Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone accepting they can't compete?

Options
  • 25-07-2022 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Been a customer with Vodafone for over 20 years.

Moved my broadband to sky a couple of months ago to merge with tv and they didn't try to keep me as a customer.

Today I called because our (myself, wife, daughter) and my mothers mobile contracts had expired and we're moving to Tesco for a 50 phone and 30 Eur pm contract for 2 years for the 4 of us. Again they weren't bothered, they just said to call into Tesco and they'll look after everything.

Just found that strange. Are places like VF not trying to retain customers any more? Other people have same experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

They couldn't give a fúck.

Why would they when they'd have to spend an hour horse trading with a middle aged man on the phone for the sake of €5 or €10 per month, when they can just focus on making new sales to new customers and lock them into contracts.

They want the easy pickings, not to be flogging themselves trying to retain penny pinchers.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its all down to what the industry calls "churn" millions of people move every year. All that happens is that the providers end up with the same number of customers.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

The day I left vodafone was a celebration for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

While I don't think he means to be insulting, he is probably correct. VF are not in it for subscribers, they are in it for profit . They are just moving on to the next fella to charge top dollar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

Same here, I was with them from the very start in Ireland, but when they let the coverage go to **** in the 3 places I spend most of my time I thought sod that and switched saving myself a fortune in the process. New provider is not perfect, but a lot cheaper and far fewer coverage issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

Woah. Calm down there.

I called them and said we were moving and if I would have any outstanding bills. Took 2 mins and the girl was very polite, basically saying there's nothing she could do at the end (presumably to keep us on as customers).

I was just surprised that they wouldn't even try to match Tesco or retain us as customers.

As some sensible person replied its probably just the way things work now.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My wife called 3, asking for the cancellation team, as she was going to move to 48. They first offered to reduce her bill from 30 to 20. Said weren't interested as moving to 48 etc. Then they went down to a tenner a month. So she stayed. So some providers still make efforts to keep customers.

That was good and what I thought VF might do but they didnt even try which surprised me.

Anyway, we switched to Tesco today and each got an s21 FE 5g paying 30 p/m for 24 mths so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I've found whether in Dublin or West Mayo, the quality of the signal has fallen very noticeably. It overall fine in Dublin, but was once quite strong, relative to others, and now isn't that good. Hillside house, so signal was normally reasonable. I took Vodafone as meaning indifferent deals but strong signal, but for me, a subpar signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm looking at the s21 FE 5G for my wife. I've searched online and can't find out for certain if it has an E sim. Do you have an E sim with yours?

No. Just a basic micro sim and IMEI doesn't mention eSim so presume it doesn't support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

I've noticed this too. I think it's a slow degradation of service on certain bands like 3G in particular to move people onto the newer bands. Not sure but my best guess anyway.

When I cancelled with Eir last year they made some offer to get me to stay. I did not stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Westnet is what I use in Mayo for house internet. While nominally slower, it is reliable, including for streamed services like Youtube or RTÉ player. There another Vodafone offering, but it was just too expensive, and via hotspotting it wasn't reliable. I was put off Eir by stories from different people, even when the offers seemed good. Westnet are good for customer, while VF are okay. The old Rural Broadband scheme might have accounted for decent service in west Mayo. I've yet to see the fabled boxes near Mulranny.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Vodafone is in the process of shutting down their 3G network. Expect to be seeing more E when outside of 4G/5G coverage.

They’re reusing the 3G frequencies for 4G and 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Have they shut any 3g mast off yet? No mention of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

I’m not aware of any yet. They still have many many 2G/3G masts that will still take some time to upgrade.

Good few of these sites are just a single antenna on a wooden pole so will require a decent amount of effort to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niteowles

If you have your broadband with EIR you can add a sim only mobile phone to the bundle for €10 per month. for 12 months. Great value

I was wondering about them poles on how they’ll manage to upgrade them. Phone companies seem to be getting a lot of planning permission refusals these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Well there's no plan to switch off 2G as it's the 'universal service' so to speak.

I do feel that I've been dumped on to E more frequently in recent weeks but it could just be confirmation bias on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably easier to upgrade/replace an existing mast than apply for permission for a mast on a new site.

Two new Vodafone masts were installed in my area earlier this year, 24m & 27m iirc, where none existed previously, with little to no objection if memory serves.

I originally posted about VF not trying to retain me as a customer, which surprised me, but I understand now this is the way the industry operates, as a carousel with focus on new customers.

I'm with Tesco since. They use the 3 Network and the coverage is not as good, especially outside populated areas. Coverage is OK for me 99% of the time, but that 1% is a bit annoying. It seems to be fine when away (e.g. London, Paris, Malaga).

Overall I'm happy I switched (with new s21fe5g and 30 pm bill - offset by 30 each quarter using my €10 voucher (trebled) I get for shopping with them)...contracted for 2 years.

I put my eldest daughter on the €5 pm Virgin Media plan recently which is unlimited everything and no issues. I got one for €10 for my youngest last week (€5 offer was gone).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Re 3G also affecting PostMobile and Sky mobile starting next year on VF too.

I've noticed it's nearly always 4G for me. There's one rural spot where reception has gotten worse but overall, still find it more solid than non VF in rural.(I'm on PM).

Abroad, my roaming seems better on VF than family on other networks

VF don't care about prepay, their crap offers ensure low usage of their network vs usage of 48/gomo sims in routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Forgot to quote, see post underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

48 is Three, just the budget version, they under themselves, by €2.99, sounds highly unusual, irregular even.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Came to the end of a 24 month contract with Vodafone today so went to the website to switch over to sim only, I was on Unlimited Lite at €40pm and I'm amazed at how little saving there was in switching to Vodafone sim only. Basically just €5 less, also data throttling at 10mbps although as I understand it, areas that I could go above that are few and far between.

Bit reluctant to move away from them entirely, coverage has been pretty decent for the most part and my phone supporting WiFi connection to Vodafone mobile network, despite the WiFi being Sky, has made up for for the pocket of bad coverage in the house itself. Only the big three (3, Eir and Vodafone) seem to have 5g sim plans and it seems a waste to own a 5g capable phone and not use the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

Move to their pay as you go plans, for 30e you get everything and you can set automatic top up. I moved from billpay this year for the first time ever and its perfect.

I was paying 60e for the exact plan on bill pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Vodafone makes very little from a broadband customer. If you are paying 35 they are probably getting less than a tenner, the rest goes to British Telecom/Open EIR. They have to send you a modem, they need to run their customer support, they have to cough up the dough for non-paying customers.

They'll drop you like a hot spud if they see you giving any bit of trouble

• Advertisement

Anyone seeing any sign of this big 4G/5G upgrade and phasing out of 3G yet as promised by Vodafone? By late 2022 was the promise.

Vodafone are dragging their heels. Why are there still 3G only masts in places that should have been upgraded to 4G 5 years ago. For example Why has a big town like Boyle Co Roscommon still have a 3G only mast while Eir and 3 are 5G? There’s a lot of other areas that should be at least 4G and they are not. A busy little town Granard still has a a CB type ariel with 3G only bent sideways while Eir and 3 proper 4G/5G masts put up.

It wouldn’t surprise me if EIR are now ahead in signal quality and 4G/5G quality. They are putting up masts everywhere including rural towns and villages. Seems to be upsetting some of the locals though those monopoles springing up everywhere.

The Vodafone mobile network is quite dated in a lot of areas.

Advertisement