Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Yes and they can at 17 is my point I don't want to hear about what they are up to. I'm not silly enough to not know what people get up to. It all comes down to the law. Either raise it or don't. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If this is the way you look at these things then maybe it really is straight to livid. I wouldn’t be as quick to go straight to livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're entitled to your opinion on the topic as much as I'm entitled to mine. We clearly don't agree but that's fine too.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

It is difficult to come up with a compelling argument for it though isn't it?

It's unlikely we'll agree in this so it's probably best to respectfully disagree and leave it there.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, I’ll say this. You’re easy to engage with on it. Balanced, sensible and fair.

Last point. And my point: your daughter gets to 17, and is a lovely intelligent and mature and good person. Emotionally mature and physically mature.

She introduces you to a 27 year old, and before you know they are dating, you and him engage. He comes across as a very caring, kind, gentle and thoughtful person. She then tells you that he and her are an item, and dating. And that she is really happy. Do you just disregard her and him, and all their traits and qualities and go straight to livid?

this is my point: there is detail, nuance, context to consider before you can truly say how you’d feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Nope, several older by 10. Those were mutually beneficial relationships as far as I could tell. I would not write off late teens as a group as being naive little things that don’t know what they want.

°°°°°

The situation you're outlining is unlikely to occur. I'd be hard pressed to imagine a wonderful 27 year old man who'd be looking to engage in a long term relationship with a 17 year old girl.

There's not much else to say here, the rate of responses is crazy here and I'm done posting for the evening.

All the best.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In what realistic context does your 17yo daughter introduce you to a 27yo? Because there isn't one that doesn't set the creep alarm off....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The point I made originally was that the level of maturity of a 17 year old today isn't what it was in the past

In regards sexual education, awareness, respect and boundaries?

Like fúck it isn't. You have a remedial perspective on what when on in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

This girl should be hawled before the courts and given severe punishment, falsely claiming she was underage while they were together.

No fan of McDermott but man done nothing wrong but had his name gragged through the mud. She cannot be allowed to get away with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just for context

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

I enjoyed his drive time slot on 2fm, when he was moved to the morning slot it really didn't suit his show at all

°°°°°

To be expected when your two biggest role models are Lord Mountbatten and Jimmy Savile.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It would appear it actually may be a crime.

Harassment, Harmful Communications and Related Offences Act 2020

4. (1) A person who—

(a) by any means—

(i) distributes or publishes any threatening or grossly offensive communication about another person, or

(ii) sends any threatening or grossly offensive communication to another person,

and

(b) with intent by so distributing, publishing or sending to cause harm,

is guilty of an offence.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a person intends to cause harm where he or she, by his or her acts, intentionally seriously interferes with the other person’s peace and privacy or causes alarm or distress to the other person.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section is liable—

(a) on summary conviction to a class A fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Again the big issue here is a guy who built his career around me too and wokeness told us men we have to do better.

Using his position as a well known dj who young girls would have idolised to engage them pick them up from school and bring them to the boozer isnt great fot his image.

He really needs to clarify all of the allegations made. Yes he has been rightfully cleared of doing anything illegal but it still wasnt acceptable for him to do what he did.

Finished until he answers some questions. This will always follow him amd their will always be whispers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id find it very odd and worrying if said 27yo were picking her up in her school uniform and giving her drink. I wouldnt be having it.

As a 17yo school girl she wouldnt have the same life experiences as a 27yo who had been out in the big bad world for years. Its plainly obvious that this girl was taken advantage of. She was a school child. Was in no way ready for a relationship like this. Its a power thing with men like that. Yes he could have had a relationship with any female his age but he wouldnt have had the same hold.

As ive said before its telling that all of the content of the girls account wasnt challenged. Only the age which is obviously crucial. But also are the various other aspects of the story which werent cleared up.

Australia can have the guy. I wont be listening to a hypocrit like him lecturing me about male toxicity and he carrying on like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭newhouse87

finding it hard to believe people are saying this is somewhat ok just because its legal(just). He was more than likely in contact with her before she was of legal age. Would people think its ok if he was messaging a 16 year old girl at 27 but not doing anything illegall?

@Gusser09 Will you ever stop this bitterness just because apparently the guy used to be a woke idiot? None of this should matter since the accuser is a confirmed liar.

The problem with trials by social media is that it puts the onus on the accused to prove their innocence, rather then the accuser/ prosecution to prove their guilt. It’s as if the witch trials have been resurrected when you read some comments here.

would it be ok if he was messaging her when she was 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How is something “just” legal, in this case it is binary, either it is legal or it isn’t depending on age.

You can argue about the morality, no disputing that, but she accused him, falsely, of rape. Everything else is just about personal opinion.

• Advertisement

Whats the point in making up potential scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah sure four years and a day earlier and she'd have been 14.

Just turning 18 makes it just legal to drink but yeah i get your point. Its the fact some people are suggesting morally he has nothing to be ashamed off. I find it abhorrent being honest as most likely he was messaging her before she was 17.

Just looking for your hypothetical opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

If they were in the UK 16 would be fine. Sure in Spain someone can consent at 14 with someone about 2-3 years older. I assume all these places are morally bankrupt. May be the EU needs to have a word with Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ya, it certainly is worrying behaviour, but we only know what has been divulged in the media, we don’t know anything about the maturity of the girl. Taken a face value it looks bad, but most of us understand that age isn’t always an indicator of mental development. Many 17 yr olds are living away from home either working or in third level education and are indistinguishable from people older. The emotive issues here is her age, and that we all see her as a school kid in a uniform. Not a nice thought, but may not be the full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

these social media companies need to decide if they are a publisher or platform.

if a publisher...they can censor/delete info as they see fit as they are on the hook if something goes wrong.

as a platform, they have no liability. its essentially a blackboard and anything that is written is the responsibility of the writer.

problem is, they want both when it suits. something they dont like...get rid - thats a publisher. something someone sues over....thats not us, thats on the person who wrote it...thats a platform.

its been juggled for prob 10 years now?

where do i come down? if its illegal, censor it. if its libel then someone can sue. aside from those 2 things, there is no issue; so a platform is what i think they are.

ETA: another option: let these companies decide what they want to be

I can’t see why exchanging messages in general would be an issue. Unless you automatically assume sinister intent of course.

Well personally i think a 27year old messaging a 16year old is sinister and nothing anybody can say will persuade me otherwise. All free to an opinion of course.

• Advertisement

Your not acknowledging the age difference in this case. Any 27year old messaging a person of 16/17 is morally bankrupt yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement