Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

I hope you get the reaction you looking for. Nothing been said in last few pages is off the rails.

Squad depth, lack of investment, poor form, injuries and players brainlessly switching off is becoming the theme of almost every away game this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Too many players on our books just happy to stick around and pick up the wage,you'd think Jones and ox when he came on would be chomping at the bit I know I bloody well would,this bullshit excuse of oh it's their first game they haven't played in ages is horseshit,although tbf it did look like it was their first football game EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I would have been happy with 6pts from those 3 games, today we were missing Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Thiago, Keita, Konate and Matip, all of whom would make a difference.

It highlights to everyone that the next level is either too young and needs to be managed, e.g. last 20 mins of a game, or are too old or simply not good enough. Jones for me is not starting for Forest, I do not understand what he does, his stats are probably fantastic but he is so slow on the ball, takes too many touches, always passing sideways or backwards, etc - definitely needs to be loaned out.

The World Cup is going to be great for us, only 3 games till Dec 26th, have to win the home games v Leeds and Southampton, then Spurs is a free one for now, gives up 22pts after 14 games and probably 6/7 points off 4th with 24 games to go.

On Jan 1st, we need to purchase 2 midfielders, if we are not going to then 4th is unlikely and the focus will shift to the Cups, hopefully we get a draw or better v Ajax & at least we are through to knockout stages of the CL

• Administrators Posts: 54,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Exactly. It’s a false equivalence to try suggest what’s happened this season is anything like previous ones.

Every week there is doubt about us. It’s nothing like previous years, this is beyond just a blip in form.

There is fundamental shortcomings in the squad and it’s costing us time and time again. It will cost us lots more as the season goes on.

The idea that we can go on a run of wins is based on nothing but hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

May as well give up then if you have no hope left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Am I nuts, or was Jones one of the few players actually trying to do something today? He was far from brilliant, but especially the longer the game went on he wasn't hiding and looked to get on the ball. He does tend to hold the ball too long, but he was trying to go forward with it anyway, not just passing it sideways along the halfway line like some of our more senior players.

Why? Liverpool fans endured since the last great team in the 80s, it’s not only reasoned posters who support their club, even if they don’t like what they see.

Every poster on here, reasoned and unreasoned is basically saying the same thing, we haven’t replenished the squad and it is now very obviously leading to a fall off in standard. This isn’t some novel observation, great teams age. The same happened to Dalglish’s great team of the 80s, Wenger’s team of the 90s, Ferguson’s team on the 10s, none made it back to the top when the rebuild was delayed too long. I posted a few years ago about watching a rerun of the MC v Liverpool match in 2014, MC had a fantastic team, a few years later in the same fixture only one MC player from that match was on the pitch, he was wearing a red shirt. Unless the players come in to restock a great team, it fades. That is no criticism of the players willingness, it’s just time catching up with them. Liverpool have missed too many opportunities to invest in quality, and last year seems to be have been the last dip in the well for a lot of this great team. Now Pool have to buy a lot of replacements instead of 1 or 2, and they will need time to bed in, plus we have to hope that they are capable of adapting to Klopps system. So, no, it is not all doom and gloom, this team is capable of days when things look rosey, but to compete at the top level requires consistently high levels of performance. Will we see that again without huge investment? Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭tinpib

No more " a draw is the best result for us here", it's back to "I hope United lose". Just as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I mean, we literally won 3 on the bounce before this but go on.

2 in the PL, Rangers are utterly useless, and no one would argue that WH deserved at least a draw. Loss to Arsenal and lucky not to lose to Brighton preceded the Rangers training session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This sounds like you've wiped the season before last from your memory or something... the form for much of that season was far from a blip! We lost 5 home league matches in a row ffs! We had a longer run of bad form that season that this season has been going for so far - at one stage we had 8 losses and only 3 wins in 14 matches - and still got top 4.

We might well miss out, but to ignore entirely what this team has done - and more importantly to label anyone who disagrees with you as delusional - doesn't make much sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Owners & Jurgen have really let the squad fall apart over the last few seasons, Now it's that bad u won't be able to fix it in one window or maybe even two

Look at today at RB we haven't had anyone to fill in for Trent since Klopp cmae here hownis that possible,

Last season looked like we finally had depth in the forward line for the first time since the 80s and we let 3 of them go & replaced then with 1

Midfield issues we've all spoke about for 2 years now

Missing out on the Champions league will be nightmare

Thaigo, Salah, VVD, Hendo, Matip would all be 33 before they play in it again for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Why is it FSG's fault? Klopp himself said he was happy with the midfield options. Do you want FSG to sign players Klopp doesn't want?

