Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Munster match thread

Comments

And no brownie points for finding out who the ref is? Something that anyone with the IQ the size of a peanut - or larger - would regard as a lot more relevant to the outcome of tomorrow's game than whether or not the Munster players leave their physicality on the bus!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I mean, I might’ve thought someone with the IQ the size of a peanut - or larger - would be able to use Google to find out the ref in this day and age, but you live and learn…

Yeah, I think that's fair, but my point was it's not a full strength Leinster side you're up against either, just Leinster's depth looks to be a good bit better.

Ah ya, but it’s not just the depth is my point. Leinster have been able to call on more of their starting 15 on top of that too. Not to mentions the bench…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Edogbo would play 5 and Beirne would play 6 instead of JOD who should not make the match day squad based on recent performances.

The back 5 listed, maybe 2 of them wouldn't be in the squad. 6 2 split on the bench, Earls Conway Crowley as the back 3, with Murray and Nash as subs

Means Haley and zebo would miss out.

(For example)

Realistically every team has injured players for every game. Our injury list is much longer than the players I mentioned, lots of marginal squad players didn't make the list. Daniel Okeke, for example could have played given the injury list and he's a seriously good player unavailable after surgery on his leg)

We're playing academy players tomorrow not because we're throwing the game, it's because everyone else is injured (having said that Rudhan Quinn is an excellent prospect but our youngest ever capped player). And James French has lots of potential but is being thrown in at the deep end supported by a weakened pack. It's not how we would have intended to use him

What?

If the ref decides the outcome of a game in advance then why bother even turning up?

I’d largely agree with that tbh; while FTD’s comment about not being able to select all 5 back-3 players in the starting 23 is correct, it really just shows that we’re also missing guys from the 2nd tier as well on top of missing the first choice guys.

Like, depending on whether Frisch is first choice 12, which remains to be seen, there’s a decent argument we’re missing 6 of our starting 7 backs.

I'm not arguing Munster are missing more players, and equally, when I listed Leinster's injuries, I didn't kitchen sink, and didn't really list guys who wouldn't be in the 23. Munster are arguably missing at least 3 of their 5 most important players tomorrow (Beirne, O'Mahony, Casey - fwiw the other two on my list of Munster's top 5 would be Coombes and I guess Carbery), so I'm not taking away from that.

But - Leinster, despite having a close to a first choice tight 5, half backs and centres, definitely have a patchwork back three tomorrow (two centres back there), and our back row is younger and less experienced that the Munster back row too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Munster are in transition at the moment and need to focus on the basic targets of just making sure they qualify for the Champions Cup next season. They're just not in a place to realistically compete with Leinster at the moment so it makes sense to rest up anyone with minor sprains and knocks for the more winnable wins.

Yes Leinster are missing some players too 2moro but there’s really no equivalence here imo.

Munster are missing more of their starting 15 and more of the guys who would normally replace them too.

You mention Leinster’s patchwork back-3 for example (it’s your worst affected area); but even there, Munster’s is entirely patchwork also. We’ve a 10 at FB and Liam Coombes on the wing, whose best performances have come at 13. We’re missing our 5 first choice back-3 players who’d all start ahead of them.

So even in your worst affected area, Munster have at least equivalent issues. (And arguably you still have guys higher up your depth chart than Munster do tbh, specifically JOB).

Post edited by aloooof on

The back 3 won't be the deciding factor tomorrow. They only come in to play when the team is winning collisions. Munster won't win collisions if Murray spends ages pointing at balls or consulting about where to kick the ball

Our gameplan requires fast ball most of the time. Murray doesn't give us fast ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

Munster fans getting their excuses in early as always 😉

I've seen the ref and injuries so far. Surely there are more than that lads. Come on, yous can do better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's probably worth remembering that Deegan and Penny have only seen recent action against poor opposition. Deegan has not been impressive as a blindside either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Im not a munster fan but what exactly are people supposed to say? Do you have to have irrational belief as a fan, or can you just read two team sheets and be like ‘yea they should win easily’.

