Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Big crowd for the most entertaining junior final I can remember. Lovely night for football & a very good first half with some great scores. But tighter in the second half but when the game was in the mix in the last 10 minutes Drumlane seemed to want it more.

Ryan Connolly’s equalising point, almost from the sideline, was magnificent. His winning point wasn’t easy either. Arva seemed very passive at times but well played Drumlane.

hopefully the weather doesn’t impact on the intermediate final too much tomorrow.

Sadly the intermediate final wasn't much of a footballing spectacle with the conditions. It was definitely a day for the Stand and in typical Cavan weather, when we were leaving Breffni the rain stopped and the wind died down!

Castlerahan the better side and in a day when scores were going to be at a premium they rattled off 1-3 unanswered. Ballyhaise did well to rally in the second half to get back to within a point but never seemed likely to get the score they needed to level and in fact panicked and started lumping in ball very high (and mostly inaccurately) to David Brady. Ballyhaise can consider themselves unlucky to be playing against a very strong breeze in both halves, but you would hope that Castlerahan give the Ulster intermediate a serious rattle this year.

Oisin O Connell was man of the match but some big performances all over the pitch, all their defenders played well and Euan Henry had Padraig Moore in his pocket. Struggling to think of a Ballyhaise player you would say played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It’ll be a miracle if the Clarke fool doesn’t cause a riot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It wasn't a great final yesterday Gowna were the better team from start to finish and deserved it. Some good players there who will hopefully come into the county panel at some stage.

I couldn't make it so was relying on Cavstream. The game seemed a bit flat for a final. I thought the referee didn't help in the early stages and there were a lot of frees which meant there wasn't much of a flow to the game. Fair play to Gowna, they performed on the day and since the second half of the first quarter final against the Gaels they have really picked up the tempo and improved with each game. Big performances from Cian and Tiarnan Madden, Conor Brady and Ryan Donohoe. The Fitzpatrick brothers kicked two great scores right after Martin Reilly's goal and those were crucial at the time. Special mention to Mark McKeever. Some performance, regardless of his age.

Killygarry will come again and they have proven a lot of doubters wrong and that was some run they went on from last year's game against Lacken. It is a very inexperienced and young team but lots of real talent and they will learn from that.

Encouraging signs for senior club football as the top three teams are dominated by very athletic, skillful players (Gowna, Killygarry and Crosserlough).

Post edited by baconsarnie on

• Advertisement

Jason, Killian, Gearoid and Gerry all listed in the inaugural Tailteann cup team of the year. Westmeath with 6 (fair enough), Sligo with 3 and Offaly and Leitrim one each. Fair call, all four were our most impressive performers over the course of four games. Ray and Thomas had exceptional games (Down and Fermanagh) but in terms of consistency i think the four here were the strongest over the 4 Tailteann games.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I thought Clarke was a tad lucky to get in there. Great to see Jason and Gerry getting the recognition they deserve. Jason in particular was outstanding this year.

It looks like we will have the Tailteann Cup to look forward to again this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Since the 2020 Ulster win, we have lost matches to Fermanagh, Wicklow, Tipperary & Westmeath. Tailteann Cup is our level unfortunately.

Thomas Galligan, Killian Brady & Niall Murray all confirmed as retired/unavailable next year and I’d expect more to follow as the county team return to regular training over the next few weeks. I’ve been told the names of at least two other players who started the 2020 Ulster Final that aren’t expected to be back.

Our performances in Division 4 last year were far from convincing so you’d wonder how we’ll go in a Division 3 that is like a mini Ulster championship with two of the teams listed above that beat us this year thrown in for good measure.

Mickey has a big challenge, he needs to introduce new blood and he needs them to slot in straight away.

It's a big year for the likes of Oisin Brady Cian Reilly and Niall Carolan who have some experience and now need to break into the team and find consistency.

Thomas Galligan is a massive loss. There aren't many wrecking balls like him in Div 3 and there's no replacing him. We still have a decent talent pool though and some of our most experienced lads are still in their prime.

I wouldn't be overly disappointed to be in the Tailteann again its round robin next year isn't it?

• Advertisement

You still have a good spine of experienced lads with Faulkner, Clarke, G Smith, Ciaran Brady (hopefully back to normal), McLoughlin & McKiernan. I believe all of those will continue.

Thomas Galligan is a loss but iirc has he not been fairly injury prone? Like a lot of that McRory Cup team that he was on. Not too many of a promising team has featured strongly for the county team, mainly due to injury issues.

At least we might now see the best midfielder in the county J Smith actually playing at midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Now the dust has settled on the season are there any players that made a case to be in the Cavan squad? For me the likes of Ryan Donohoe, Ryan Connolly, David Brady, Cormac Daly, Ewan Henry, Conor Casey worth a look. Big weekend for the clubs in Ulster and hopefully three wins and the two Cavan lads in Ballybay.

Cormac Daly? Has he not been tried and tested a few times before. What age is he now? Too inconsistent for me. I don’t think he’s as good as he was a few years back and I’d rate his counterpart Wright above him now.

Ryan Connolly has been in there too. Did well in a challenge against Monaghan at the end of 2019 and scored a point against Westmeath in 2020 League. Drifted off the panel since.

Which of the Bradys from Gowna marked Canavan in the U20 Ulster Final game last year? I’d like to see him in there.

I don’t think Ewan Henry will be an improvement on anyone in there.