I see blame been passed to FSG a few times now and I don't get it. I don't recall any reports of Klopp wanting a player and FSG saying no. All reports said Klopp was happy with midfield options until we picked up another injury, which Klopp then said he got it wrong. We tried to sign a player, he went to Madrid and seems the club decided to wait for Bellingham. That's not an FSG decision, that'd be a Klopp and transfer committee decision.

FSG have spent 85 million (a club record fee perhaps?) on a player who has had 1 good season. It's about as risky a transfer since Andy Carroll, but it's who Klopp wanted, so FSG backed him. From what I can see, FSG have backed Klopp from the start, and this is echoed by the fact Klopp has never complained about our transfer business.

But happy to be proven wrong.

• Administrators Posts: 54,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jones is past the point of loaning out IMO. He has what, nearly 50 senior appearances at this stage? He's not going to get anything from a loan.

He needs to be either moved on or moved further down the depth chart with signings.

Your not listening close enough

Klopps always drops hints that he is being tightly restricted,

Do t for one minute think Klopp didn't want another MF & Another attacker this summer what manger wouldn't

Naby, Milner, Ox, Firmino all gone next summer& therwa no way we bring in 4 senior replacements,

I think Klopp might have enough come the summer & walk

Im not sure he is the type to hang the owners. It would be difficult to envisage a manager as ambitious as him being content to carry on with an aging team, and not want to replace Gini when he left.

I think your right

There'll need to be harsh truths

We need a summer like when we splashed on Fab, Naby & Allison,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He's already miles down the list.

Henderson, Thiago, Fabhino, Keita, Ox, Milner, Elliot and Artur are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Problem is that three of those are long term injuries or just returning and Henderson and Fabhino must have recurring injuries or are carrying something that means they're not fully fit.

Minamino and origi as "depth", a cup player and a sub, even you can't believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's hard to blame Klopp for such a dominating performance, probably the most dominating this season, a game where we had 15 shots, and 7 on target, with 11 corners, a game where the players had 4 chances where it was easier to score than miss. Can't blame FSG either, we had enough to win today, but for lack of conviction in front of goal. Haaland has real conviction in front of goal, for the most part it's the conviction and pace he puts into his shots and headers that beat the keeper, not the direction, it's pure pace and intent that makes it unsaveable. Today we made the keeper look good, always hitting the target with a lack of pace and conviction, making everything saveable

Tightly restricted? Hardly, we spend 85m on one player. Klopp has to work with a budget like the majority of managers, which he himself said just a week ago is totally fine. If the budget is so tight and we need a midfielder, spending 85m on one player probably isn't a good idea. Again, don't see how that is FSG's fault.

Ultimately, Klopp came out and said he was happy, there were zero reports suggesting otherwise. I'm gonna take the man at his word, as we have seen recently, he's not afraid to speak the truth.

There is nothing backing the point that FSG are holding him back. FSG backed him to create a squad that won everything, there has been zero indication that our transfer policy has changed since that.

Scored a lot of goals, and when they did, the first choices were rested or recovering from injury.

Why is it difficult? He literally said he was happy with his midfield options. He sanctioned the purchase of an 85m player, why would he do that if he wanted to enforce midfield?

We tried to sign a midfielder, he chose another team. All reports are saying we are waiting for Bellingham. We have done this before with VVD, it seems we are doing it again. I very much doubt this is against Klopp's wishes, and even more so doubt that it was FSG's decision.

It just feels like people don't want to put some blame on Klopp, despite him literally saying he got it wrong. He's not flawless at the end of the day 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Agreed. I would take what Klopp says with regards to wanting players with a pinch of salt. He has always come across as being very deliberate in not criticising the owners in any way to the media. Imo he has bought in to FSG's ownership model but he has struggled at times in various interviews to hide obvious signs of frustration.

He has see-sawed regularly between making out that the right players are not available to pointing out that the club isn't run like City etc. in reference to money to spend. The latter doesn't imply that there is money available that he is choosing not to spend.

The club are very careful with the media around transfers and money available. The goto communications to the likes of Pearce etc is typically the club are happy with the squad etc and don't expect to do any business. They were even rolling this line out when we had the defensive crisis two seasons ago during the January window. It is all stage managed to make it look like the club are never desperate and to prevent situations where selling clubs won't try to take advantage. I don't take it to literally mean that Klopp is happy with the squad. It is why I have concluded that when it comes to transfers both the club and Klopp are stage managing the media.

It is a little naive to think that what managers say during media engagements is 100 honest and their true feelings. Managers get briefed by the club media guys who will intruct them on what questions to expect and how to answer them. The media are managed. The rare times managers deviate is when they are under extreme pressure or their relationship with the owners starts to turn sour.

