Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

You get the standard autopilot which in my experience is very good thus far, on Thursday I drove most of the length of the M50 without touching a pedal all I had to do was keep my hand on the wheel, the car steered within its lane sped up and slowed down sometimes to a complete stop, took off again all with 0 issues, very relaxing drive, will be heading away for the long weekend and will be using autopilot and looking forward to it, the extras on the site are for EAP AND FSD but the included autopilot is imho excellent. Having bought numerous new cars previously and having spend 1000s on extras, I genuinely can’t think what I’m missing in the Tesla apart from CarPlay which I thought I would miss but I don’t at all, the inbuilt nav has been flawless for me and Spotify has been very good too. The Y has the upgraded sound system by default so to me it is pretty much fully loaded (apart from fogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cool, thanks lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How about we define bargain as a car that offers more than any other car for similar money, yet will have lower total cost of ownership?

@Gumbo - you forgot to mention the Supercharger network.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We are due to get an Ariya and will be paying €55k for it. As far as I can tell the differences are:

1. The MY has about 10% extra range.
    2. The MY has a substantially larger boot.
    3. The MY has faster charge times (170 vs 130).
    4. The MY has the glass roof as opposed to the sunroof that the Ariya has, but the sunroof on the Ariya is openable.
    5. The MY is faster (which is almost no interest to me as I’m after a family car).
    6. The Ariya has more safety and driver aids as standard including the self park and HUD etc.
    7. The Ariya has ventilated as well as heated seats (big one for me tbh).

Overall there isn’t that much between them. The tech spec in the Ariya is better, but the range on the MY is better. Ours also comes with the optional upgraded seats (we didn’t spec them) so it’s slightly more expensive than it would have been without them. For me there are very few differences that place the MY ahead for my personal needs and preferences. Obviously others differ there. If the Ariya doesn’t come through (which we’ve been assured won’t happen, but it was due in weeks ago) then the MY is probably the next option down on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The only thing I’d argue is the safety tech and aids.

The MY is the safest car ever tested by NCAP. It is safety Han the Ariya.

*Now I’m prepared to be wrong but what safety aids are better on the Ariya?

One thing I do miss from the Model S and previous cars is the opening sun roof though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I paid 48K for my 73KW Executive Plus Ioniq 5 in June. I think it's €50-51K now for the same spec?

1. The name is confusing here to most people I feel and confused with FSD as far as I can see. Autopilot is basically automatic cruise control with auto lane steer isn't it? The system in VW and Hyundai (only ones I've experience of) are basically the exact same as far as I can tell.

2. I've half leather in the Ioniq 5 with wool mixture and they're very nice. Personally I don't like leather as I find it very cold in winter and sticky in summer. That's just me though and I can see the appeal of them especially with how easy they are to clean.

3. I actually don't like sunroofs or panoramic roofs. Had a Yeti that had to have the sunroom replaced twice under warranty after allowing rain into the car and destroying the carpets. Never again. Panoramic roofs are nice but not something for me.

4. Ioniq 5 has heated front seats but not in the rear. They do have reclining rear seats though which are really nice on a longer journey. Does the Y have these as well?

5. I would have thought this is fairly standard on all cars now?

6. Ioniq 5 has the ability to get OTA updates now, as does VW group. I'd be surprised if Kia don't though? Bluelink app is much better than the VW offering. They all seem to have Car play and AA as they should.

7.Most EVs seems to be going with 19" wheels but I think 18" would probably be better all round for efficiency. Also those alloys on the Y are awful, the option wheels are much nicer.

8. I seem to get quite decent efficiency from the Ioniq 5, my wife is a different story though with her heavy foot on both accelerator and brakes! She seems to be up around 18-20kWh per 100km from my own calculations at the moment but that is starting the heating in the car a few minutes before leaving for work/home every day so a bit higher than it should be.

9. The only reason they have a ranger is because they've only one service centre in the country, if they didn't have a ranger it'd be chaos. I wouldn't spin that as a positive as the vast majority of customers will prefer to deal with a local dealer (who is usually within 30 minutes of them). I also see the lack of local showrooms an issue as most people prefer to see what they're buying and test it before deciding and if people have to go out of their way to do that then you'll lose customers.

