Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

I'm fully aware of why they're here.

My question was whether Irish people are expected to willingly return to families living in one room hovels? Because that was the standard when Ireland last had a population of 8 million people ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

"No I couldn't possibly take one in my house it's not suitable /I have no room but we as a country should really all every though accommodation is not suitable/ it has no room"

I commend those taking people in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Centre parks in Longford would be another option to house refugees.

It's surely quiet for the winter.

They could hang out there until Spring.

There are loads of options if government look properly.

In reality this is all about beginning the process of integrating the Ukrainians into Irish society. Most will never go home. This is the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

2 weeks of hot weather in the summer and we have a water shortage.

3 weeks of good weather and we get boil water notices.

Large majority of the countries sewage systems are not fit for purpose so sewage entering our water untreated.

Worst public transport system in Europe and our cities are gridlocked most weekdays.

Garda/ enforcement seriously under funded and under staffed with many towns having no Garda present at all.

Housing and accommodation availability at an all time low with homelessness at record high.

Hospitals seriously over stretched, nurses and doctors seriously under Massive pressure and only worse to come. Waiting lists for treatment running into years and local GPs non existent in alot of areas.

Alot more issues as everyone knows. But here is the question. Should our government not be trying to solve and sort out the mess mentioned above instead of trying to sort out the rest of the worlds problems. Were a very small island and imo have reached and probably over surpassed our duty of taking in and know Should start to concentrate on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Stupid comparison.

The population was a lot more rural back then with working the land the primary occupation at the time.

People were tenents on land that didn't belong to them living in what by todays standards were cowsheds and could be thrown out at any time by a landlord.

They were also totally reliant on the potatoes they grew because they could only afford meat a few times a year and when the blight destroyed the crop a million died of hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Reminds me of France, a country with hundreds of thousands of high quality holiday homes like this.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Fly to Dublin, free accommodation

Anyone who thinks this clown should have anything to do with anything concerning the health and functioning of this country must be mad.

It's not only the UK who has a dysfunctional government. Were just a wee bit behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

In fairness it is an awful lot to ask people to take strangers into their homes. There is no way of knowing how long they will be staying for, you don’t know if you will get on. Some of them will be suffering from trauma and the average person mightn’t be equipped to deal with that.

Fait play to anyone that did follow through and take people into their homes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

You have to be a really special person to invite strangers into your home indefinitely. That's not me. How anyone thinks that's a good idea is beyond me. Now if you have a spare house or granny flat and you can let that out for free, fair play. Who knows any landlords that give their house for free?

It’s sad that he died in the ambulance. Had he been in a bed, the outcome would have been no different, due to the DNAR order in place.

I have to repost this. It’s 1000% on point. Very well written. Especially this paragraph.

“It's a total mess and it's entirely Moscow's fault. Every single issue in this is down to a vicious little man in the Kremlin and it has caused death misery, displacement, upset and cost probably a few trillion at this stage. He's an utter ****.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sometimes the photo conceals the reality but Roderic's photo copper fastens the fact that, although he has impressive academic qualifications, he's a complete idiot who wouldn't be capable of functioning as a shoeshine boy in downtown Mumbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Likely scenario: Ukrainian people will end up living on Irish streets, but ah shur isnt it better than being bombed??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why have the inept FFG ministers outsourced this problem to the Greens? Surely Daragh OBrien needs to be leading this??

Worst government of all time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There was an easy way to avoid all this.

But we are well past that time now so its probably best to let the whole thing crash and burn, only then will the Government realise that we are a small country with limited capacity.

Something that rarely gets mentioned is that apart from finding a place to live there is also free healthcare for most of them that has to be paid for and this means more names added to the waiting lists and GPs put under even more pressure.

Europe might be footing the bill for the Ukrainians but its the taxpayer doing it for the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

How are the Georgians, Albanians and Somalis (often flying in from London) entirely the fault of Putin?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40984202.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Madd002

Your having a laugh right, centre parcs is almost full all year round and jammed at easter, summer, midterms and xmas, I only live 20mins away and have been twice. can't afford to go this year. Check how much their revenue was the last 2 years so it is most definitely not quiet for the winter-spring.

Listening to Katie hannon on rte makes me think some attitudes are changing among alot if TDs and ministers towards the influx of Ukrainians on housing and more importantly front line services. Took them long enough to cop on but better late than never. Perhaps all the supposed racists on boards who have been warning about this for months will be proven right after all. All the thread banned might get reprieved for being right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We had a vacant house that we inherited .,While we could have put it on the market we delayed that to offer it to a family fleeing a war zone . Its no skin of our nose as it wont loose value over the months . It is totally our gain because to see the relief on a mothers face and to get a hug and told we made a really difficult situation easier is worth gold .I know that in my heart in years to come I will look back and delighted I did this . I am not young and have studied history and admired those who reached out to refugees in other wars .A relative of mine was a refugee and until the day she died she remembered those who fed her kids and who allowed them shelter in barns .I would love to be remembered like that so its my pleasure to know I was able to reach out to a mother and keep her children safe .This is not a post to pat myself on the back but to explain that those who helped are also gaining something which is very much worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Put them out and let the refugees in.

The greater good etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Our politicians are making statements in public that would have been deemed far right a few months ago and some of them would have been forced to resign. That’s politics though, it’s not what you say that matters, it’s the timing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

If you cannot be civil do not post at all

I think myself alot of them thought sense would of prevailed long before now and alot were probably hoping that the leaders of the country would of done the right thing for the good of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Won't happen, the ones that are very much pro refugee would be ones heading to Centre Parks at off times of the year for one of their numerous breaks.

Things are not bad at the moment, but when the forecasted recession arrives, maybe even a depression when central banks and governments can't magic up something like a bailout or quantitative easing of some sort, then the shyte will trully hit the fan.

People will suddenly realise they don't want a bunch of blow ins sitting in that hospital queue ahead of them, lifelong taxpayers who lose their jobs from those nice multinationals will find it hard to stomach Ali, Ayofemi and Ivan who never contributed a cent getting the same amount as them.

And young people with no future, even in other age old economic havens for the Irish, will suddenly start forgetting all the inclusiveness they were spoon fed in school.

I think the future for Europe and Ireland eventually years later will be seriously right wing leadership and probably instances of troubles ala Northern Ireland.

Yes that is stark and very pessimistic, but the seeds have already been sown.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I don’t understand why we couldn’t have controls like Australia for example.

Its strict but fair.

Anyway it’s too let’s now. Past the point if no return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Watching the tonight show here, real lack of realism from most of the panel.

One said we can't expect people to change plans from other countries (interesting choice of words) as they have chosen Ireland and have bought tickets. Interesting wording.

Advertisement