• Advertisement

They are both forwards who can score and create, today we brought Ox on as a 9 in October,

Taki got 10 in all comps

Origi got 3 goals in 7 Prem games last season

They scored when we needed them

I bet last season you were complaining about Minamino and Origi all the time as well. You post so much nonsense

We drop 3 pts, Chelsea and United drop 2pts each

Lucky us, we should be 2pts off 4th though! VVD is to blame for his poor choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Advertisement

But there is zero reports of Klopp's unhappiness. The man even said he got it wrong with regards to midfield options. Why would he admit to this if he wanted options and wasn't allowed?

We all knew when Rodgers wasn't happy, these things get out. There has been no suggestion of this with Klopp. There has been no suggestion our transfer policy and budget has changed from the one used to build a title winning squad, which Klopp was more than happy with.

So we should just ignore all the evidence we have and blame FSG? Seems to me people are clutching to just not blame Klopp.

Again, if the budget is so limited, why spend 85m on one player that's not a midfielder? That'd be a ridiculous decision, and certainly not one FSG would have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A few years ago, we lost 4-1 to Spurs and that result seemed to make the decision for the recruitment/ coaching team that something has to change. Both team structure and buying VVD.

I wonder if some decisions will be driven home today, and let's face it, it was an embarrassing result. I don't want to be overly critical on Jones as he is coming back from injury but today was bad and it might tell the club that he has not pushed on to the next level. Or that he can. There has to be a decision made on bringing in more midfielders and dare I say it Fabinho. He's looking like a 38 year old at the minute, not a 28 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Make no mistake about it we’re in a proper battle for top 4. Can beat anyone on a good day. So a league cup or fa cup wouldn’t be out of the question. But mentality monsters are long gone. Haven’t got the consistency, mentality or legs. Lost to the worst team in the league today.

Yes, rationality sometimes goes out the window in defeat, but thinking takumi minamino is the answer falls somewhere between ignorance and stupidity. (And I'd also bet money if I went digging I'd find him calling taki a championship player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Augme

It's doesn't really matter if it klopps fault or the owners. The investment and development of the squad over the past two to three seasons has been poor and comeback to haunt us. At this rate I'd be amazed if Bellingham doesn't go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Today was exactly the type of game him or Origi would score in.

The point is none of us know. We each have our opinion but nobody knows for sure which is right.

Just on your own, you seem to put alot of weight on the idea that what Klopp says to the media should be taken at face value as the truth. It is alot more weight than I would put on it given the nature of media interviews and managers being briefed by clubs on what to say.

It is my opinion that Klopp will never come out with criticism of the owners, irrespective of whether he wishes he had more money to spend. He has shown in the past that he prefers to take full responsibilty for issues upon himself, protecting both players and owners alike, even when it is clear he is not being honest in doing so. He has indicated he knew how FSG would operate when he took the job on, that there would be constraints with FSG making no secret of the fact they wanted to focus on making the club self sufficient and increasing its revenue. They have completed that goal in exemplary fashion. If you were to judge them as owners in a business sense they get full marks.

With regard to the Nunez transfer I think the club found themselves in a difficult position they were unprepared for and there was a sense of panic about the transfer. Mane had come out and said he wanted to leave, Origi was free to leave and had indicated he was leaving, and Minamino wanted more game time. We faced losing 3 attackers in one window and we still had Mo yet to sign a contract. FSG knew they would have to do something. They panicked, something we haven't seen from them before. I see the 85m spent on Nunez as unique in a unique set of circumstances, one that won't be repeated. We will continue to operate with a sort of sell to buy policy. Trouble is we can no longer rely on getting crazy money for academy players to boost the coffers.

Nice.

He’s got a fair point, having players of that quality as back up has its advantages, as both showed. Origi left a hero specifically because of the number of times he came on and scored important goals.

Correct, none of us know, but the evidence points in one direction, and most here seem to be going the opposite for no apparent reason other than we can't take Klopp on his word at press conferences, which is a pretty weak argument in my opinion.

If Klopp wasn't happy, you'd get a sense of it. We have seen this time and time again with manager's. Klopp literally said he got it wrong, why would he do this if it's actually FSG. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought Mane had informed the club his desire to leave well before the summer. I get no sense of panicking on the Nunez transfer, it seemed planned in my opinion. Either way, FSG would not have been the ones to pick Nunez and that price. That would have been Klopp and the transfer committee, they would have decided where to allocate the money. And by all reports, we are waiting on Bellingham, again, not something FSG would decide. All evidence suggests FSG leave it to the team to decide transfers, so why they get blamed for a lack of transfers is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I really don't get the impression Klopp is unhappy with the owners. He's unhappy that 3 clubs have cheat codes for unlimited funds. He clearly prefers working with the money they earn. If we are to take him on his word he'd want every club to have to earn what they spend.

