Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My post seems to be deleted which responded to this?

You don’t know me and are confidently incorrect.

There are at least 124,000 homes in the US open to sponsoring Ukrainian refugees since you asked. More than Ireland if I’m not mistaken.

Drag what situation out? I’m not the poster or posters blaming refugees for not refreshing these websites while they travel on the suspicion the country they’re headed to might suddenly be “full” when they arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can you post a link then? Should be pretty straightforward.

You are confirming then that the article you posted doesn't contain what you said?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely shocking that the Government invited these people in and last night they arrived to the airport with no support in place . People arriving from war zones with no food or anywhere to go . Apparently someone got them to the Cappuchin centre to be fed there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the US has about half the population density and is about 140 times the size of Ireland, could do better tbh

At the same time we aren't claiming we're "full." Which was the point being refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

’Full’ is too definitive. However, refugees sleeping on the streets is symptomatic of a country that is reaching the upper bounds of the numbers it can reasonably accommodate.

Earlier someone posted a link that included an interview with one of the ministers in charge of immigration. He denied refugees 'sleeping in the streets.' Is there proof of this? He did say something about 1 case and perhaps there was some mental health issues involved with the individual in question.

I don't think they're sleeping in the streets. Are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I think the Government are looking for some breathing space at the moment, to assess the situation and try to come up with more solutions. That is not possible if people continue to turn up in large volume over the coming weeks as has been standard since the beginning of Sept. Along the lines of 1500 ukrainian refugees per week.

They also said they will be doing another call for pledged accommodation. It remains to be seen what number of accommodation this can generate. You cannot force people to open their homes if they are not willing to do so. The bottom is falling out now, don't see how we can magically make more accommodation available.

Also a number of the Hotel contracts are up soon. Many Hotels may not be willing to lose out on the takings they will generate for Xmas season for parties, package deals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

?

Evidence? Every second bar and restaurant in Galway and nearby towns are looking for staff. Two restaurantauers from Galway on the last word the week before last saying its a massive problem in the industry. Restaurants closing for some days in Clifden in July due to lack of staff. Unheard off.

Who said anything about exploiting? You basically made that up. Read before jumping in two footed.

We have a pretty good minimum wage here. Let these people fill the jobs we can't, if they want to. They might be here for 5 years, who knows. Let them earn if they want while theres an abundance of jobs.

However, don't let them in with no accommodation. That's not good for anyone.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

h*c*l*s*7 threadbanned <edit>

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The government are trying to get modular units built but are being blocked by NIMBYism everywhere they try.

So Restaurants... Bars... Accomodations... *opens envelope*

"Business that don't pay worth a damn to anyone"

Willing to bet many businesses offering €30/hr + benefits aren't fretting over a lack of applications or inquiries.

What's amusing about that, is that once the Ukrainians leave, these towns who cry about not enough housing, will have available... housing. In the town mentioned earlier, the field in question has been a paddock for the last 15 years. Imagine, from paddock to housing, all on the government (so, the rest of us.) But, can't have that they'd rather have the paddock. Oh, but they don't have enough housing, too.

Which of course means people to fill unfilled jobs, and places for them to live, and for the Councils, tax revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The pledged accommodation idea sounds good in theory but not the answer in reality. It's a huge ask to have people move into your home with all the issues that will crop up .With all of our other domestic problems it was sheer lunacy not to admit we have not the accommodation for all the numbers coming in and would have to sort out the existing people before letting more in .

The Journal has just updated the article I linked earlier. Talks on Monday to increase the allowance for pledged accommodation.

It also mentions some refugees have been reluctant to move on from hotel accommodation into alternative accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

The vast majority of hotels will do better financially keeping rooms full 24/7 in November,Dec,Jan and beyond on government contracts.

There's currently 25% of hotel rooms taken up with refugees,this number is only going up and I'd wager that it'll be 25% or higher even during next summer season.

I don't blame the hotels,it's just a simple financial decision that's being presented to them by a floundering system.

Obviously I don't blame the Ukrainians either,it's a sh1t situation but this way of dealing with it is going to decimate the tourism industry in Ireland.There'll be a major outcry about this sometime next year when the masses start to join the dots.

There may be an outdated notion that rural ireland depends on farming,the reality is it is almost solely dependent on FDI and tourism (both directly and indirectly)

I dont know what the answer is but it's not what's happening now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Invited ? The capuchins and staff in church st do a sterling job, actually an amazing job but they are not equipped or stocked or staffed to take on a huge upsurge in people needing assistance. That I’m getting from the horses mouth,so to speak.

they both feed, clothe and in addition give other advise and services including medical and dental services to homeless people. A relative of mine is working there… they are set up and staffed and funded to do so much… hopefully this doesn’t become a situation where those arriving from the Ukraine are given preference over taxpayers and citizens there too….

under the likes of Leonard Coughlan and Kevin Crowley it wouldn’t happen but as things are now there… staff and those relying on their services are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's hotel beds not rooms, important distinction.

Also because of the pandemic and bloody great big war happening in Europe and the uncertainty in the UK, tourism has not recovered to 2019 levels.

The reality is some of those hotels would have been closing for good anyway, 3 consecutive years of poor trade will do that.

Their reluctance to leave the hotels is adding to the constraints on helping newly arrived people getting a bed.

It makes more sense now as to why the Red Cross haven’t followed up on all the accommodation offers, and why there hasn't been another call of pledges yet.

I'm sure its nothing to do with them getting their 3 meals and not having to contribute to bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They're gonna pay our pensions from their dole hahahaha.

Kip.

I'll be banned now 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When asked what happened to the 33 that could not be housed last night, the Taoiseach said his understanding is they were processed in the Capuchin Day Centre near the city centre, but some chose to return to the airport.  https://www.thejournal.ie/refugees-accommodation-5900278-Oct2022/

Yeah, so no one sleeping in the streets. Not that sleeping in the airports great, either, but they're not 'sleeping rough.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I run a small domestic tourism business.

Summer 2020 and 21 were the busiest we ever had,ask any hotel or guesthouse and they'll tell you the same. For many (not all) those bumper summers leveled up or greatly helped the Covid losses.

This season was effected by international travel opening up and the Ukraine crisis,back to about 2014,2015 levels similar to the years coming out of the recession.

Surely you can see that the taking out massive chunks of the hotel stock is not a good idea? Trust me on two things,this % will increase and it'll devastate the domestic tourism market.Thats not even taking into account the huge amout of money its costing.As the situation gets worse they'll just throw increasing sums at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Michael Martin says government wasn't expecting the kind of numbers to arrive here.

It was quoted in the Dail that up to 200,000 could arrive.

He just looks ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not a word out of the opposition today.

Sinn Fein, Labour and all the rest know the public doesn't want anymore coming here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think he's just on auto piolet at this stage. He's not long left in the big chair. Could be a sinister move to leave a mess for the next fella.

Advertisement