10. I think the Ioniq has the Tesla beat for charging speed? Makes no odds to me as I've only charged once on the public network in the few months I've owned it as the range has 99% of our driving covered.

My dad has an ID4 first and was considering changing. I'll be telling him tonight when he's back from his trip that the Y has dropped in price and I'd say he'll be up to test drive it next week and could quite possibly place an order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

On the service centers they have more than one, not that there's any mandatory servicing

@TitianGerm - "10. I think the Ioniq has the Tesla beat for charging speed?"

Yes it has. On paper. Now if only you could find a working unoccupied charge point in Ireland on your route that could provide that charging power and that high voltage!

I rarely fast charge, but I'm looking forward to taking the Tesla on a continental trip without having to think or worry for one second about route planning or charging. You can only do that in a Tesla. Would I give this up to buy another car? For sure, it's no show stopper, but it's a huge advantage that I would have to go without

Also, Tesla AP is not just another level 2 auto steer and active cruise control like VW and Kia / Hyundai have. It is far superior.

I've always said that efficiency isn't that important when you have the range required, but the main reason the Tesla is so cheap is that it can get away with a smaller battery than the competition because of its efficiency. So Tesla have a 30% profit margin on the Model Y, where VW and Kia / Hyundai barely break even.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla efficiency is actually important. An EV is propelled by electricity, versus the alternative choices mentioned here the Tesla is much more efficient with it's electricity so a Tesla owner will pay way less electricity costs over lifetime of ownership.

Autopilot is not the correct term, it's Autosteer which is a better descriptive.

The Tesla App is far and away the best out there and also has the best in car navigation system of any vehicle I've used (inc Android Auto).

No servicing costs with Tesla. If travelling to the UK or beyond there is the SuC network which removes all charging headaches.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

1. it would be superior to other brands CC in fairness. No other adaptive cruise control matches it.
    2. Yes, personal choice. It’s an option in the i5 I believe but standard in MY.
    3. Again, personal choice alright. I miss the sunroof of previous cars as much as I like the glass roof I do wish it opened.
    4. MY has reclining rear seats, yes.
    5. Nope. Optional extra on many including BMW, Audi etc
    6. VW in theory but many still having major trouble with the software. Updates on other cars I don’t believe add half the features as Tesla can.
    7. Like all other cars, the base wheel do not a lot in the design stakes. There’s not many standard wheels that are “nice”. Agree the 20” are much nicer.
    8. Efficiency is Tesla king. I match your i5 efficient in my Model 3 Performance and considering I have dual motors pushing 500bhp if would be the equivalent of someone in a BMW M5 matching the MPG of a 520d.
    9. Ranger is part of the Tesla plan. They operate in the USA where there are Tesla garages on every other road. It is most definitely not an Irish provision.
    10. i5 requires an 800v charging station and for you to arrive at a set parameter. I doubt many, if anybody in the country will experience the 800v charging.

Both nice cars. The i5 is actually something I’d consider swapping into. I convinced my cousin to go i5 EV and order for May but never arrived so he is down to get his in January now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

A few things that I really like about the Tesla, that before I bought I never really thought about or felt I needed.

The app. Really is excellent, can do more or less everything including opening boot, bonnet, drivers' door if handle frozen. etc etc. Can see live cameras when in Sentry mode, excellent.

When I get into car it knows my phone so sets seats, steering wheel, mirror and other user settings. Likewise if missus driving.

Updates are so easy, new features very regularly. Got update last week, have just done another update today while at work. All done over app, car will tell me what's new when get into it again.

Not using Supercharging much, but nice to know it is there if needed.

Love the fact that whichever model you buy that everything is more or less standard, with new features being added so regularly..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Absolutely, can't believe the reactions from my base model 3. Perhaps because they are so rare down here in rural Co Wexford.

Was in local town a few weeks ago and there were roadworks as I went around a small roundabout. A crowd of about 20 or more school kids were getting an outdoor lesson at some historical site beside, noticed my car and one shouted "Tesla". They all looked around and waved and shouted. The poor teacher..😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

What is the charging curve like ? Is 170kW the max and how long does it hold this for?

