Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bambi wrote: »
    never mentioned immigrants. kinda funny that you questioned one specific generalization in thread full of generalizations, why is that? :confused:

Let's face it, when I was growing up in Cork in the 1980s, other than a few medical students, there was only one black person in Cork. A huge proportion of black residents in Ireland are immigrants or first generation Irish. My point is that one of the positive factors about immigration in Ireland is that it hasn't created ethnic ghettos - immigrant communities are mixed, it is the lower working class / underclass Irish ghettos that lack ethnic diversity.

I've several posts on this thread, so I'm not just questioning "one specific generalization".

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

A pitbull is the family pet of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Victor wrote: »
    Let's face it, when I was growing up in Cork in the 1980s, other than a few medical students, there was only one black person in Cork. A huge proportion of black residents in Ireland are immigrants or first generation Irish. My point is that one of the positive factors about immigration in Ireland is that it hasn't created ethnic ghettos - immigrant communities are mixed, it is the lower working class / underclass Irish ghettos that lack ethnic diversity.

I've several posts on this thread, so I'm not just questioning "one specific generalization".

I don't know or care what cork was like in the 80s but I can think of half a dozen black families from my road in the 1980s. A rake of black people live there now too, its a rough neighborhood. Same in other rough neighborhoods. You'll always see more black people in rough neighborhoods in Ireland.

That might make you uncomfortable because if you're referring to blacks as an underclass, well thats different in your book I guess :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bambi wrote: »
    I don't know or care what cork was like in the 80s but I can think of half a dozen black families from my road in the 1980s. A rake of black people live there now too, its a rough neighborhood. Same in other rough neighborhoods. You'll always see more black people in rough neighborhoods in Ireland.

That might make you uncomfortable because if you're referring to blacks as an underclass, well thats different in your book I guess :o

No, I made two statements, separated by a comma
    My point is that one of the positive factors about immigration in Ireland is that it hasn't created ethnic ghettos - immigrant communities are mixed,
    it is the lower working class / underclass Irish ghettos that lack ethnic diversity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Rough the Scum bags area loves the Volkswagen Passat and Audi Cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

House price of under €300,000 is the latest criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Kid spray painting "Fuk da Gards" on the side of a house,

Then going to said house for his dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ramps ahead sign changed with a spray painted T to T ramps ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

"Salt of the earth" is a wonderful expression of filth

I lived on a council estate for 30 odd years and I agree with this statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Johngoose wrote: »
    House price of under €300,000 is the latest criteria.
    Ah ****e

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Number 1 Glue Sniffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bishopstown isn't what it used to be with all the middle class moved to Rochestown and Ballincollig to be replaced by young nurses and college students.

There are quite a lot of nurses and students around here to be sure - this situation will obtain as long as you can get €450 per month for a box-room in Firgrove. Regarding Ballincolling, while I can appreciate a certain number of upwardly-mobile Fintans wanting to "upgrade" to Rochestown, the only middle-class types who move to Ballincollig from Bishopstown are the ones who bought a second Land Rover Discovery in 2013 and are getting evicted around now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

3 or 4 scummy looking young lads sitting on a garden wall, watching another young lad cycling a (stolen) bmx around in circles.

Any unoccupied house has the windows boarded up, and the garden is full of the neighbours rubbish.

Any undeveloped area has a spiked fence and boulders across the entrance to prevent the relatives from moving in.

There are lots of battered "communal" toys like trikes and go karts abandoned at regular intervals.

Morbidly obese women in vests and tracksuit legs smoking in the garden while holding shouted conversations across the street.

The kids never look before running across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

When the local secondary school has an equestrian club but the students have to supply their own horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

When people have a chardonnay with their taco fries, when everybody knows it should be a malbec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Scorched areas on the park green, rubbish thrown around broken fences/windows and stray dogs everywhere

Why did you resurrect a Zombie thread from 2017 for this?

Could you not have found a more recent thread to moan on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When they put a green light on you as soon as look at you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

When you see a lad with a big Dublin Fire Brigade head on him allowing his pit bull to bust out a log cabin of copper bolts in the middle of the footpath and then just walks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It really doesn’t take much for the sheltered, firmly middle class in Dublin to foam at the mouth about “scumbags,” and “scrotes.” Usually all it takes is seeing someone wearing a grey tracksuit with their hair combed forward.

