Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And the current LFP RWD done have them either.

Australia currently getting MIC MY's.

MY was the bestselling car in September there and is on set to be the bestselling car of the year seemly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes that was the only strong argument I can think of that goes against my theory that our cars will come from Germany. Surely not a RHD run for just Ireland (and Malta LOL) even though it could be for a few thousand cars. I guess we won't know for sure until the first one of us got their VIN and then we can tell for sure!

And for the record: I don't mind either way, the car is a bargain at €53k. As long as the car will have a LiFePO4 battery. Preferably the BYD blade but I will take the CATL one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how comparable is the range of a Y with a 55 KWh battery to a 77 KWh MEB or Korean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Given the margin on Tesla cars could this be a demand lever for Tesla in Ireland to displace some of those ID4 sales? 10% price reduction on SR for launch to build a base of Y ownership and put a dent in the new year aspirations of VW, Nissan (not that anyone has to anymore), Hyundai etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Won't be as much, the MEB cars don't charge very fast so on longer trips there's not much difference. The Kia charges faster in certain conditions and (according to the EV6 thread) if the dealer knows how to do the correct downloads and only? at Ionity chargers.

How often do you think you'll exceed the range of the car? If it's not very often then it doesn't matter so much, the Tesla will be more efficient so will cost less to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

So I’m super tempted to bite the bullet and order a model y. But I have seen they have second hand teslas model s. 2017 for similar money? Is the model y a better buy in yer opinion or a second hand s

Depends on what your priorities are. I will be selling my 2017 Model S for considerably less money than a new Model Y is. Model S is the daddy, it is a far superior car in terms of design, luxury, comfort, style, size, ride comfort. A bit like comparing a BMW 7-series to a 3-series SUV variant

In my case it is already my second Tesla Model S, I'd like a change, a brand new car with a brand new warranty appeals and the fact you can now get the Model Y really cheap with the grant, that is disappearing soon. Which will give a hedge against depreciation. I know, mostly arguments of the head over the heart.

For a mix of driving, we have the WLTP range of the cars to compare them, where the Model Y with the 55kWh battery has by far the shortest range. No one can argue with that.

In practice, the WLTP range is mostly irrelevant in daily driving when you need range, as you don't do a WLTP cycle of 400-500km every day. You need your range occasionally when you do a long trip. Typically on a motorway. Where most of us like to drive at motorway speeds. The WLTP cycle only touches on 120km/h once for a few seconds, so that is no good a measure. On motorways what counts mostly is the coefficient of drag. Which is far better on the Tesla than on the ID.4 or the Ioniq 5 / EV6 sisters

At 120km/h GPS speed I'd say there is not much range difference between 55kWh Tesla Model Y, 82kWh VW ID.4 and 77kWh Ioniq 5 / EV6, but hopefully someone will put that to a practical test

• Advertisement

I suppose it’s my one family car really. We are a one car home. So maybe the y would work better? The s looks unreal but I’m wondering would the y just be a better fit and have a better warranty?

I could have the s once I sort the money or wait a bit and get the y. I’m kinda rambling

I’m in the market for an EV. Now I’d heard about Tesla’s dodgy build quality, but it wasn’t until I’d taken a test drive and had a proper look that I realised just how ugly they are. They really should have gotten in some European designers.

It really depends on what you think fits. A brand new Model Y will have a 4 year limited mileage bumper to bumper warranty. And a second hand 2017 Model S is probably out of general warranty (but will still have 3 years unlimited mileage warranty for the motor / drivetrain / battery - the expensive bits that can go wrong)

I don't know what loads you carry in your car or what your needs are. Funny recent comparison by Richard Symons of Tesla Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X is that the only car he could load his big gent's mountain bike in directly was the Model S. It is hugely practical. I've loaded the car up with 12 oversize solar panels. You can't even do that in any sort or standard size van.

And a bit of a surreal one. Drive around in a Model S. Anywhere in Ireland. And kids as young as 3-4 will point and shout "Tesla!". They wouldn't even do that for a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Porsche. They won't for a Model 3 or Model Y. It still baffles me.

I dunno. The model 3 is a good looking car imo and I like the y too

I mean it’s subjective of course, but now that I’m in the market for an EV I just can’t help but notice that hideous rear on every Tesla I see. It’s like the design budget ran out.

Realistically I’d be carrying the odd child’s bike or maybe bags n bits for a holiday in Ireland. I’ll have to have a think and look at the financial side and not just what I think looks best. Kids uncle has a model 3 so they want a Tesla to play games on 😂

Never buy a car you don't like the look of. Just don't do it to yourself, life's too short. Personally I like parking the car in the drive and just before going into the house have a look back over my shoulder and have a little smile of contentment to myself. I've had that with most of my cars, worth €500 or €50000

If you are serious on an S, go look at @unkle car. It also has FSD, while not much use here YET, it will stay with the car and is a significant upgrade option.

I can assure you, the design budget did not run out. The car is shaped to a tee to have one of, if not the lowest coefficient of drag of any car ever produced. Which is kinda important in an EV, you’d understand that as your currently looking at EV’s.

The thing is, there’s no right or wrong here, you buy what you like, not what your neighbours like.

I personally don’t like the BMW i4, many do. Subjective design.

Have a good look and think. Spending €50k on a car is an enormous amount of money, even if you "hide" it into monthly finance payments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The dodgy build quality is from US factory Fremont, no Model Y for Ireland will come from there so no worries on that front

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

And even at that, not all Fremont care were built dodgy.

I’ve had 3, they are still help together 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

We get this with our white M3 all the time. I’ve never had a car that has had such a positive reaction from kids and adults alike. We also have the white interior so it does look a bit space age. Having said that I like the look of the S. I also think the Y has more presence than the 3 but my wife isn’t a fan and she loves the 3. She’s prefers the sleeker look of the 3 which I can’t argue with!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im genuinely struggling to see how this is a bargain. Maybe I'm missing something. But a baseline model Y with base paint and zero extras without driving aids etc at 53k. How is that a bargain versus for example reasonabley spec European manufacturers.

I'm open to be convinced?

UK guys getting the Vins now for MIC deliveries.

I won’t argue whether it’s a bargain or not but give us something to compare with?

I don't know let's say extra couple of K for an Enyaq or ID 4. I suppose they're similar model bracket classes .

I'm just not convinced it's a bargain because the spec thats included for the money just seems incredibly abysmal. It's alot of dough . As I said maybe I'm just missing something..

How much are they and what trim level do you get?

No new EV is a bargain anymore, this is the way the world is going. Korean EV’s are mid 40’s. BMW are €65k plus.

I think Tesla are trying to position themselves somewhere in between. Rightly or wrongly is subjective.

I suppose with the MY base at €52,900 you get

1. Autopilot (a very good cruise control system).
    2. full leather. (Fake leather but all cars are going this way, at this level).
    3. Panoramic Roof.
    4. Heated front and rear seats.
    5. heated steering wheel.
    6. modern tech and integration. Which includes the updates, app and all that goes with that. Obviously CarPlay and android auto in others.
    7. 19” wheels
    8. Efficiency. You can’t argue with the real efficiency relative to all other EV’s.
    9. Service ranger to your door if required.
    10. Charging speed. 170kw V 100kw in Skoda. Minimal use in fairness but it’s there.
    11. 4 year warranty with Tesla V 3 with Skoda.
    12. Heat pump as standard with Tesla (€1200 with Skoda).
    13. while being the slowest Tesla ever produced it’s still faster to 60 than the Skoda.
    14. Supercharging network.

Now that may or may not be enough for someone to buy one but that’s the benefit of choice. Those that don’t like it will buy something else, the same way my neighbors has a RAV4 and we have a bmw. Personal choice.

Pick a car to do an equivalent comparison I suppose. I used the Skoda at €52,200.

*I also have a Tesla, 530e, eNiro in the house to compare against.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Is there any autopilot at that price ? They're website is abysmal and makes it appears that any aids are extra

• Advertisement

AP is standard on all teslas.

Websites are subjective. I’m trying to navigate Skoda here in my phone and it’s also a nightmare.

Advertisement