How long to charge from 10-80% at a supercharger versus Esb 150kW or Ionity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Tesla infotainment is also probably the best compared to any other car. Fantastic for watching Netflix, Disney+, YouTube etc while waiting for kids from school, charging etc. it’s the only car in the market where you can play games (BMW will soon copy this) with an Xbox or PS controller so great for road trips while charging with kids. The new Ryzen chip is also super fast with PS5 type teraflops speeds so it will handle any future features and software updates no problem. The UI is super snappy and no lag and feels more like an iPad. Make other brands feel laggy in comparison. The software updates is a huge plus imho, keeps the car feeling new all the time with the updated features.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Ok, down to colour choice now blue or metallic black ?

also what’s the cost of the premium connectivity and is it worth it ?

Colour choice is very personal.

I’ve had Silver Model S, Red Model S and White Model 3.

White has, by far been my favourite and always had been. But I’ve had a long string of white cars.

I ordered MSM but I’m seriously regretting not selecting white and I May end uk changing!

Premium Connectivity is €9.99 a month. I personally think it’s worth it and have no hesitation paying it. I don’t drink fancy arse cocky coffee or smoke so it’s a pittance in comparison to those hobbies 🤣🤣

I have an allergy for subscriptions, so far my Teslas have come with free premium connectivity, but the Model Y won't, and yes I will pay the €9.99 a month (or I think it's cheaper if you pay per year). Totally worth it for the live traffic / maps alone.

As @Gumbo said colour choice is personal. I hate white, so I had to pay extra for another colour. My Teslas so far have been black, not a favourite colour of mine either. But I got good deals on them second hand and beggars can't be choosers. Red means no subsidy, so it was MSM or blue. MSM is a great colour but I've had a lot of grey / silver cars, so wanted something different now and the blue really pops. So it was an easy choice for me

The yearly sub isn't available in Ireland yet. Be nice if it comes as I heard it’s something like €99 for the year.

Like yourself, my previous 2 MS’s had free premium connectivity so it’s a bitter pill to swallow to have to pay on the M3 now but also like yourself, I too think it’s worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I too swallowed that pill but I've let it expire and nothing much coming up now as the nasty weather takes hold and mostly just work commute with flacs to entertain me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Finally put down a deposit on a Model Y RWD. The recent price drop has made it hard to resist tbh. For the same price as a model 3, it seems to be a no brainer really.

I will be coming from a mk 7 GTI i've had since 2015 so no doubt it will be a different experience. I'm planning on booking a test drive before I fully commit though.

Many thanks to all the regular posters in this and the other tesla threads on boards for sharing their knowledge and experiences so far.

And now, the wait begins...

That's an interesting switch, @Foreign Sports! Out of interest, did you ever test drive an eGolf? Excellent EV, very underrated.

The eGolf was never on my radar actually. Never really saw too many around either so maybe they were a sales flop in Ireland.

We also have a Rav4 PHEV in the family and I really enjoy how it drives in EV mode so I guess a full EV is the next logical step.

I've always been interested in model 3's though, so a model Y should hopefully fit the bill.

They weren't a sales flop, VW just decided to make only a tiny number of them. So much more refined and upmarket than the ID.3 though. The last of VW semi-premium quality. The ID.3 and ID.4 are just econoboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds just like ACC and CVlsnd keep assist which is standard on most cars now adays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Torn between MSM and Deep Blue Metallic. I really can't pick. Won't be able to get colour choice and white interior unfortunately.

Loose plan to get the Gemini wheels powder coated after-sale, unless someone knows a way to access official Tesla rims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Not far off but it’s a very good implementation, it’s more LFA than LKA and while standard on some cars I wouldn’t say most I’ve had to option it previously and is still an added cost option on a lot of premium EVs never mind ice buckets

@unkle That would explain it alright!

I guess the emissions scandal and fallout would have contributed to the build quality reduction in the ID cars.

I'm hoping there isn't a big difference in build quality between the mk 7 golf and the model y though.

My initial plan was to get the Gemini covers painted too.

But there’s some options online now that match the covers in a black, Matt or grey finish depending on your liking.

Amazon

ali express

greendrive

abstract ocean

• Advertisement

Some Wrap ideas already!

Advertisement