Ox and Naby are what's costing us. They should be the lads running the midfield by now but they're taking a massive wage to do nothing. It's not their fault but they have to go and be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm of the firm belief that if a malaise happens, then it's better for it to be painful and obvious.

This is now painful and obvious. There's no guessing to be had here. The squad was wrung of the last of its best last season, and it was not refreshed sufficiently.

Football is notoriously cyclical. If you don't refresh, you fall behind, and it can be dramatically quickly.

I firmly believe that this is too obvious for nothing to be done in January. A VVD style signing must happen for midfield. I can't watch any combination of our midfield if we're Thiago-less. He's a sicknote, Naby is Naby, Curtis hasn't progressed, Fabinho looks physically spent, Hendo's past his peak physically, Harvey isn't ready.

The season will drift into nothing if we don't fix it. We can still pull out performances, but there is no chance of consistency with the current state of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

To be honest, if its a choice of Bellingham for 100M or two very decent 50M midfielders, I'd be going for option B.

What evidence? The entire basis of your opinion is simply taking whatever Klopp says to the media at face value. It's not really evidence if you believe, with reasonable cause, that what managers tell the media is not always their true feelings. It is managed.

Mane informed the club he wanted to leave after the champions league final. I don't think the Nunez transfer was planned. The necessity of replacing Mane was definitely a factor, as was the fact Salah hadn't signed a new contract.

Nobody is assigning sole blame to FSG. There is a shared responsibilty on all of them. I just don't believe it's all on Klopp and his team that the squad is in its current state. Do you honestly think that a manager of Klopp's experience and success, backed up by professional coaches, medical teams and statisticians, thought it was better to hold on to the likes of Ox and Keita than replace them and not spend money if it was there, or that our much celebrated transfer committee and manager identified just one midfielder, just one, that would be an addition to the squad?

Klopp's words are proof, just because you don't believe them doesn't mean it's not evidence. That's your choice, but ultimately, it's only your opinion that what Klopp is saying is untrue, there is nothing to back that opinion up.

There was an article or 2 that Mane informed the club in January, it only became public after the CL final. How true that is, I dunno, but it would seem unlike Mane to spring that decision on the club.

But let's say Mane was a surprise. The club still went after Tchouameni (with the knowledge Mane was leaving) and then when he chose Madrid, appeared to make no attempt to sign another midfielder. That was clearly a conscious decision with the end goal apparently to wait for Bellingham. The blame for that cannot fall on FSG. It has to fall on Klopp and the transfer committee.

I mean this transfer window proves he thought Ox and Keita were enough (along with Elliott and Jones). Otherwise we would have signed a midfielder. We literally tried to, failed, and then decided to wait for the right one. There is no way FSG is making that decision, it's 100% on the transfer committee and Klopp, just like they decided to wait for VVD. The money was there, they just opted to spend a huge chunk on a forward.

From everything we know, FSG give a budget and that's about as much say they have in transfers. So unless the budget is small, I find it hard to place blame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Bellingham will have his pick of clubs and with the way this season is going you couldn’t imagine he’ll be considering liverpool. The age profile of the squad is all wrong looking forward. This team is coming to end of its cycle. You’d have to imagine it’ll be madrid or city for him.

I'd have like them replaced yes, Replaced being the vital word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Taki especially Origi were great backups but we always pines for better ones.

We now have five better forward options, we just seem to have two or three of them injured at all times along with our midfield and CBs.

Something isn't right there.

Taki was never the answer but losing himself & Origi & replacing them with nobody brings you further away from the answer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There was some talk during the summer about signing Nunes form Sporting Lisbon, but the deal never went through as Liverpool wouldn't pay an extra £3m. Not sure how true it is, but he was strongly linked at the time. Ended up signing for Wolves.

• Advertisement

Some players live for the art of the goal, the goal needs scoring in an artistic way, the ball has no business going into the net other wise. Haaland is all about the numbers, I literally can't remember a single goal that man has score in his entire career, he's the most forgetful scorer I've ever seen in football, while Salah has scored goals we'll remember for years, and not just Liverpool fans, everyone, Firmino is the same, every goal needs a signature.

Today we were guilty of looking for that piece of art, when all was needed was a BING BANG BOOM finish, a forgetful goal.

Haaland has 17 goals this season, can anyone remember his 1st? his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, I could go on all the way to 17. .. no you can't, either can anyone else. Bottom line he puts the ball in the net, and takes his pride in the numbers, not the art of the goal.

Advertisement