The denizens of boards.ie love to declare themselves to be these shining lights of enlightened centrist humanism, but as soon as they are exposed to the unseemlier parts of life themselves (eg meeting an addict in the street, hearing an accent they don’t like) these enlightened humanists turn into outright fascists very quickly.

It’s very telling that the vast majority of the posts in this thread are from Dublin. Dublin inherited a lot of the social behaviour from the UK and I would include the sneering at “lower class” people amongst those traits.

Unfortunately for those struggling against addiction, some people simply need to feel the warm glow they get from knocking the underprivileged down more than any satisfaction they could get from helping people in need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Properties with the interior and exterior expensively and elaborately decorated for Christmas on the 1st November, the day after they took down the Halloween decos which had been up since the day the kids went back to school in Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Lads going around in celtic tops.

Extra rough if there are even dogs with Celtic tops and im talking about the 4 legged kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Funny enough those same middle classers are happy enough to buy their cocaine and other assorted drugs off these lads in working class areas and then laugh down at them five minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hardly a Dublin thing. The rest of the country constantly mocks Dublin for all its "scrotes" and addicts etc. and the walking dead and how much of a kip it is. So looks like the rest of Ireland inherited these UK traits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I’ve never heard someone from outside of Dublin calling someone a “scrote.” It doesn’t happen.

ok well go to Reddit Ireland, that's the only place I hear it really, I think the younger generation use it.

Are you seriously saying the rest of Ireland don't look down on "junkies" and the less well off in Dublin? You're having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Do you bais usually just strawman yourselves angry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Advertisement

It come from the UK to Dublin as you imply then it goes on to the urban rest of the country from Dublin.

I don't think it is a uniquely UK or Irish thing for some people to look down on folk you think of as lesser value to society than yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Big sofas and mattress fires on the green at Halloween

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭XLR 8

Hand painted sign over the local shop, which is neither Spar or Centra but 'Gerry's local' shop. It'll most likely resemble a WWll bunker and everything will be behind the counter which will be protected by a bullet proof screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No google needed.

You see, you seem to be angry at something imaginary. A persona of a person you have just invented. A strawman if you will.

You then attack it, in anger, harvesting said emotion.

I also used the colloquial vernacular "bais" to represent a laid back, non urban dialect for the collective term "boys" as of course, you were quoting someone else.

So therefore, "You have made yourself angry by attacking an imaginary person / scenario, haven't you gentlemen?" would be the translation.

Missing signs. No numbers/names on the doors, broken glass or barbed wire on walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

graffiti on walls, random old bikes lying around with flat tyres, groups of ypung people hanging around on street corners after 9pm.shop,,s ,house,s boarded up,,empty for years.kids collecting wood, anything that can be used to make bonfires at halloween.bags of rubbish ,old beds dumped in random places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Addresses in bags of rubbish thrown into the ditches of rural roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

When Lifestyle Sports has an evening wear department.

• Advertisement

Which lifestyle sports out of curiosity? I'm getting married soon.

A pair of shoes dangling from the power lines.Or is that not a marker here?

Are they legal? Don't you need a licence to run a raffle?

Travellers settle but do settled people ever take to the roads? Nomad settled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

A flat roofed pub.

People with endless random tattoos.

House numbers painted onto walls.

Having a dog who's surface area is 90% teeth.

That's a weird looking dog. Are you sure it wasn't a crocodile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People beep their car horn when they see somebody they know.

The constant hum of dogs barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Housing estates where pit bull terriers are actually doing the drug dealing. 🤣 No, seriously, when I used to score a bit of hash in the late eighties in Glasgow, most dealers had pit bulls and the most common name to call them was Floyd. That was a giveaway to how rough an area was in Glasgow if all the pit bulls were called Floyd, obviously the dealers favourite sounds was Pink Floyd. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Signs that an area is middle class:

EVs and/or SUVs in every drive.

There's a Gaelscoil nearby and the kids have obscure first names in Irish.

Estates have names like you'd see in the Home Counties.

Hum of lawnmowers and ride on lawnmowers in summer.

There's an obligatory Residents Association.

FF/FG with a dash of Green stronghold.

Double barrelled surnamed women stronghold.

Advertisement