Truth be told it was a poor club championship, mainly down to the tactics employed. How would you pick out anyone from, say, Ramor or Mullahoran and them playing downright terrible defensive football all year?

Regardless of what players are in there, the tactics need to progress. The top teams counter attack and move the ball quickly, something we are struggling with. Hopefully this new man from Mayo will instill some of their high tempo.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

This weeks' Celt confirms Niall Murray and Chris Conroy leaving the panel and "confirms a number of other squad players" have stepped away. I hope that none of the squad players are the likes of Paul Smith and McKenna from Laragh, as Mickey Graham was fairly clear that most players need at least a year of exposure to county training and S&C before they can expect to make an impact.

Celt also confirms McVeety back in and Johnny McCabe and Tristan Noach Hoffman (Arva) as well as David Brady.

Would have to assume that Connolly will get a call back in. He never got a decent run and when he was in years ago he looked very slight, but having seen him in action a few times this year he physically looks like a county player.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Any more word on Lynch and James Smith not being available?

Nothing in the Celt and the only place i saw that was HoganStand, so i would take that with a pinch of salt.

CavanKing would know more in fairness about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blue47

Thanks, would be strange if they weren’t available with McVeety coming back

They had a job getting James Smith to stick about for the Tailteann Cup last year.

Gowna out on penalties to Enniskillen. A real pity.

Didn't Smith pick up a bad enough knock in the league final. He was flying that day but at the championship game I overheard his uncle say he shouldn't have started against the Gaels and probably needed an operation- and then picked up another knock. Clearly wasn't next nor near himself for the Gowna game.

Him and Clarke in the middle would be ideal. Where does McVeety go in? He was magical as a full forward, but if you have Lynch and Gearoid in there, maybe McVeety goes into the half forward line with Cian Madden and Gerry Smith.

The Gunner features in the video for the launch of the 2023 jersey (with Faulkner). Would seem strange to feature him if he's not involved in the 2023 panel. I hadn't heard about him leaving but had heard talk about Conroy and Murray (and had heard one or two more).

Would be great for one year if we got an actual panel listed as opposed to the usual rigmarole of guess work and hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Re Brady, I was going off a Martin Tynan Cavan Club Championship post a few weeks back. Looks like it was incorrect.

I usually take his stuff with a pinch of salt but I had thought when he was coming out with a direct post like that he’d had it confirmed.

Great read, apart from the reference to Tyrone in the 2020 Ulster final!

Philip Brady has a post up now that Gunner was going to retire but did a u-turn.

Johnston gone as forwards coach. I thought he did reasonably well. Hopefully we can someone in there to bring the lads on another step up front.

Some very solid additions to the squad: Dara McVeety, Conor Rehill, Caoimhin McGovern, David Brady, Tiarnan Madden. Would expect all of those lads to get game time and a couple could get their hands on a jersey and keep it for the season.

You would imagine Tiarnan Madden will be there too and maybe a couple more from Gowna. Hopefully a few of last year's U20s can make the progression too.

Is that list coming from the Celt? As others mentioned, I would hope that the likes of Jack McKenna have stuck around.

Unfortunately, with the poor performances in the League, the Tailteann Cup Final was win or bust for the season last year IMO.

I’d be happy enough to see some changes and I did hear that Johnston was still heavily involved in Cuchulainns last year behind the scenes. There are plenty of club manager jobs available.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Nothing in this week's Celt about additions, so it might be the county rumor mill (again!). There is a very fine piece from Damien Donohoe recognising the significant contribution from Niall Murray and Chris Conroy.

Looking at the last panel (the "let's not mention it" game against Westmeath..) i think we had Carolan starting and Brian O Rourke and Cian Reilly on the bench. I would be very surprised if Carolan and Reilly (fully fit) are not pushing for places immediately. Have to assume that Lovett will start with the u20s but clearly he has bags of talent and such an exciting player to watch.

Big year for the likes of Oisin Brady, Conor Smith and Cormac Reilly. All got game time in the last two years but between injury, ill discipline and not just making the mark (yet) at intercounty, none of them have nailed down a place. All clearly have talent and has been shown at club level.

This time last year the talk was whether anyone could nail down a starting forward place and Paddy Lynch stepped up and did that and more. Obviously McGovern if back in is another one with lots of talent as well that showed flashes of what he could potentially do in 2020 and 21 and it is wonderful to see him back.

For me, the biggest position for someone to nail down and claim as their own is centre half back. Clarke was listed there for most of last season but mostly played in the middle (and did a fine job doing the dirty work alongside either Galligan or Smith in the league). It was mostly Moynagh who dropped back, but whilst he is a brilliant player (and was our most consistent defender in 2019) I am not convinced that he is a centre half. With the Holla back, Oisin Kiernan a cert and Conor Brady coming to the fore, surely it's one of those three to nail down that spot. Personally, I would like Conor Brady to step up and have a fully fit Holla and Kiernan as rampaging on the wings. I know Jason played half back a lot last year but i prefer him in man marking roles- but in fairness, wherever he plays, he never lets us down.

• Advertisement

Actually just listened to the We Are Cavan podcast and I would say that is where Keep the Faith got the names above. Also mentioned were Cooke and Brandon Boylan from the Lough, Oisin Kiernan from Denn. Also the Ava lads listed in the Celt and confirm the Gunner is still in. Rehill from Crosserlough coming back in would be welcome addition. He was outstanding in 2019.

Advertisement