Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Wow you really have great insight into whats about to happen in Ukraine.

I wonder is their anyone from the Ukranian government who may read your post? Maybe they might be able to relay this vital information to the powers that be so they can avoid this impeding defeat and quickly negotiate some kind of surrender to Russia....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I like to think I deal in reality, not make believe. As appalling, incompetent and obscene the Russians are I think they will win this war if Ukraine does not agree to enter negotiations before they start being driven back severely.

I don't want to see that. I'd hope they would make that decision before the Russian offensive, not after it.

A big FU to the mullahs

Jersulam Post reporting 10 iranian instructors killed in Ukraine strike

Site won't let me link.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think they only take Kherson if Russia has decided it's not worth them being on that side of the river and will abandon it anyway.

"We never wanted it anyway". 😀 I think I last heard that in the primary school playground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Well, Russia will continue to ATTEMPT to rise to the challenge and the West will continue to MATCH them. Ultimately though, the West can go far higher.

Only bizarre, flukey Western political upsets would allow Russia to win, whereas any combination of "quite likely" events will scupper them completely.

The most pressing matter right now is to teach Iran a good lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,513 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭seenitall

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When I read that post you reference and saw the name Jeffrey Sachs I immediately thought, no bloody way! 😁 A guy I've mentioned earlier in this thread who's full on behind putin/multipolar/hegomony/ritter/the duran/etc, well I was talking with him last mid week and he bought up the war/special military meh. At this stage I'm in mostly "oh right, yeah... really?..." mode with the chap. Anyway a while later he suggests that if I have questions I should watch a video by a certain chap. Expert, y'know. American(as if that was likely to make me confident...), has predicted all this(a common refrain among the putinistas), and his name? Jeffrey Sachs.

Fúck me, they really are writing from the same script. Even the weirdest flat earther yahoos in the West go off on diffeent tacks. And this isn't my first rodeo with this deja voodoo. The chap I know in Real Life(tm) comes out with Talking Point A and that day I see the same stuff on Twitter et al, and a couple of days later, here.

Basically it's so easy to respond/refute/debate these points because it's the second or third time I'm hearing/responding/refuting/debating them.

Then again:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Even if it was still only involving Russia and Ukraine, there will be no surrender from Ukraine, they know only too well what happens when Russians take over an area, they will fight to the last man rather than submit. But now, at least one part of the Russian propaganda is correct, that's the part where they say they are fighting not only Ukraine, but the EU, NATO and the US.+ all who support the sanctions. And they are 100% right in this. Putins actions have been and still are utterly repugnant to the world. Russia is finished, and was finished from 2014 when Putin put his plans for Ukraine into operation. They have a military and an economy which is falling apart. Putins best bet now would be to order a complete withdrawal from Ukraine and start reparation discussions, before his situation gets even worse than it already is. He is not going to win anyway, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Baltics and Finland have enough gas to see them through the winter.

https://news.err.ee/1608759793/analysis-gas-reserves-in-estonia-enough-to-meet-winter-consumption-levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I’m not saying you’re wrong.

But can you put up a link to what you’re quoting as fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If you deal in reality and facts, you can obviously let us know what towns/settlements Ukraine will loose over the next 2 weeks and the facts that highly suggest that will happen. Kherson has been in a media blackout and very little is know until days later.

Everytime someone starts stating that Ukraine has lost or XYZ is about to be lost cause Ukraine haven't made any significant gains is usually followed up with a Ukraine announcement that said towns/settlements are fully under Ukrainian control.

Tell me, how much area has Russian gained the past month and how much Ukraine has retaken?

Finally how is Russia going to attack from Belarus effectively if they have been shipping ammo and tanks from Belarus to Russia?

Ukraine have battle hardened troops on the border with Belarus, it's a rotation from the front line (as the Belarus border is quiet, the troops can rest while still being able to defend if needed) Imagine a new 40 mile traffic jam with Himars on the hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't read the situation in Ukraine in the same way as you seem to but then I never claim to be such an expert in geopolitics as you claim to be. The russian armed forces have embarrassed themselves throughout their invasion of Ukraine with estimates of their troop losses in the tens of thousands and losses of military equipment in the thousands. They have been left now reliant on the great industrial power house that is Iran to provide equipment to allow them kill more innocent civilians and make life more difficult for them as they simply no longer have the ability to face a real army which is what Ukraine now has. The russians are the invaders trying to survive an oncoming winter in a country where they are not welcome fighting well equipped troops on their home ground.

