Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying a used car - family hatchback

Options
  • 17-10-2022 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

i need a new car, something like a family hatchback. i'm thinking kia ceed, hyundai i30, opel astra, vw golf, ford focus etc, these types of cars. 5 door hatchbacks.

i will need to finance to get a decent car. my initial deposit can be from 5000-700 euros, with monthly payment up to 350.

there are some cars available in the cork area, but which one of those i listed would be the best choice in terms of reliability? did i miss a model i should consider? it has to be bigger than my 2003 k12 micra, especially in the boot area, but i dont want a full sized sedan. i'm not crazy about high-end features, but some quality of life feature would be nice - stock bluetooth connectivityor android auto would be cool, as would be parking sensors, maybe even a reverse camera. not a must, but nice to have, especially for my wife.

i'm currently driving a 2003 k12 micra that i bought 2013 and up until very recently gave me no problems whatsoever. i only ever needed to go to a repairshop when the wheels made weird noises - the wheelbearing were done. other than that, no problems at all. but in the last 2-3 months i had to get the exhaust replaced and it recently failed the nct. i still want to keep the car as a car for my wife to do daily errands like bringing kids to school or driving to the local supermarket etc.

my point it, i kind of think i wont be able to get a recent car with such reliability. a buddy of mine still drives his 1999 micra with no hiccups at all.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I don't know anything about cars but half on the lookout for a similar type of car myself and came here to see what more knowledgable posters think. Some other models that I've been looking into are; Seat Leon, Renault Megane, Mazda 3, Toyota Auris. Not sure if they would be as good as the cars you've mentioned above (would love to hear someone else's thoughts on what the rough pecking order would be). Skoda Octavia seems to be a car that is recommended a lot, in my head an Octavia is huge but apparently it is not that much bigger than most of these bracket cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

oh yeah mazda 3 is also an option, but i believe while they are top notch interior quality, they are a good bit more expensive and offer less interior space than its competitors. toyota auris is also an option.

personally, i wouldnt buy seat or renault. no particular reason why lol, its just... spanish and french cars? i dont think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If reliability is your main concern, it would be hard to beat an Auris hybrid. You’ve effectively got a budget of €25k I think, so maybe look at PCP options on a new Auris (+/-€30k) as used prices are so strong on them you might as well buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭User1998

Was thinking an Auris myself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Auris name has reverted back to Corolla hatchback these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

There's a good selection of used VW Polo's out there, imported from Japan believe it or not, with low mileage and in great condition. You may have to travel to Dublin for a better selection. Also keep an eye on Done Deal and other motoring websites. If you're willing to take a chance on warranty etc. consider buying private, some cars may come with original manufacturers warranty left on them, especially the likes of Kia that come with a 7 year warranty. VW Golf, Toyota Corolla & Skoda Octavia are cars to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Advertisement