some of the 18 year olds on our team are 6-2 foot plus and built like tanks.

Would you have difficulty defending that?

The issue of the age of consent probably needs to be adjusted to some extent to be more nuanced

The only nuance is age, how else can one gauge it?

So you are either in favour of increasing the age, or introducing an age gap which becomes a criminal offence. Or both.

So how?

°°°°°

It's simple enough, anyone over 25 bedding a 17 year old should be subject to scrutiny.

I'm not sure what the height of some 18 year olds on your team has to do with anything.

Glazers Out!

What do you mean scrutiny? 😕

An 18 year old that is 6-2 and built like a tank would not fit your definition of "a grown man"

But what is a grown man? There is no perfect solution.

I understand completely the angle of age difference being an issue here. I get this.

I just have an issue/disagreement with some who want to paint males who engage in sexual relations with younger females (legally) as creepy and creeps; and plenty will also try to inaccurately and wrongly label these males as paedohiles. They use just age, just a number and run with it. Ignoring the context and nuance, as well as the actual age of consent.

My god, they must think the English are absolute filthy, with their consent age at 16.

McDermott did nothing criminally wrong. His actions, sure, can be questioned, as well as his judgment, but it’s overstepping it to be labeling him a creep/pervert.

Why not 24 or 26? I think this angle here is just unnecessarily confusing.

°°°°°

An 18 year old "built like a tank" is still an 18 year old.

If a 17 year old was to allege that a 27 year old had coerced them into a sexual encounter I think there is grounds for consideration of the difference in the level of maturity of the parties involved. Incidentally I'd be applying this to women as well as men.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Why not lower the age of consent to 16 or 15?

We had people defending Adam Johnson on this site a few years ago for what he got up to with a 15 year old on the grounds that "some 15 year old are hot".

There's all manner of slippery slopes s in these discussions.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

McDermott was morally wrong and we can all identify this.

I understand the fact that you want to defend the honour of men but I'd be applying these standards across the board.

A woman bedding a 17 year old is every bit as weird as a man doing the same thing.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

But like you stated a "a grown man". Or are they someway different physically?

So it's nothing to do with size anymore?

Also "scrutiny" is an odd choice of word, do we really want the government sticking their nose into the sex lives of law abiding citizens, because we did that forever. 😕

If someone is not consenting to a sexual encounter that is a crime, whether they be 17 or 120.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement