Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

You didn't nearly crash land up there this afternoon. Stop being dramatic.

I've seen stobarts land almost sideways and that was in much, much worse conditions than what's about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I know the pilots are trained for that, but I guarantee they don't like flying to Cork. I'm only a passenger and I hate landing there. Never had a smooth landing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

There was so much turbulence the plane literally almost exploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Typical rubbish here about why the airport is located where it is.

There is a book written about the history of Cork Airport, I would suggest perhaps some posters here read it and educate themselves rather than posting silly comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Hah! :D

Sorry you got a bump. I do see passengers beside me sometimes gripping the armrests alright, but I think it's just a bit of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

That's just ridiculous! If turbulence had been that bad, they would have diverted to SNN or DUB. I've had some interesting landings at ORK in the 38 times I've flown here, most recently back in May of this year whilst coming back from a business trip, but I've had similar landings at FRA, AMS, ZRH whilst having significantly worse landings at Klagenfurt in Austria and LHR. The latter in particular seems to be a turbulence magnet. I've NEVER had a smooth approach or landing there.

Cork airport is equipped with a pretty decent ILS in the main landing direction, there are no mountains or obstructions in the vicinity of the glide paths for any of the four runways and it has a wide and reasonably long main runway with a crosswind runway that's still able to take ATRs or some of the smaller Embraers. I've landed on one of those, Runway 25, whilst coming back from Bristol a few years back. There's no reason to claim that pilots "hate" flying into Cork, especially without any evidence, and there's certainly no reason to make the airport out as unsafe.

I suggest you take a deep breath and get some perspective, as this type of hyperbole helps no one. The airport is where it is, it's not a bad location for it, and it certainly won't change. Don't like it? Tough!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Admittedly, Cork Airport does seem to have a particular problem with fog when the rest of Cork doesn't, sometimes. There are no other weather issues that I'm away of in Cork Airport.

Seems a bit mad to land in the middle of a big rain and wind storm and to blame the airport for there being a storm.

Poor Jackie got a bit of a fright,he's probably not himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

There was an occasion when Aer Lingus transatlantic 707's had to land at Cork due to weather conditions at both Shannon and Dublin :

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Flying out of cork airport soon on a very early flight with Aer Lingus. Have to check a bag, and haven’t flown with checked bags in a long time. How early before the flight would we need to arrive, would you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agoodusername

Is it the Amsterdam one? I've turned up less than an hour before with a bag to check in and was fine, this was after restrictions were lifted earlier this year. An hour and twenty and you should have plenty of time to spare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Honestly, pay the extra € for carry on if you can. You will be waiting an hour at the Amsterdam Side to collect your bag. I take this flight often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah, if you can get away with it, don't check a bag (even if it means less clothes and being filthy for a few days). Baggage delays or losses are a problem still.

I don't leave home until 2hrs before the flight out of Cork in general with hand luggage. This gets me there about 1h20m before the flight which even in itself is buckets of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wonder if we will hear something about the winter schedule next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fjr13

I thought the Winter Schedule was launched on 26 September? It's still on airport website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Kinda weird suggesting it is financially motivated, it usually costs more to check it in.

Faith may be connecting to a long haul, schiphol is a hub.

I always travel with checked bags, I can’t bring what I usually need for work into the cabin. I take at least 6 flights a month. I had one baggage delay back in February and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Well THANK YOU very much.

I gave YOU and THAT "AIRPORT" THE benefit of the doubt... I decided to read the book.... and what did I get... can you guess what happened?

I read the book and got a bloody paper cut!

Directly responsible are YOU and that bloody "AIRPORT"

To make matters worse i was reading the Kindle version!

I meant if you can don't take checked luggage unless you have to. For example many people take the FREE checked in luggage option for Aer Lingus only too see they are waiting an age the other side at Amsterdam for their bag. I had to wait on numerous occasions by over an hour at the belt for the checked bag so I just pay the €8 to get me out. You're right though, I would have thought it costs more to pay baggage handlers to bring the bag that way

If you need checked in bags obviously this doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Minor diversion - I'm nearly sure I saw people post in this thread about complains to the Aviation Regulator. I just submitted a comprehensive complaint (including cover note and plenty of back up) re an issue with Aer Lingus. What is the average turnaround time? No information immediately forthcoming on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I flew KLM to Amsterdam from Cork a few weeks ago. There was almost no difference in price (or departure/arrival times) from the Aer Lingus offering. However, on the back of my experience, I would advise anyone flying to Amsterdam to choose KLM. Hand luggage in the cabin is included in the base fare. As is a sandwich and drink (tea/coffee etc.) on board. Small things, but make a big difference.

Honestly, I came away thinking that the KLM experience is what Aer Lingus should be - not following Ryanair in a race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm afraid that (air)ship sailed a long time ago. Aer Lingus had been a budget carrier for 20 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I know - but there was almost no difference in price (think it was 4 euro, or thereabouts). I don't know how KLM can make it work, but AL can't.

Anyway, just my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I hope so but that hasn’t been confirmed. Only Bergamo is year round so far. Rome and Venice are only bookable up to end of March 2023. Ryanair are due to announce summer schedule any day now so fingers crossed!

Cork airport confirmed it on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What's the idea of paying to bring the bag on board? I was flying to Heathrow over the summer, paid for carry on heading over. On way back, carry on was sold out, so I just checked in online and carried the bag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I saw that but it says only that Bergamo and Venice are year round. Venice operated last summer so now that they are operating this winter, they can claim year round.

Only Bergamo is bookable from next March. I really hope the other two routes will be too but Ryanair have a habit of dropping routes out of Cork once they have tried them for a year or two (eg Malta, Naples, Budapest). Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

I guess where it said the status changed from “previously seasonal routes” now to yearly means all year round.The wording is a bit ambiguous with regards to Rome alright though but maybe the booking info will update past March in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why this is getting lost in meaning to be fair haha.

If flying to Amsterdam and you have carry on, do not be tempted to take the free check in option with Aer lingus. As someone who flies twice weekly to AMS, you will be left stranded on average for an hour at AMS to collect your bag.

Flying back to Cork, or anywhere else may be easier, I am specifically referring to AMS due to the near perfect chance of your bag either being delayed an hour arriving to the belt or lost.

Advertisement