It is what it is.

I’m looking at these team sheets and there are 11 players on the leinster team who i consider to be better. About 10 of those are CLEARLY to MASSIVELY better. 7 of those are in the pack. And those numbers are as a result of me being really high on 3 of the munster players i picked. Alot of people would disagree with those.

It’s a big mismatch.. what are people supposed to say lol. And, thats before i look at the bench. Munster dont even have a lock on their bench! I dont think French has played since the wasps game last year. Quinn just turned 19. It’s an absolute mess of a team sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

We've had Leinster being dirty cheats as well. Sorry lads, I missed that one.

The most interesting thing to me about this game is how munster play in terms of physicality. Van Graan’s teams played very passive in this game last year.

The reality is for almost everyone on this team (bar Murray really) there is very little to lose. Whereas the leinster team is full of guys who will play against south africa probably. They do not want to get injured playing Munster C two weeks before.

The Munster coaching staff needs to get this team to a level of physicality that is on the very edge of acceptable or just past it, and see if Leinster are willing to get into that so close to a massive test match.

if they could set that tone early and maybe disrupt one set piece… eh… 25% chance? Max lol.

Complaining about a team being dirty is the ultimate of loser complaints in rugby. Its a dirty game.

This is pretty hilarious.

You think Munster fans should be positive despite the team sheets, and the bookies having them as 17 point underdogs?

Yet are relentlessly negative yourself when it comes to Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

43000 tickets sold apparently. Not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Speaking of, late notice I am unexpectedly unable to attend this game. Two tickets going free, usual caveat. I will say they're shite seats mind you, probably behind the end touchline to the left low down if tradition holds. But they're there if anyone's on the fence about going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Furlong drops out of the 23 with an ankle injury. Ala'alatoa starts and Thomas Clarkson moves up to the bench. Puts a massive dent in Leinsters front 3 advantage.

I partially expexted a last minute change with frawley moving to 10 and sexton being rested. Sexton seems like overkill against that team and it would be a great game to get Frawley some run at 10.

Hopeful for a functioning lineout more than anything else today.

McGrath was poor there. Had men outside but went for the snipe near the line.

Big crowd in the end for all the shite talk.

Ringrose subbed in for McGrath while the latter was at the bottom of the ruck for two consecutive phases. Great continuity in play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

Aherne a little unlucky there, he had hands on the ball first and Ryan didn't release it. Shouldn't have gone for the 2nd time though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can someone confirm who the Leinster 7 is. Scott Penney was named in the team but the commentator has said Connors twice when Leinster 7 was on the ball.

It looks like Penney to me.

• Advertisement

Ringrose is the best player in the country right now

Leinster very wasteful already.

Brace not giving us much here, bit of a dubious high tackle. Leinster player fell into the tackle.

Crowley dodgy under the high ball. Poor from Johnny to not capitalise.

Leinster have been dominant in the opening 10 but failing to put points on the board. Been a problem for a little while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I thought Aherne and Murray had legitimate turnovers, JOB sealed off a ruck too. Munster need to land on the field favourable side of Brace you feel.

No arms clear out by Ryan, penalty Leinster.

Leinster are cutting Munster to pieces

So frustrating that we can't convert to points

Clear block in that leinster attack, Munster defender taken out. Brace doesn't see it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dammit Murray, missing from one ruck, watched a counter ruck at the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

agreed, then we don't protect or present at our own rucks... Brace not helping..

Osbourne has a nice turn of speed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kleyn and Loughman having some serious impact collisions in D so far. Defending in general been strong, if a bit too reliant on the scramble.

Joey actually tackling well too

What was that penalty for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Diving on a ball emerging from a ruck (within 1 metre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Munster told to use it once, they dont.

told to use it twice, they still dont.

penalty is then given in favour of Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Munster being very wasteful so far....

If that's the call it was a poor one. It was at the Leinster players feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Did the two teams go on the lash together last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

What was that penalty against Leinster for?

One team being reffed so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement