Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster match thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah ya, but in that general sense, every team targets every area of the game.

More specifically, as part of a gameplan, I'd imagine coaches will be aware of areas where they can live with (slightly less than) parity (and try to minimise those), and areas they think they can get the upper hand (and try to maximise those).

Like, I doubt Munster specifically targeted the scrum vs Toulouse in the QF thinking they could get the upper hand there for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Munsters gameplan requires 2 things to click

Speed at the ruck, and power in the back 5

Due to players being unavailable, we have lost both

Jack O D as Captain, he better take this role seriously. He needs to out Sexton. Sexton when it comes to bitching at the referee, winnin calls in our favour stopping Leinster from doing the usual side entries and high dangerous clearouts they always do against us. The fact that he's never really done that before means he probably won't do it tomorrow either.

Murray is too slow, and he and Joey have not played well together. Murray being slow, will make Carbery look bad, our only hope is if Crowley can be the playmaker off 15 as Joey

Having Ahern in the lineout should help us secure our own ball at least, and Hodnet at 7 is good but we're down so much in power that I can see him getting pushed off rucks

Goggin and Scannell in the mid field. Goggin has actually played well this year, but playing against full blooded internationals will be too much for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Prediction time.

Ryan to drop in the warm up, Molony to start, McCarthy to bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭Stanley 1

Kinda strange that Glasgow have also gone down with it, wonder if the 2 squads met up in SA for a few beers, most Ulster lads are very comfortable with Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not really. Vastly overstated and not really relevant to tomorrow's game when the Munster front row have a combined total of zero test minutes.

Do you never stop to think how it's funny that Ireland are sh*t at everything and the coach continually picks the wrong guys, but we're ranked 1 in the world?

Or how it's odd that Leinster are so bad but are bookies favourites for both URC and Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

All I ask is that one day we get to see Lowe, Ngatai and Osborne all on the pitch at the same time.

Raining thunderbastard kicks on the defence all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If munster had edogbo and beirne in the scrum, maybe they could target it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think its more that the general public and media rate scrummaging WAY more than Andy Farrell does.

I actually do think Sheehan and Porter are gettable at scrum time but they aee IMMENSE in the loose. And that is more important in the modern game.

Sheehan is an elite ball carrier and Porter destroys people at the breakdown. Thats whats important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

dangerous clearouts they always do against us

https://youtu.be/iMZa-HZQyDg?t=2589

43 mins in if it doesn't redirect.

These are separate incidents btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This again. Jaysus.

Notable thug and general all round bully Devin Toner can't hurt you anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Do you never stop to think how it's funny that Ireland are sh*t at everything and the coach continually picks the wrong guys

I don't think either of these things. If you do, that's fair enough. But I'd disagree.

I think Ireland are a very good team, who've enjoyed some excellent results of late, but with a couple of weaknesses that will need to be addressed if we're to challenge for the world cup next year. But I don't think Ireland are the faultless, all-conquering team that many in here seem to think they are. Or at least, it seems that way when literally any criticism or opinion that isn't utter adulation, is taken as thinking they're sh*t.

I don’t think I’ve see anyone claiming they’re faultless (let alone many).

But for example, after the 1st Test in NZ you were claiming Ireland had a mentality issue.

After the 6 Nations, you were claiming we had a significant problem scoring tries in the 22; that’s off the back of scoring the 2nd highest number of tries ever in the 6N.

Do you still think those things?

(Not to mention the stuff about the URC I posted during the week).

To be fair to you TRC, I think you’re always pretty reasonable with your interactions (which is more than I can say for one or 2 I’ve had on here lately) but I just think, for your own sake, you could get an awful lot more enjoyment out of rugby than you seem to get… it’s only sport at the end of the day.

But my main takeaway from this is how uncompetitive Leinster v Munster is that we’re arguing about Ireland in the match thread….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd say Leinster have been ok so far this season. There's been no outstanding results. Zebre cut through us like we were novices in defense. The Sharks fronted up and made the game brilliant. Connacht gave us a he'll of a fight. Still, undefeated and coming up to the break. But, Leinster haven't really ran over anyone! Tomorrow's match is going to be a bruising encounter. Munster will bring it on. I think a 7 point win for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Munster would be foolish not to, all home games are must win at this point so no sense wasting the energy and minutes of key players in a contest against Leinster that they probably wouldn't win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I guess the passion really has gone. I remember when Munster used to be amazing at grudge & derby matches.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Loughman, Barron and Knox sounds like such a law firm.

Munster are playing our strongest available team.

So are Leinster it seems.

If we had our full strength team we would have the following players in the squad

Snyman

Casey

Earls

Conway

Fekitoa

Frisch

Salanoa

Edogbo

Beirne

P.O.M

Haley

Zebo

Alex Kendellen

Calvin Nash

That's 14 out of 23 unavailable.

Of our senior players left available, we have Conor Murray who is not at all suited to the gamestyle we want to play so he's actively hurting us, and Carbery who has been consistently bad for a year apart from a glimpse of potential last week. Our in form 10 is playing 15 because we have nobody else to play there considering Carbery sh1t the bed when he played there 2 weeks ago

It's a lot of guys to be without, especially in the second row. You've included 5 back three players though (Conway, Earls, Zebo, Haley and Nash - they can't all be in your first 23). Also arguable if Edogbo is in your first 23 given his age, and the fact that would imply at least one of Kleyn or Ahern isn't in.

TBF though, Leinster are missing a lot of first choice players too: Hugo Keenan, Jordan Larmour, James Lowe, Jamison Gibson Park, Ronan Kelleher, Ryan Baird/Rhys Ruddock, Will Connors, Josh van der Flier, plus some other guys who might be in the first 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Leinster: Ciarán Frawley, Jimmy O’Brien, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, Jamie Osborne, Johnny Sexton, Luke McGrath, Cian Healy, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong, Jason Jenkins, James Ryan, Max Deegan, Scott Penny, Caelan Doris

Replacements: John McKee, Andrew Porter, Michael Ala’alatoa, Ross Molony, Jack Conan, Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne, Rob Russell

Your team for tomorrow contains

5 internationals in the backline

5 internationals in your forward pack

3 internationals in your subs bench,

and I might have missed a couple

Post edited by Brief_Lives on

Ah, whatever way you slice it, Munster are missing significantly more, to be fair.

I count (at least) 5 of our back line and (at least) 4 of our pack from our starting 15 alone, nevermind 23.

• Advertisement

And no brownie points for finding out who the ref is? Something that anyone with the IQ the size of a peanut - or larger - would regard as a lot more relevant to the outcome of tomorrow's game than whether or not the Munster players leave their physicality on the bus!

I mean, I might’ve thought someone with the IQ the size of a peanut - or larger - would be able to use Google to find out the ref in this day and age, but you live and learn…

Yeah, I think that's fair, but my point was it's not a full strength Leinster side you're up against either, just Leinster's depth looks to be a good bit better.

Ah ya, but it’s not just the depth is my point. Leinster have been able to call on more of their starting 15 on top of that too. Not to mentions the bench…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Edogbo would play 5 and Beirne would play 6 instead of JOD who should not make the match day squad based on recent performances.

The back 5 listed, maybe 2 of them wouldn't be in the squad. 6 2 split on the bench, Earls Conway Crowley as the back 3, with Murray and Nash as subs

Means Haley and zebo would miss out.

(For example)

Realistically every team has injured players for every game. Our injury list is much longer than the players I mentioned, lots of marginal squad players didn't make the list. Daniel Okeke, for example could have played given the injury list and he's a seriously good player unavailable after surgery on his leg)

We're playing academy players tomorrow not because we're throwing the game, it's because everyone else is injured (having said that Rudhan Quinn is an excellent prospect but our youngest ever capped player). And James French has lots of potential but is being thrown in at the deep end supported by a weakened pack. It's not how we would have intended to use him

What?

If the ref decides the outcome of a game in advance then why bother even turning up?

I’d largely agree with that tbh; while FTD’s comment about not being able to select all 5 back-3 players in the starting 23 is correct, it really just shows that we’re also missing guys from the 2nd tier as well on top of missing the first choice guys.

Like, depending on whether Frisch is first choice 12, which remains to be seen, there’s a decent argument we’re missing 6 of our starting 7 backs.

I'm not arguing Munster are missing more players, and equally, when I listed Leinster's injuries, I didn't kitchen sink, and didn't really list guys who wouldn't be in the 23. Munster are arguably missing at least 3 of their 5 most important players tomorrow (Beirne, O'Mahony, Casey - fwiw the other two on my list of Munster's top 5 would be Coombes and I guess Carbery), so I'm not taking away from that.

But - Leinster, despite having a close to a first choice tight 5, half backs and centres, definitely have a patchwork back three tomorrow (two centres back there), and our back row is younger and less experienced that the Munster back row too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Munster are in transition at the moment and need to focus on the basic targets of just making sure they qualify for the Champions Cup next season. They're just not in a place to realistically compete with Leinster at the moment so it makes sense to rest up anyone with minor sprains and knocks for the more winnable wins.

Advertisement