The war crimes that russia has committed would make negotiations with them impossible for Ukraine to consider until they have pushed them out of their country and I see nothing to suggest that "things could swing extremely fast" in russia favour. Is there some source you have for this great confidence in the russian armed forces as to me it looks like they thought attacking Ukraine was going to be a simple demolition of an armed militia and mass murder of civilians like they have carried out in the other recent conflicts they have pushed their troops into?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That Ukrainian Special Forces Ninja cat is about to clear a room of 5 sleeping Orcs. You think that nation of drunken, swamp dwelling, depressed low-lifes stand a chance?

Then there's their Ordnance detection cyber doggie:

That's just their pets! Their soldiers, well...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Necessity being the mother of invention...

They seem to have 3D printed stabilising tail fins and a detonation triggering cap and added these to what I suspect are 30mm launched grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just watched Occupied on BBC News. It's well worth a watch. It's a secretly filmed documentary by a family from Kherson during the Russian occupation. One sequence where the young daughter describes her fear of being bombed was tough to watch as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anyone else find it suspicious this long media blackout from Ukraine in Kherson. Meanwhile no major attacks launched and Russia appear to be conducting a long and slow evacuation. It's almost as if Russia and Ukraine have secretly agreed it to be returned to Ukraine but only on the condition they let them evacuate. And considering the bridges are blown this will take a long time to ferry everything across.

Also maybe the Russians rigged the Dam as leverage. Let them retreat without getting routed or they blow the Dam.

Post edited by RoyalCelt on

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Trust Russians really? they could be dammed if they do.

Russian deals are not worth the air we breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Interesting to see the usual demented mob trying to pro-actively downplay the loss of Kherson and up the pretend threat from Belarus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

If the Ukrainians win in Kherson I suspect it will be sudden; the Ruskies will fight like nazis until they cave in. Then all hell will break loose.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

See discussions that the Chinese invasion of Taiwan could happen much earlier than previously thought. I’d imagine that many in party looking at Russia would be against that. They would need to be purged before such an invasion. An invasion would have an impact on the Russian war, NATO may double down and try to make sure that Russia will be defeated quicker.

Unless of course that Xi would be against the war and needs to purge the pro invasion individuals.

I saw similar talk, estimates being revised from 2027 to before 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Two quick things..

I wonder if the US will give Israel the green light to bomb some Iranian facilities. Might be a warning shot to Iran over siding with Russia.

I wonder if there is an invasion in West Ukraine from Belarus, would NATO step in and bomb the crap out of Belarus? It wouldn't even have to be NATO per say, as far as I know the Polish military could do it on its own.

Belarus could be a prize here, after all this is sorted. There could be a regime change with a much more EU and Western-focused leadership in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

It'll happen about the same time as Ireland is forced out of the EU.

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Not the right thread for China related stuff surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Ukrenergo saying damage to energy infrastructure today may be worse than the October 10th-12th hits:-

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would they be Belarussian troops attacking or rebadged as Russian troops? That would be a factor, in the same way that Russian military have rebadged Iranian weapons and attempted to pass off as their own.

As for Israel & Iran, it won't be a huge surprise if there are mysterious explosions at some of the Iranian manufacturing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I see the Screaming Eagles are finally deployed in Romania, first deployment to Europe in over 80 years I believe:-

This follows the 101st Division Sustainment Brigade’s (the Lifeliners) deployment to Slovenia in recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Some good news from the USA. Mitch McConnel (Leader of the Republicans in the Senate) has issued a statement strongly supporting continued support to Ukraine - he actually advocated giving them more support faster.

That doesn't stop the problem with Kevin McCarthy and the House but at least it shows that the Republicans are very much divided on this and it is unlikely to become a purely partisan issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement